Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Unread 06-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Default Extended rear sway bar links install

I got the Skyjacker extended rear sway bar links (originally made for FJ Cruiser) but they fit our platform too. Looking for a bit more articulation from the rear. Here's the install;

Started by jacking up the truck and measuring rear wheel flex. I have 12 inches from top of tire to fenderwell.

Loosened and removed the bolts on the factory links both sides.

The new links were assembled on the bench with plenty of grease for the polyurethane bushings. These bits are much beefier than the factory pieces. The sway bar nuts and bolts are 19mm pieces and the top nut is a 14mm piece. (Factory is 17mm and 12mm) I had to slightly widen the hole in the sway bar end cause the bigger bolt wouldn't quite fit. Used a 1/2 in drill bit.

Assembled the new links with the bolts and nuts on loosely ready to tighten, both sides.

Here's the final product, tight and ready to go. Took me about 1 hour start to finish including jacking, measurements and pics.

I even got to try out my Hi-Lift!

After the install my flex was still 12 inches so I think my stock length shocks are at their limit for articulation. When I get my Billies installed next week we'll see if articulation changes.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
bulldog
Admin

How much did the links cost? Also how much longer than the stock ones are they?

Make sure they don't hit on your lower axle links. IIRC 3/4" to 1" longer is the limit before it will hit the lower axle arms.

The links will only help with much longer shocks. Also they reduce the stress on the swaybar, and although you can't always measure the difference there is a bit more "weight" on the drooping wheel. More weight = better traction.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
The links were $62 shipped from Rocky mountain suspension products, about half price of the Wabfab units. They are 15/16" longer than stock. I got the idea from Alexjet, he's running the same links.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
Unread 06-21-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
bulldog
Admin

Cool stuff.

Pity they didn't get the bolt sizes 100% though, but I guess a little work never hurt anybody.

See how they pan out in terms of touching the arms, after you get your new shocks.

2019 Low Rider
Unread 07-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
zonzin
Rookie

Thinking about getting these. How did the clearance got with the axel links? Any contact?

zonzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

The links have plenty of clearance even with the longer shocks. The flex has improved. I have not experienced any contact between the swaybar links and lower axle link.
Unread 07-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Blowout
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mudder View Post
The links have plenty of clearance even with the longer shocks. The flex has improved. I have not experienced any contact between the swaybar links and lower axle link.
Were you able to do a before and after measurement yet?
2006 SR5 V8, DR front and rear, Camburg UCA, 17x9 ProComp 8107, 285/70/17 Procomp Xtreme M/T, SW sliders, Curt front trailer hitch, front/rear removable Smitty 8k winch, dual batteries, Baja rack, Airlift 1000, HID - high, low, fog, DIY front (disconnect) and rear (fixed) end links, LED backup, pin striped by manzanita and buck brush...
Blowout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

No, I've been doing a motorcycle tour of the Northwest for the last week. I can tell you this, after I put the Bilsteins on my flex improved by 1 inch. I'll put the truck up on ramps when I get back to finalize the flex measurement.
Unread 07-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Blowout
Senior Driver

Quote:
No, I've been doing a motorcycle tour of the Northwest for the last week. I can tell you this, after I put the Bilsteins on my flex improved by 1 inch. I'll put the truck up on ramps when I get back to finalize the flex measurement.
It must be difficult to text while riding and get your spelling right as well

Interested to get your results at some point. I'll most likely use these links as well.

Thanks for the write up!
2006 SR5 V8, DR front and rear, Camburg UCA, 17x9 ProComp 8107, 285/70/17 Procomp Xtreme M/T, SW sliders, Curt front trailer hitch, front/rear removable Smitty 8k winch, dual batteries, Baja rack, Airlift 1000, HID - high, low, fog, DIY front (disconnect) and rear (fixed) end links, LED backup, pin striped by manzanita and buck brush...
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
waskillywabbit
Rookie

Quote:
The links were $62 shipped from Rocky mountain suspension products, about half price of the Wabfab units. They are 15/16" longer than stock. I got the idea from Alexjet, he's running the same links.
Half the price...I can see why. No heim joint, you have to drill things out (going back to stock someday will be interesting) and adjustable almost an inch.

Bolt on, heim joint and adjustable 3" or more...so yeah, mine cost just a bit more.

Great idea for what you got, but not comparable to what I make at all.

Facebook
waskillywabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit View Post
Half the price...I can see why. No heim joint, you have to drill things out (going back to stock someday will be interesting) and adjustable almost an inch.

Bolt on, heim joint and adjustable 3" or more...so yeah, mine cost just a bit more.

