Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Offroad Tech and Tips > Offroad Tech

Unread 06-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #81
97kurt
Administrator

Bringing this back up since I got some PMs. My kid is finally at an age that I can run an angle grinder/cut-off wheel with out him thinking the world is coming to an end. So if anyone has a bracket that they need plated feel free to contact me.

The old way of sending a plated one and waiting for a core return is dead to me.
Unread 06-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #82
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97kurt View Post
Bringing this back up since I got some PMs. My kid is finally at an age that I can run an angle grinder/cut-off wheel with out him thinking the world is coming to an end. So if anyone has a bracket that they need plated feel free to contact me.

The old way of sending a plated one and waiting for a core return is dead to me.

Right on Kurt!! Now there's options, and if anyone needs to buy a brand new OEM support bracket (or anything else!) PM me, and we'll get you a deal!! And Then, send it out to Kurt!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #83
97kurt
Administrator

Bringing this back up again. I'll have one bracket plated and ready for sale in the next week or so. I have done a few more in the past year for other forum members. Feel free to shoot me a PM if your interested in these.
Unread 08-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #84
Ludedude
Super Moderator

Kurt
Ludedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #85
bahndrvr
High Tech Red Neck:)

Old I know, but does anyone still see the pic's on this, wondering as I don't get full access at work, will be doing this soon to mine, with the 35's now want to try to address the little known issues before I break **** as going on a full day wheeling trip soon
315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) - Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - Wife's
bahndrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #86
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahndrvr View Post
Old I know, but does anyone still see the pic's on this, wondering as I don't get full access at work, will be doing this soon to mine, with the 35's now want to try to address the little known issues before I break **** as going on a full day wheeling trip soon

If you haven't got a new Beefed up Kurt fab differential support bracket #2.........I Highly recommend it........because it really sucks crap when it breaks, and they never want to break that bracket, as it will break at the very Worst time, and you'll be screwed!!!!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #87
bulldog
Admin

Pics show for me.

As Robert says, something well worth considering if you wheel it.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #88
aha2988
Driver

I had a t4r member request this service from me but I no longer have the setup to provide this. I've been re directing any requests to this thread and Kurt based on his latest thread posts. Let me know if this is an issue Kurt.
Unread 05-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #89
bahndrvr

Thanks guys it was work, once I got home I could see the pics. I just wanted to see the cut they were making and how it was looking this is something I can perform myself in an evening but wanted to be sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05-20-2017, 09:45 PM   #90
bahndrvr

Default Passenger front diff bracket

Did mine, cost me 4 dollars for the metal rod at Lowes then welded half, BFH to bend after the curve in center, weld then BFH again to get some more curve Enjoyed it was first time I went thicker than exhaust or sheet metal with my crappy flux core since I modded it (D.C. Conversion, cap and heavy duty ground) and it did amazingly well to such thick metal.

Unread 05-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #91
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

I'm one to support doing your own work but...while what you have done probably has added a little strength, you really needed flat bar to extend around the entire round top part of the bracket as that appears to be where most of them break and I'm not sure you have much penetration with those welds. It looks like the hot metal is more just sitting on top like slag, rather than getting a run of penetration. Again it probably isn't worse than stock, but maybe grind some of that metal down and maybe see if you are getting penetration and run some new beads. It appears from the pictures you have lots of holes in the welding. I had a similar problem when I welded my relocated body mounts. Wyatt redid my welds because he felt I didn't have enough penetration and the beads were not flowing. His were so much better.
04 V8 SE, RST Twin stick conversion, RST Tacoma Front Axle conversion, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 remote resi coilovers and Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #92
bahndrvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
I'm one to support doing your own work but...while what you have done probably has added a little strength, you really needed flat bar to extend around the entire round top part of the bracket as that appears to be where most of them break and I'm not sure you have much penetration with those welds. It looks like the hot metal is more just sitting on top like slag, rather than getting a run of penetration. Again it probably isn't worse than stock, but maybe grind some of that metal down and maybe see if you are getting penetration and run some new beads. It appears from the pictures you have lots of holes in the welding. I had a similar problem when I welded my relocated body mounts. Wyatt redid my welds because he felt I didn't have enough penetration and the beads were not flowing. His were so much better.

Thanks, it has good penetration I just kinda went over to attempt to make the flux welds look better lol. I was not aware of where the breakage was but I have more metal so I can pull it back off in the future and make it go around it The first pass on the first side didn't have a good penetration but tinkered with the settings on the elder and saw a huge difference and the stock bar did respond much better once it was heated as well!

Unread 05-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #93
aha2988
Driver

when I did these I would heat the 2 bolt hole end really well with a torch until the bracket was warm to the touch on the far end with the bushing then I welded from the bushing side back to the 2 hole side.

Clamps will pull the flat plates into the contour of the bracket. No hammer needed though I'm sure its fun. I haven't seen any counts of the newer thicker brackets breaking without plates so any added strength is good measure.