Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Meet, Trail Runs, Expeditions and Land Use > Meeting, Trail run and Expedition reporting

Unread 05-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

Default 1st gen Hollister May 1st run

whats up guys.
as some of you know i have had the opportunity to pick up Pedrams 82 pickup to wheel. he openly has let me give it a good test run prior to payment

so here was its first trip.

also a first was towing it out there with my new trailer i picked up last weekend.

So here are some pictures to get you started. Pedram and his Didar, my brother, antonio and myself took a trip out to Hollister to stretch her legs and see how capable this thing really is.

Also Pedram just got his ARP rear locker installed and was having a blast testing it out

remember guys this is the very first time i have ever wheeled a 4x4 so be gentle

heres a little picture of the trip down there

squeeze rock was up next (third obstacle i ever attempted haha)

out to the new course

the aftermath with pedrams BFG all terrain on the sharp stump on the log at the new little white rock obstacle.

Pedrams first run up truck hill with the runner
look how smooth it is guys. get up there before it gets all rutted up again

the crack was a little less successful for me as i wasn't used to the slipping clutch that let out way too late and the brakes that had to be pushed to about an inch off the floor to activate and the carb that kept cutting the motor haha

went from side to side laying it over to about 2" off the body and ended up backing out and letting Pedram so me how its done. (have pics of that but need to upload them)
1979 VW rabbit 1.6D - low and slow weekend cruiser
Bay Area local born and raised

Last edited by crazydubman; 05-03-2010 at 08:09 AM.
crazydubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

next up was lunch then a trip out to the quarry

next up was Pedram

a little shot of Pedram and Didar driving around

Pedram climbing another rutted incline

and another

Last edited by crazydubman; 05-03-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
bulldog
Admin

Hehehehehe, fun times. Sorry my calendar was full or I would have joined in on the fun

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

next up was my turn

after that we both decided to find the biggest rock we could climb to flex their legs a bit and do a little posin eat your heart out IFS

shot of my brother and the truck

Pedrams assent

then to wrap up the day we headed up to top of the world from the quarry to show my brother how beautiful it is up there

and a farwell shot all loaded up and heading home

all in all the truck did great although there are definitely things needing attention. its been sitting for over a year so things were probably forgotten or just dryed up or worn out.

1. brakes need upgrading and definite flushing of the lines
2. clutch needs replacing (have new in the garage)
3. definite EFI upgrade in the near future
4. replace broken motor mount (was driving all day with the trans case smashing back and forth in the shifter cutout)
5. getting a clunking from the front axle when its engaged, not sure whether its the locking hub or in the Diff itself
6. bolts on the whole truck need to be tightened down (doors were mounted with only one bolt in each hinge and all bolts were half way unscrewed haha)
7. shifter bushing might need to be changed
8. axle seals need to be changed out front and rear
9. needs softer suspension. was banging all around hard all day. course that could have been the broken motor mount though.

that should about do it for the time being.
all that being said the truck is awesome and looking forward to beatin the hell out of it some more in the future

thanks again Pedram for giving me the opportunity to pick it up from you so we can share in the SAS first gen shenanegans

Last edited by crazydubman; 05-03-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Hehehehehe, fun times. Sorry my calendar was full or I would have joined in on the fun
no worries Andries. definitely get in on the next trip. i know you will run hard out there with us as well.
Unread 05-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Awesome pictures and trip report. I'm feeling so home sick right now. I need to find that place here and go wheeling! Glad you guys had fun!
WillRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

ya you do. it really wasn't the same without you there bud
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
BajaRnnr
Rock magnet

Looks like you had a lot of fun regardless of little issues
BajaRnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

oh absolutely. was a total blast all concerns aside.
Unread 05-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
BajaRnnr
Rock magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydubman View Post
oh absolutely. was a total blast all concerns aside.
Good to hear sounds like a nice list of mods for its future. Now you have 2 money pits hahaha.
Unread 05-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
BajaRnnr
Rock magnet

By the way, love the new trailer you're a thief for what you paid for it
Unread 05-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRnnr View Post
Good to hear sounds like a nice list of mods for its future. Now you have 2 money pits hahaha.
well this one is to run the trails up here that don't have sand and joshua trees

after the bumper and fenders on the runner its getting put on hold for a while. don't want to get it to the point where i wish i didn't do as much as i did ya know

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRnnr View Post
By the way, love the new trailer you're a thief for what you paid for it
haha ya well i could have waited on picking it up but i knew i was gonna need it so i bit the bullet. Pedram and I have already been working on it, adding D rings etc for it. will be adding some more cross supports for the wood, and probably a small tool box on the tongue for ratchet straps, tools etc. possibly an onboard winch down the road.
Unread 05-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
Pedram88
Lead Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydubman View Post
well this one is to run the trails up here that don't have sand and joshua trees

after the bumper and fenders on the runner its getting put on hold for a while. don't want to get it to the point where i wish i didn't do as much as i did ya know

haha ya well i could have waited on picking it up but i knew i was gonna need it so i bit the bullet. Pedram and I have already been working on it, adding D rings etc for it. will be adding some more cross supports for the wood, and probably a small tool box on the tongue for ratchet straps, tools etc. possibly an onboard winch down the road.
There you go... it is a money pit once again. Todd is seems like you like projects... First the racer V-dub's, then the 06 Runner, your new trailer, and now my old "MINI Monster" truck. What's next?

