Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Unread 05-17-2017, 06:35 AM   #261
pjku79
Rookie

Along the same lines at Josh, I have already purchased a toytech boss 2.0 setup for the front and have a set of icon 2.0 shocks that I bought used. I am considering the MT LT springs because I do like the rake and I think if I go with the Icon MD (2.0" lift) it wont have the rake.

As some point I do plan on doing a DIY rear tire carrier probably without the bumper, so it won't be too much more weight, but for now I am planning on stock weight with tire in the stock spare position.

My questions are, will this be too much rake? Will the ride be too rough?

I have seen lots of flex pics with the MT LT springs but none with it just sitting unweighed down.

Lastly, I have a bump stop question. I am planning on putting some of the rubi tires on (255/75/17). At some point I might get bigger ones, but these were brand new and basically free. If I put the Icon 2.0 shocks on with the MT LT springs and these tires, I don't expect to have any issues with the tires hitting things. Does that mean I should be fine with the stock bump stops? My understanding is the bump stops are there to stop larger tires from hitting things and also to stop the up travel before the shock bottoms (which I don't expect from the Icon 2.0).

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by pjku79; 05-17-2017 at 06:48 AM.
pjku79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #262
Rick B
Rookie

Would this help? I do have a 32.4" spare underneath and about 70lbs of recovery equip/tools and such in the back.

I did have some rake right after install (as I expected), but it settled down after a few months.

I try to take pics from the same vantage point as I modify a rig to get a better idea of al the changes, but I probably have some others somewhere if you need another angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjku79 View Post
Along the same lines at Josh, I have already purchased a toytech boss 2.0 setup for the front and have a set of icon 2.0 shocks that I bought used. I am considering the MT LT springs because I do like the rake and I think if I go with the Icon MD (2.0" lift) it wont have the rake.

As some point I do plan on doing a DIY rear tire carrier probably without the bumper, so it won't be too much more weight, but for now I am planning on stock weight with tire in the stock spare position.

My questions are, will this be too much rake? Will the ride be too rough?

I have seen lots of flex pics with the MT LT springs but none with it just sitting unweighed down.

Lastly, I have a bump stop question. I am planning on putting some of the rubi tires on (255/75/17). At some point I might get bigger ones, but these were brand new and basically free. If I put the Icon 2.0 shocks on with the MT LT springs and these tires, I don't expect to have any issues with the tires hitting things. Does that mean I should be fine with the stock bump stops? My understanding is the bump stops are there to stop larger tires from hitting things and also to stop the up travel before the shock bottoms (which I don't expect from the Icon 2.0).

Thanks for the advice.

Former Jeep XJ and Nissan Pathfinder (R50) and NEW Toyota 120 owner...here to lurk and learn.
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #263
pjku79
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post

Would this help? I do have a 32.4" spare underneath and about 70lbs of recovery equip/tools and such in the back.

I did have some rake right after install (as I expected), but it settled down after a few months.

I try to take pics from the same vantage point as I modify a rig to get a better idea of al the changes, but I probably have some others somewhere if you need another angle.
You have 3" coils in the front though and spacers in the front, correct? So I should expect my front to be about 1.5" lower.
Unread 05-17-2017, 07:59 AM   #264
pjku79
Rookie

Nevermind, I just realized that was a BL not a coil lift. Thanks for the pics.

Any comments on the bump stops? I assume since you have the stage 2 that you have the long travel shocks and the bump stop relocators from MT that came with the kit.
Unread 05-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #265
pjku79
Rookie

Rick, I found your build thread and more pics. Thanks. Just the bump stop question now.

Also, how to you like the ride with no weight in the back?
Unread 05-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #266
Darklight
Old Timer

The HD LT coils ride without weight is a little stiff (nothing harsh), with weight it is very controlled and the rake is still there. Hope that helps a little.
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Clazzio black Leather, LR UCA's ,OW Radflo 2.5"coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 285/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, TJM 10K winch, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, A-ha diff bracket 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #267
Rick B
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
The HD LT coils ride without weight is a little stiff (nothing harsh), with weight it is very controlled and the rake is still there. Hope that helps a little.
I honestly wish I had gone with the HD coils. I've heard good things (like Darklight has said) even with out much weight in the back. I plan for a rear bumper/swing out in the future and should have just gone for it. Just my opinion.

Former Jeep XJ and Nissan Pathfinder (R50) and NEW Toyota 120 owner...here to lurk and learn.
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #268
pjku79
Rookie

Great!!! I just purchased a set for $200 so I will let you guys know. I'll be updating my build thread as I go.

My new setup with be toytec Boss 2.0 in the front with icon 2.0 and MT LT springs in the rear. At this point, I don't think I need to change the bump stops because I am only going with 255/75 tires and I don't plan on getting longer brake lines since I don't have the MT LT shocks.

Sounds reasonable? It's kind of mix and match. Hopefully it works out.
Unread 05-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #269
pjku79
Rookie

Heres my build.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...05-v8-4wd.html