Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Unread 07-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
AZtoCO
Rookie

Default Advice please - complete front strut assembly(s)

Hi. Our 2007 V6 SR5 is in need of front shocks/struts - 132K on the clock and ooze down the shock bodies pretty much confirms it.

I've gotten a local shop to give me an estimate on replacing the shocks. They quoted the parts as the left and right Monroe Quick-Strut Complete Strut Assembly(s). A little web searching also brought up the Rancho RS999913 Quick Lift Loaded Strut as a possibility. Both of these come with the springs already mounted on the shock, so the labor cost is reduced. (I'm going to pay to have it done - I already have enough knuckle scars and I'm getting too old to crawl under the truck.)

The truck is mostly a daily driver along with 9-hour highway rides between our places in AZ and CO. We do go off road a fair amount (I'm retired and am an aspiring landscape photographer), but we're not carrying a lot of gear nor are we into 'extreme' 4-wheeling.

I would like to rid the truck of the noise down stance Toyota seems to cherish and it appears the Rancho system will do that, though it appears the user has no control or adjustment of the lift. The Monroe's do not claim to lift, though one review on Amazon said it did (at least initially). Also, the Rancho shocks are adjustable (9 settings) where as the Monroes are not.

All the reviews on the web discuss how easy the install is, rather than comment on things like ride, stance, etc. So, I'm wondering if any forum members have experience with either of these products or have alternative suggestions.

Thanks!
AZtoCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
HOJeepster
Driver

I haven't heard much about the Rancho system for 4runners, but another popular choice would be the bilstein 5100 shocks with either stock springs or FJ Cruiser springs.
Unread 07-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
AZtoCO
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOJeepster View Post
I haven't heard much about the Rancho system for 4runners, but another popular choice would be the bilstein 5100 shocks with either stock springs or FJ Cruiser springs.
I had seen on the board the popularity of the 5100 solution, but was thinking I'd be better off (less $$) going with the assembly due to less labor costs.

I may have to rethink the solution. I've never been a fan of Monroe, but no little about Rancho, hence the post. If no one has had good experience with the Ranchos or Monroes I'll have to reconsider the Bilsteins. Both Ranchos and Monroe have lifetime warranties, but I'd have to suck up the labor again (or add to my knuckle scar collection).
Unread 07-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Honestly Ranchos are not that great. I had them and couldn't wait to get rid of them. The Bilsteins are a good choice. If you are not intending on lifting the truck then they would be a better choice than stock. Or just get stock replacements.
BTW, rockauto.com may have some really good prices on stock type replacements.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

A quick check on rockauto shows a KYB strut assembly (complete with spring) for around a $100 ea. and the Rancho Quicklift for about $150 ea.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
Unread 07-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
AZtoCO
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mudder View Post
A quick check on rockauto shows a KYB strut assembly (complete with spring) for around a $100 ea. and the Rancho Quicklift for about $150 ea.
Thanks for checking 4Mudder.

I went ahead and got a labor quote for using Bilsteins and the stock springs. Turns out its a wash to go with the the Billies, so that's the way we're going. Found them for $95 a pop on ebay.
Unread 07-20-2015, 05:09 AM   #7
beerman
Driver

Default Bilstein

What kind of Bilsteins did you buy? I am looking at the Bilstein 5100 sold in 4 Wheel Online.
beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #8
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

I have 5100s on the rear.
Don't know what 4wheelonline is quoting you for billie 5100 struts, but i found them at shockwarehouse.com for $109 ea with free ship.
Check my signature for details of my setup.
Unread 07-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
AZtoCO
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
What kind of Bilsteins did you buy? I am looking at the Bilstein 5100 sold in 4 Wheel Online.
I got 5100s, bought them at Four Wheel Parts (http://www.4wheelparts.com); $94.99 each with free shipping. Note, if you want to adjust the height you need to get Bilstein part # 24-239370. Apparently they also sell the shock in a non-adjustable height configuration.

Can't comment on the ride or stance yet - the truck is at the shop now for the install.

Tags
lift, monroe, rancho, strut assembly