Dude...
I was not comparing your links to these in any way. I was simply drawing a price comparison to the only other rear extended links I'm aware of. I actually tried to order your links from the website, but I could not find them.

So please,
I did not trash your product, which any idiot can see is clearly superior to the product I got, so don't trash my mods.
Unread 07-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #12
Blowout
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit View Post

A post like this demonstrates a lack of business acumen.

Publically slamming a potential customer (ie ) is not a way to gain more of them.
Unread 07-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Dude...
I was not comparing your links to these in any way. I was simply drawing a price comparison
You weren't comparing, you were just drawing a comparison? Ok...

I see nothing wrong with what Wabfab wrote. 4mudder points our the links he got were cheaper, Wabfab responds as to why. I missing where he "publically slammed a customer". Maybe I'm just partial since I have his links.

Everyone is so quick to get excited!
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #14
Blowout
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post

I see nothing wrong with what Wabfab wrote. 4mudder points our the links he got were cheaper, Wabfab responds as to why. I missing where he "publically slammed a customer". Maybe I'm just partial since I have his links.

It was the ...I suppose i'm sensitive when it comes to a company responding to a potential customer.
Unread 07-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #15
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:

Poor choice of words on my part. Yes I did compare the 2 on price alone to let others know there is another option available, albeit more expensive. Wabfab's post could have been written in a way that doesn't deride my choice of parts.
Maybe "Yes, our links do cost more, but you get heim joints and full adjustability for a little extra money..."
And just for the record, my truck is never going back to stock.
Unread 07-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #16
bulldog
Admin

These links are one option, Wabfab and Downey are 2 other options. Each have something different to offer. Either way with long shocks in the back extended links help relieve stress on the swaybar and also help getting it back closer to the original operating angle. Only thing to watch is to make sure there is no contact with the axle links under full flex.

Thx for the mature responses guys. Let's stay focused on the tech.

2019 Low Rider
Unread 07-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #17
Blowout
Senior Driver

Quote:

Make sure they don't hit on your lower axle links. IIRC 3/4" to 1" longer is the limit before it will hit the lower axle arms.

The links will only help with much longer shocks. Also they reduce the stress on the swaybar, and although you can't always measure the difference there is a bit more "weight" on the drooping wheel. More weight = better traction.
If this information is correct (which I assume it is), the link can not be over the 1" on the 4runner. So the advantages of the Wabfab is narrowed to the bolt size being stock and the heim joint. No advantage in the ability to extend to 3". Am I understanding this correctly?

Does the heim joint need to be serviced similar to the UCA uniball? A post regarding Camburg UCA's indicated these were similar joints.
Unread 07-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #18
bulldog
Admin

Yep, 1' or so is about the max you can go, unless you drop the bumpstop.

No need to service these heims, they don't have too much to do.

2019 Low Rider
Unread 07-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #19
waskillywabbit
Rookie

Quote:

Thanks Mike.

The links he got are cheaper for a reason, I pointed out why. If someone wants to buy the cheaper parts that is their prerogative, but they at least need to compare the same kind of apples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowout View Post
It was the ...I suppose i'm sensitive when it comes to a company responding to a potential customer.
How about this one?

Quote:
Poor choice of words on my part. Yes I did compare the 2 on price alone to let others know there is another option available, albeit more expensive. Wabfab's post could have been written in a way that doesn't deride my choice of parts.
Maybe "Yes, our links do cost more, but you get heim joints and full adjustability for a little extra money..."
And just for the record, my truck is never going back to stock.
Show me where I "derided" your choice of parts. Sorry, but I just don't see it.

You opened the door as to price, so I stated why your choice was obviosly cheaper based on the actual differences.

Quote:
These links are one option, Wabfab and Downey are 2 other options. Each have something different to offer. Either way with long shocks in the back extended links help relieve stress on the swaybar and also help getting it back closer to the original operating angle. Only thing to watch is to make sure there is no contact with the axle links under full flex.

Thx for the mature responses guys. Let's stay focused on the tech.
Ask bulldog, he has my links. See what he says or read his thread.

I think he was the first to put them on a 4th gen 4Runner.

Facebook
waskillywabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #20
Blowout
Senior Driver

Any response to the topic questions?

If this information is correct (which I assume it is), the link can not be over the 1" on the 4runner. So the advantages of the Wabfab is narrowed to the bolt size being stock and the heim joint. No advantage in the ability to extend to 3". Am I understanding this correctly?

Does the heim joint need to be serviced similar to the UCA uniball? A post regarding Camburg UCA's indicated these were similar joints.