Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 04-03-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
Taco XL
Rookie

Default New Stereo

Some of you saw last year when I put in a new deck and backup camera, the writeup can be found here. This post is about removing the factory speakers, sub, and amp and replacing with all new hardware and wiring.

I decided to pull the factory sub box and use that space for the new amp and all 4 crossovers. I hate when I can see amps, cutting carpet to run cables, and blocking rear heat vents under the seats. I've also seen too many rusty crossovers when mounted in the doors and decided to put everything in the space provided once I pulled the factory equipment. A stealth sub box is next and will complete the system.

My advice. Don't bother pulling the drive side rear panel, I was thinking maybe an amp could go in that side but it's not open enough. I may use that space for a power inverter though. When pulling cable through the firewall, you can snip off a little nipple thing and then use the wire pulling tool to run your power cable, I ran 4gauge with no issue. I ran power away from signal to not risk introducing noise into the system. All the factory wire rubber tube things between the doors and cab have plenty of room to run speaker wire in, just use the grabber.

Truck:
2005 SportEdition 4x4 V8

Installed:

1) 1 10'' INFINITY KAPPA Sub

2) 1 Set of Scosche SA69 Convertible 6x9-Inch Speaker Adapter to move the front's from 6x9 to 6.5's.

3) 1 pack of 5 10.5" Metal Mounting Back Straps for the tweeters, easy to cut with cutoff wheel on a grinder.

4) 2 Pairs of Infinity reference 6.5's.

5) 1 PIONEER GM-D9605 GM Digital Series Class D Amp (5-Channel Bridgeable, 2,000 Watts max)

Plenty of room in factory harness hold downs to run power, remote lead, signal wires, speaker wires, and sub channel volume knob. A pretty traditional installation really.

Everything mounted to some wood with brackets that run the length of the wood and bolt in using factory threaded spots. No holes drilled for any inch of this install. No factory wires cut.

Two tools everyone who is thinking of installing a system should have, trust me:

1) Plastic Fastener Remover

2) Claw Pick-Up Tool or as I use it a Universal Wire Puller / Grabber.

I didn't get any pics of it after I zipped, loomed, and taped it all but you get the idea. Not an amp in sight and it sure feels good to get rid of that stupid convertor box I was using for the factory amp! Also, no pics of the inside once done because it kinda looks the same. Once I build a sub box I'll post up.

Thanks for looking!

Full Album

Last edited by Taco XL; 04-06-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Taco XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
4x4KindaGuy
Rookie

that's cool! great work
4x4KindaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #3
Taco XL
Rookie

Thanks!
Taco XL is offline   Reply With Quote