Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Gallery > Gallery

Unread 05-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #101
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

The dual battery is already coming in handy.... somehow left my DRLs on all night, went to leave for work and came out to a battery that read 9.1 volts

One flick of the switch connected my aux battery to the main, truck started right up! I really love this mod already.
Unread 05-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #102
Darklight
Old Timer

Sounds like something screwy is going on electrically to begin with. Is everything grounded properly and what all do you have connected on a constant connection verses acc. Very odd that the drl s would be on ? Is your amps running off a remote lead?
Good thing you have the dual battery set up now and it's already helped but what is the underlying problem is what I'm wondering.
The stock battery and electrical system like lights usual shut them selves off after 30 minutes to prevent a voltage drain. At least in the 4th gen.

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Clazzio black Leather, LR UCA's ,OW Radflo 2.5"coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, TJM 10K winch, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, A-ha diff bracket 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #103
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
Sounds like something screwy is going on electrically to begin with. Is everything grounded properly and what all do you have connected on a constant connection verses acc. Very odd that the drl s would be on ? Is your amps running off a remote lead?
Good thing you have the dual battery set up now and it's already helped but what is the underlying problem is what I'm wondering.
The stock battery and electrical system like lights usual shut them selves off after 30 minutes to prevent a voltage drain. At least in the 4th gen.

Bobby
This has actually happened to me before, several months ago before I did any mods related to wiring. Here's the story:

I use Android Auto on my head unit, which puts Google Maps up on the display. Last night while driving home the map wouldn't switch to "night mode" like it usually does automatically when you turn the headlights on. When I got home I took my keys out of the ignition to restart the head unit, then started fiddling with the DRL/ headlight switch trying to get the map to switch to night mode (which eventually started working). Apparently this confuses the ECU or whatever into thinking that you actually want the DRL on and doesn't turn them off when you lock the car like it normally does, you have to manually turn the DRL switch to off. It's stupid and weird but that's the way it is. If you have the DRL on while driving, then park it and lock the doors with the key fob they turn off (or turn off after 30 minutes if you don't lock it). But if you start messing with the switch after parking it leaves them on. I think it has something to do with getting a signal from either the parking brake or a signal when switching from D to P. Not the greatest design, regardless of what's going on.
Unread 05-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #104
Darklight
Old Timer

Screwy huh? That shouldn't happen Yeah, I think you're right. As long as you turn the acc or keys out and vehicle off. the setting for the lights will stay and turn themselves off. If you take the keys out and then turn lights and switches they will remain on.
I thought they would still cut off though after a certain amount of time or a voltage drop? Maybe you can add some sort voltage drop cut off for the vehicle? I know the sPOD has one built in to shut off after a voltage decrease is detected. This is only for accessories of course.
I'm sure there is something out there to connect to the entire vehicles system.

At least you have the dual battery set up now!

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Clazzio black Leather, LR UCA's ,OW Radflo 2.5"coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, TJM 10K winch, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, A-ha diff bracket 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #105
bulldog
Admin

Always good to get use out of a mod soon after. What do you have connected to the aux battery?

I use my Aux battery to run comms (cb, ham), GPS & fridge as well as aux outlet in the back. This way I don't drain my main battery when camping and leaving those items on. However the aux battery can get pretty low at times on trips, and won't help much to start the truck if the main is drained. I also found that when doing hard winching (recovering a few trucks back to back) it helps to manually close the circuit for both batteries and have both driving the winch.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #106
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
Screwy huh? That shouldn't happen Yeah, I think you're right. As long as you turn the acc or keys out and vehicle off. the setting for the lights will stay and turn themselves off. If you take the keys out and then turn lights and switches they will remain on.
I thought they would still cut off though after a certain amount of time or a voltage drop? Maybe you can add some sort voltage drop cut off for the vehicle? I know the sPOD has one built in to shut off after a voltage decrease is detected. This is only for accessories of course.
I'm sure there is something out there to connect to the entire vehicles system.

At least you have the dual battery set up now!

Bobby
Eh, I'm not worried about it, especially now. Usually I'm more mindful of what I'm doing, I was just tired and ready to get to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Always good to get use out of a mod soon after. What do you have connected to the aux battery?

I use my Aux battery to run comms (cb, ham), GPS & fridge as well as aux outlet in the back. This way I don't drain my main battery when camping and leaving those items on. However the aux battery can get pretty low at times on trips, and won't help much to start the truck if the main is drained. I also found that when doing hard winching (recovering a few trucks back to back) it helps to manually close the circuit for both batteries and have both driving the winch.
So I swapped as much over to the aux battery as possible. I've got a fridge relay, LED bar, bumper cornering lights, headlights, stereo/ amps, and a few more things running off it. I even installed a switch for the head unit so I can turn it on and play music without having my keys in the ignition at all. Main reason I did all this is so I can run music and lights while setting up camp at night or tailgating without ever touching the main battery. Theoretically I can run everything for quite a while without dropping the main battery voltage at all. It'll be pretty useless if I somehow drain both batteries though, I'll still need to be careful with it.

Good tip on the winching- I'll have to remember that next time Adam flips a vehicle.
Unread 05-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #107
05sport4x4
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Good tip on the winching- I'll have to remember that next time Adam flips a vehicle.
It's going to be much harder for him to flip his Chevy Cobalt

no kidding it is a Cobalt

05 4Runner Sport V6 - Goodyear SA 275/70/17, Donahoe Adj C/O', Custom rear colis, Hanna sliders
89 Extra Cab 4x4 Pickup, 22re, 31x10.5 w/4.56's & ARB in rear
05sport4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #108
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05sport4x4 View Post
It's going to be much harder for him to flip his Chevy Cobalt

no kidding it is a Cobalt
Hahaha ohhhhh Adam