Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Maintenance

Unread 10-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
jacal
Driver

Default Brake-Shift Interlock

I have reason to believe that my brake shift interlock switch is about to fail.

I'm still getting my vsc, vsc trac and abs lights on a semi-regular basis. I notice that holding the pedal and shifting is sometimes touchy. It completely failed the other day, and I had to use the override button right near the shift lever.

Is the brake pedal switch the most likely culprit? Is that an easy switch to replace? Do we have any instructions on how to complete the procedure?

Thanks,
JG
03 v6 LTD; OW 2.0 w/ 265/70/r17 Duratrac; DICE Mediabridge 1500; Stubbs Sliders; block heater plug Mod; RUD Grip4x4; yak x-bars; safari RR; hitch cargo basket; roof cargo basket; hydrocarbon/key reminder delete; SW & warn 8K; lexus gx drivers seat; LR UCA
jacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
motoguy13
Rookie

sent you a pm
motoguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
bulldog
Admin

Check if your brake lights go on when you push the brake pedal. That will tell you if the switch is about to fail.

The complete service manual can be downloaded if you go to the stocky in the 4RUnner section, should include how to chage the switch and test for it.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
jacal
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Check if your brake lights go on when you push the brake pedal. That will tell you if the switch is about to fail.

The complete service manual can be downloaded if you go to the stocky in the 4RUnner section, should include how to chage the switch and test for it.
I think I have the 2006 .zip - but I can't find any info on replacing the switch itself.

Hoping to get this done tonight, as I refuse to drive with out brake lights (which is the case)

Thanks,
J
03 v6 LTD; OW 2.0 w/ 265/70/r17 Duratrac; DICE Mediabridge 1500; Stubbs Sliders; block heater plug Mod; RUD Grip4x4; yak x-bars; safari RR; hitch cargo basket; roof cargo basket; hydrocarbon/key reminder delete; SW & warn 8K; lexus gx drivers seat; LR UCA
Unread 10-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
motoguy13
Rookie

i double checked on one at work today and the switch is on the bottom of the brake pedal bracket and there is a plastic nut that holds it in, it looks like it might be a hassle to get the nut part off but it shouldnt be to hard, ive never done one that style but it looks like if you undo the connector and then hold the nut with a screwdriver you should be able to turn the switch to get it to come out.
Unread 10-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
motoguy13
Rookie

according to our repair maual they want you to take the brake pedal out to get it but you should be able to get it out with out doing that some times i wonder about the people that write these repair manuals like they want you do to a whold bunch of extra wor. if you are any where near Rockford Illinois you could always swing buy and i could try and help you out.
Unread 10-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
jacal
Driver

Problem: You can`t shift out of park without using the manual override. Also: you have VSC trac, vsc skid, and orange ABS lights on your dashboard.

Likely: you do not have working brake lights. I also received an ODB 2 code, but can`t remember it. I did not use it to help diagnose the issue.

Solution: In my case, the problem was the `switch assembly stop` aka brake light switch aka stop lamp switch.

Part Number 84340-19025
Cost: $41 Cdn - I could not find any after-market parts

I located the switch mounted high up on the brake pedal. I inspected the new one, and figured out how it locks in and out of the brown washer.

1) remove old unit: disconnect blue plug
2) twist old unit counter clockwise, slide straight down
3) I left the old brown washer piece in place. I have no idea how it stays put.
4) insert new switch and rotate clockwise to lock in place.
5) check contact. I forget the exact spec, I just eyeballed it. You set the depth by how far you insert the switch body then lock it in place with a twist.

Tested and everything is fine! The dashboard lights cleared themselves. Not sure if the ODB2 would hold a code still, but at least the dash is clear and all systems are fully functional.

Total time: 5-15 mins max. Super easy.

brakeswitch1.jpg

brakeswitch2.jpg

Last edited by jacal; 10-27-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Unread 10-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
motoguy13
Rookie

glad you figured it out like i said i hadnt replaced one so i wasnt exactly sure, hope i helped some what, you can always contact me if you have anymore questions
Unread 10-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
bulldog
Admin

Cool, thx for posting up. Will definitely help someone down the line.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
WillRunner05
Old Timer

That just helped me out big time! Thanks!!!
WillRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
jacal
Driver

I love this forum!

J
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacal View Post
I love this forum!

