Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Offroad Tech and Tips > Offroad techniques and tips

Unread 09-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
bulldog
Admin

Default 4WD Safety Clinic at Hollister Hills

Esprit de Four is giving their safety clinic at Hollister Hills Sept 20 (maybe 21 as well). Looks like a great opportunity to learn, especially for new comers and less experienced folks.

More info
http://www.espritdefour.com/dynamic/?page_id=26

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
UnionJack
Old Timer

Default New dates for 2009

For those that may be interested.

Esprit De Four posted new dates for 2009, May 16th or 17th and Sept 19th.

http://www.espritdefour.com/dynamic/?page_id=26

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
UnionJack
Old Timer

Bump...5 weeks away.

Unread 04-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
MysticZ
4wd Twin Stick Newbie

Not sure if they will allow 2wd's into, it specifically list all 4wd vehicles.

RST www.rocksolidtoys.com IFS 4WD Conversion Done..
MysticZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
MysticZ
4wd Twin Stick Newbie

Anyone know if they are still having this or postponing it?

RST www.rocksolidtoys.com IFS 4WD Conversion Done..
MysticZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
UnionJack
Old Timer

I signed up and got this e mail:

Hi Jon,

I received your reservation form for the Sunday, May 17th safety clinic, but I regret that I'm pretty sure the Sunday class will be cancelled. Is there any chance you could make the Saturday May 16th class? If this is not possible for you I would be happy to return your check. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Doug

So Saturday is still on but I can't make that day

Unread 05-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
UnionJack
Old Timer

Bump for upcoming event May 21 & 22nd.

(Wonder what made me think/reminded me of this old thread )

Unread 05-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
adamf
Rookie

I wish they had these in SoCal. I need to learn.
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamf View Post
I wish they had these in SoCal. I need to learn.
There has to be one 4X4 club or another in So Cal that does this kind of event, try googling it, there are a lot of clubs.

Unread 05-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
ethernectar
Driver

May sign up for this one!

KJ6NAF | TLCA 21165
ethernectar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
ethernectar
Driver

I'm going, anyone else making the trip?

KJ6NAF | TLCA 21165
Unread 05-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #12
Liqudus
Driver

I was there, I managed to get in last minute. What a great time!!! that was really the most fun driving i've had in a while! highly recommended!
Liqudus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqudus View Post
I was there, I managed to get in last minute. What a great time!!! that was really the most fun driving i've had in a while! highly recommended!
Tell us more and hopefully Matt will chime in also

Unread 05-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
ethernectar
Driver

Day started with registration/inspection/etc. Proceeded to the little schoolhouse there and went through an informative and interesting slide show. Good overall info, didn't get down into minutia. Then outside for a demo (a mock demo technically) of winching, snatchblock and a demonstration of what a locker does. Sidebar explanation for a lady who asked about diffs. Back into the classroom for more slides and instruction. Presenters were informed, passionate and generally well spoken.

Then back to the meeting spot for lunches and to meet with your group leader.

Started off with a task of wheel positioning - was a good exercise and one to practice.
I may get the order mixed up here, but IIRC, next we did steep uphill, back down in reverse - no brakes, up the hill, safety break, shut it off, restart, go. Then up the hill to an off-camber spot (about 25) then back down to the bottom.

Then we did a trail run (lupine loop) to one of the obstacle courses (not the one w/ ladder). Don't expect to kick up any dust, lol, it was a nice little mosey. Up and over obstacles I'd not tried . Then to the other obstacle course and did the frame twister and the 'thing' after it (whatever its called - both new to me). Then the ladder. Took me a few tries, was easier last time when things were wet.

Then another trail drive. Point vehicle didn't really know the park well so we made a couple u-turns with a train of cars. Heard them discussing on the CB so broke off to run one of the nearby obstacles till they knew where they were going, lol. Then we found the correct trail and went through "the ravine". Great spotters, confidence inspiring.

They pointed out Truck Hill, 5 Fingers and we drove by the Quarry (but not through it). Didn't do the thing at the bottom of Truck Hill which I really wanted to do (next time).

Dinner was worth the price $12, the event attendance was $65 which might sound a little steep, but they have to cover insurance and probably a permit or two being in a state park. Got a little info packet, a sticker, little first aid kit (bandage/gauze) and literature.

The club definitely has its stuff together, they've been around a long time. Lots of built rigs (primarily jeeps) plus what looked like some daily drivers. Next time I see guys with red shirts I won't instantly assume they're Clampers, lol.

Overall it was quite well organized. Definitely aimed at the novice but I came away with some new information and techniques. I would recommend it to anyone who's interested in 4x4 and to anyone who owns one with the slightest likelihood of using it off-road (intentionally or not).