See it just shows you that you don't need a $40,000.00 toy to wheel. Or even $4,000. Infact the truck I'm passing down to you is about 1/4 of that and it does better than most $40,000 trucks. Yes it's a little rough but hell you can pay all your bills when you get home. AND....... it still has most of it's parts that it came with from the factory.

I'm telling you.... don't need much to wheel it. EVEN if it has a few down sides. Just drive it around some more before you really drop some dough in it. It's not a luxury truck. It's a wheeler. Flip that thing. Then you can say you have been in a real truck.

88 4Runner 4x4, 22RE rebuilt by me, 5 speed, upgraded rear to V6 third and ARB locker 4:88's, Custom built Solid front axle from an 85 high pinion 4:88 open, All Pro 6" lift, 33x12.5x15" BFG All terrain, custom rear tire carrier and bumper made by me, front bumper and slidders from 4XInnovations, LED/HID lights, and some Kraggen brand bucket seats.
Pedram88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Now that the Hollister trip is done, next is Pismo, but when is Slick Rock???
Unread 05-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
Pedram88
Lead Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillRunner05 View Post
Now that the Hollister trip is done, next is Pismo, but when is Slick Rock???
I guess you want Todd to tell his story like you did about not having breaks on slick rock huh? Well guess what mister, this truck has some decent breaks. They still work.

In time. There are so many trips we can get involved in. I'm still trying to catch up with the welding. Damn so many side jobs opened up for me. THANKS TODD!!

88 4Runner 4x4, 22RE rebuilt by me, 5 speed, upgraded rear to V6 third and ARB locker 4:88's, Custom built Solid front axle from an 85 high pinion 4:88 open, All Pro 6" lift, 33x12.5x15" BFG All terrain, custom rear tire carrier and bumper made by me, front bumper and slidders from 4XInnovations, LED/HID lights, and some Kraggen brand bucket seats.
Unread 05-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedram88 View Post
I guess you want Todd to tell his story like you did about not having breaks on slick rock huh? Well guess what mister, this truck has some decent breaks. They still work.

In time. There are so many trips we can get involved in. I'm still trying to catch up with the welding. Damn so many side jobs opened up for me. THANKS TODD!!
I'd like to fly out and ride up to slick rock with you guys depending on when you go or if I ahve the time maybe even drive
Yeah I'd like you to weld my sliders still
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #17
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

Quote:
There you go... it is a money pit once again. Todd is seems like you like projects... First the racer V-dub's, then the 06 Runner, your new trailer, and now my old "MINI Monster" truck. What's next?

See it just shows you that you don't need a $40,000.00 toy to wheel. Or even $4,000. Infact the truck I'm passing down to you is about 1/4 of that and it does better than most $40,000 trucks. Yes it's a little rough but hell you can pay all your bills when you get home. AND....... it still has most of it's parts that it came with from the factory.

I'm telling you.... don't need much to wheel it. EVEN if it has a few down sides. Just drive it around some more before you really drop some dough in it. It's not a luxury truck. It's a wheeler. Flip that thing. Then you can say you have been in a real truck.
very true Pedram very true.

right now just the maintenance items will be addressed and i will see how it works out. don't think it will be much more than 500 total to get it up to where it should be as it sits with the needed repairs taken care of.

as you know i always need something to tinker with.... so i can stop messin with my nice reliable 4runner. i think the mini monster will give me that and then some. and give me a huge learning curve and new avenue for me to explore.

oh and i have already flipped something and it sucked hahahaha. then again it was going a lot faster than a crawl..........

Quote:

hahaha ya the brakes work they just need some TLC and for me to get used to them.

hey all im doin is giving you some more practice. well me and Antonio haha.
hopefully next week we can take your front axle apart and see what was making the noise we heard.

Last edited by crazydubman; 05-04-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Unread 05-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #18
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

here are some more pictures of Pedrams 4runner out there. finally had a chance to upload them
and a few of antonios rover

this thing flexes so much

Unread 05-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #19
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

Unread 05-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #20
Pedram88
Lead Foot

make sure you get those pics loaded up so I can get that USB stick that Antonio let you barrow. I need to check out them on my own. Even though he was only there for half the real trails.