J
Me too, Thanks Jacal, you save me a ton of $$$ for something so simple!
WillRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
nship
Driver

Default same thing but different

Just had the same things happen to me. However the fix was even cheaper, BLOWN FUSE under the hood . Brake lighte, shift lock out, abs,trac controll,vcs ,etc all is good with the word after fuse repacement. Go figure what caused it to bow.
08 sr5, v6, auto,ow 2.5 f /ome rear ,.75 bl , schrock sliders,toyota elocker,walker evans wheels,G/Y MT/R 305 70 17 Camburg ball joint uca,12v mod, 10,000 smittybilt/hidden bumper mount, DIY crozfab r/bumper , my rear tire mount, Lefty transfercase ,belly tuck,etc
nship is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #14
nship
Driver

Default spoke too soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nship View Post
Just had the same things happen to me. However the fix was even cheaper, BLOWN FUSE under the hood . Brake lighte, shift lock out, abs,trac controll,vcs ,etc all is good with the word after fuse repacement. Go figure what caused it to bow.
Spoke too soon. Keep blowing under hood fuse. as above repaced brake switch. but no stop lights, dash lights is low on list of concernsnot realy hopfull. freaked about not stop lights . Seems to blow even faster ,use to last a couple days ,no more a coupe stops and wham its bown .just removed trailer light oem hook up ,will try today . Any in put or hey try this! NO codes showing !
08 sr5, v6, auto,ow 2.5 f /ome rear ,.75 bl , schrock sliders,toyota elocker,walker evans wheels,G/Y MT/R 305 70 17 Camburg ball joint uca,12v mod, 10,000 smittybilt/hidden bumper mount, DIY crozfab r/bumper , my rear tire mount, Lefty transfercase ,belly tuck,etc
nship is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
Dealmaker
Senior Driver

Default code P0504

Had the VSC Trac and VSC Off lights going on and off intermittently over the past few months, then staying on the past week. Pulled code P0504 using the techstream/China program and cable thats going around the internet. Replaced the "Stop Assembly Switch" aka brake switch. Very simple process, just make sure to insert the new switch in back into the existing brown nut so there is some pressure on the button on the switch. Otherwise, your brake lights will remain on.

My TRAC lights both stayed on when I was finished, yet there were no more trouble codes. After a long exercise in frustration, I did the "manual" Zero Calibration per Mark / Expats thread here in 120, a simple process, and now the Trac lights are off. Maybe it was knocked out by the techstream? Dunno...

Last edited by Dealmaker; 04-09-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Dealmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #16
GrassValleyGuy
Rookie

Thanks a bunch jacal...
I had been having this problem for months with my 09 Tacoma and had thought it was a FUSE problem until I found this post. I was able to buy the switch at a local auto parts store. For my 09 Tacoma, it has a NAPA parts# ECH SL911 and was about $31. I followed your very good instructions below and had it taken care of in about five minutes. I am sure I saved about $100 on having someone else figure it out.

Problem: You can`t shift out of park without using the manual override. Also: you have VSC trac, vsc skid, and orange ABS lights on your dashboard.

Likely: you do not have working brake lights. I also received an ODB 2 code, but can`t remember it. I did not use it to help diagnose the issue.

Solution: In my case, the problem was the `switch assembly stop` aka brake light switch aka stop lamp switch.

I located the switch mounted high up on the brake pedal. I inspected the new one, and figured out how it locks in and out of the brown washer.

1) remove old unit: disconnect blue plug
2) twist old unit counter clockwise, slide straight down
3) I left the old brown washer piece in place. I have no idea how it stays put.
4) insert new switch and rotate clockwise to lock in place.
5) check contact. I forget the exact spec, I just eyeballed it. You set the depth by how far you insert the switch body then lock it in place with a twist.

Tested and everything is fine! The dashboard lights cleared themselves. Not sure if the ODB2 would hold a code still, but at least the dash is clear and all systems are fully functional.

Total time: 5-15 mins max. Super easy.
GrassValleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2015, 10:17 PM   #17
jacal
Driver

Very glad that this thread continues to pay dividends!

J
Unread 05-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #18
Thrasher
Driver

I just wanted to add my thanks for this simple fix to a very frustrating problem. I experienced the same intermittent dash lights and trouble shifting out of park, and was thinking that it might be an electrical issue. After swapping out the switch ($30 + Tax), all is good as new. Thanks!
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #19
jacal
Driver

Glad you are hassle free again!

Bulldog - is this worth a sticky?

JG
Unread 10-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #20
dirtysparks
Rookie

Another success here, thanks for all the info. Seems to be fixed right up after the new switch.
dirtysparks is offline   Reply With Quote