Matt

KJ6NAF | TLCA 21165
Unread 05-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernectar View Post
Day started with registration/inspection/etc. Proceeded to the little schoolhouse there and went through an informative and interesting slide show. Good overall info, didn't get down into minutia. Then outside for a demo (a mock demo technically) of winching, snatchblock and a demonstration of what a locker does. Sidebar explanation for a lady who asked about diffs. Back into the classroom for more slides and instruction. Presenters were informed, passionate and generally well spoken.

Then back to the meeting spot for lunches and to meet with your group leader.

Started off with a task of wheel positioning - was a good exercise and one to practice.
I may get the order mixed up here, but IIRC, next we did steep uphill, back down in reverse - no brakes, up the hill, safety break, shut it off, restart, go. Then up the hill to an off-camber spot (about 25) then back down to the bottom.

Then we did a trail run (lupine loop) to one of the obstacle courses (not the one w/ ladder). Don't expect to kick up any dust, lol, it was a nice little mosey. Up and over obstacles I'd not tried . Then to the other obstacle course and did the frame twister and the 'thing' after it (whatever its called - both new to me). Then the ladder. Took me a few tries, was easier last time when things were wet.

Then another trail drive. Point vehicle didn't really know the park well so we made a couple u-turns with a train of cars. Heard them discussing on the CB so broke off to run one of the nearby obstacles till they knew where they were going, lol. Then we found the correct trail and went through "the ravine". Great spotters, confidence inspiring.

They pointed out Truck Hill, 5 Fingers and we drove by the Quarry (but not through it). Didn't do the thing at the bottom of Truck Hill which I really wanted to do (next time).

Dinner was worth the price $12, the event attendance was $65 which might sound a little steep, but they have to cover insurance and probably a permit or two being in a state park. Got a little info packet, a sticker, little first aid kit (bandage/gauze) and literature.

The club definitely has its stuff together, they've been around a long time. Lots of built rigs (primarily jeeps) plus what looked like some daily drivers. Next time I see guys with red shirts I won't instantly assume they're Clampers, lol.

Overall it was quite well organized. Definitely aimed at the novice but I came away with some new information and techniques. I would recommend it to anyone who's interested in 4x4 and to anyone who owns one with the slightest likelihood of using it off-road (intentionally or not).

Matt
Nice summation, thanks Matt. I have tried to go before with no luck I think I will try again.

Unread 05-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #16
Liqudus
Driver

Yea, its well worth it IMO.
I had a very similar day, just in a different order. We went straight to the frame twister in which i promptly got hung up on my running boards (bumper + V8 on 5 year old xres and coils). after they taught me a few tricks to get unstuck, none of which worked, we finally had to resort to the strap. I felt so defeated being the only one to get stuck on the first obstacle. to top it off as CJ our leader hopped out of his CJ7 (CJ's CJ7) he stepped in a rut and tweaked his ankle hard and was on the ground in pain. he continued till almost the end of the day before swapping off driving with his friend.

We then moved on to the stair climb, which looks daunting but i actually had no trouble with, first shot, no tire spin, right up. i was also aired down to 18 psi, i had a feeling that really helped. Next we went on lupine loop, then back to camp for the tire placement and hill climb/off camber stuff. We ended the day on the last set of trails and the ravine. By that point, having done all the "hard" stuff first, i was able to really relax and enjoy it. I had a great feeling about what my truck could do, and was way more comfortable with obstacles.

I too would recommend it to everyone, it was a really fun day with lots of new info for me.

also Matt which runner were you? the salsa? i wanted to stop by and say hey but never got a chance.
Liqudus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #17
UnionJack
Old Timer

Frame twister + running boards in same sentence = stuck, been there done that

Glad to hear you had a good time, thanks for posting.

The next one is September 17th 2011.

Unread 05-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
ethernectar
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqudus View Post
also Matt which runner were you? the salsa? i wanted to stop by and say hey but never got a chance.
Yes, likewise. Talked to another 4Runner guy there with a '96. Told him about the forum, maybe he'll join up.

KJ6NAF | TLCA 21165
Unread 09-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #19
UnionJack
Old Timer

Bump: Septemper 17th.

Unread 09-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #20
Fillmoreslim
Driver

Andries mentioned this to me, I think I'm gonna go for it. Sounds like a good thing for a novice like me with more truck than skills.
2007 4runner SR5 Radflo 2.5 front coilovers and rear shocks, MT LT rear springs, Camburg UCA's, MT lower links, CVJ CV axles, 285/70/R17 GY DuraTracs, Stubbs HD-SKO sliders, Fuel Octane Wheels, DO front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10 winch w/ synthetic line, Full BudBuilt skids, Weathertech floor liners, CBI rear bumper, Baja rack, Safari snorkel
Fillmoreslim is offline   Reply With Quote