Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 05-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Smile Soundproofing your truck

So, I've had the MTs on my truck for over a year now and they are a tad too noisy. I've always noticed an inordinate amount of noise coming from the rear area of my 4R even when new. But with these tires it's too much. Went ahead and ordered 100sq. feet of sound deadening insulation and some acoustic decoupling mats. Will post pics on the install after next week.
BTW I got my stuff from a Canadian company (mad props to AlexJet) called B-Quiet.com. About 1/3 the cost of Dynamat.
Let me know what you think or recommend re: this upgrade.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
JohnD
Senior Driver

how much does that stuff weigh...?
Unread 05-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

It weighs about 1/3 lb per sq ft., so about 30 - 40 lbs for the whole 100 sq feet. The acoustic decoupling mats are 12 sq ft ea and weigh about 4-6 lbs ea. I plan to start with the doors and follow that with the cargo area.

Chris
Unread 05-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
808BMW
Rookie

So has anyone pulled their headliner off?

I plan on installing sound deadening on my 4r soon, but I plan on doing every inch possible. I'm kind of worried about pulling off my headliner, does anyone have instructions on how to do it?
I've done this on my other car and know to watch out for panel fitment, I really don't want to mess up my interior.
808BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
sconnors
Rookie

I used second skin products to do mine... never removed the head liner but it's a possibility in the future...

Sean
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
808BMW
Rookie

I'm going with edead, both mat and liquid.
Unread 05-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

There is a sticky thread in the 4runner & Hilux forum on 4runner repair manual. Very comprehensive with pictures and diagrams. That is what I'm using as a guide to remove all the plastic panels in the back.
BTW the total weight of my materials is 56 lbs according to UPS. Will be here on 19th.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
Unread 05-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

My stuff finally arrived! 3 days early to be exact!

I got 2 rolls of sound deadening mat with a foil layer and an adhesive side. Each is 50' long by 1' wide. I also got two 4'x3' acoustic decoupling mats. These you lay down on the floor, foam side down, vinyl side up.

I did the doors first, cuz they were easy. Each front door is about an hour, with breaks, wiring, head scratching etc...

The rear is about half hour each. I will do the cargo area next. I will lay down the sound deadening mat and follow that with the acoustic decoupler, then hide everything under the factory carpet.

Check out the pics...
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.

Last edited by 4mudder; 05-22-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Unread 05-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
Photog
Old Timer

Nice work.

Now that the doors are done, do you notice any difference in outside noise?

Do you know how many feet of material you used to do the doors?

What area usually makes the most difference in noise control (doors, roof, floor, firewall)? Or, maybe they are all about equal?
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Thanks for the kind words.
After I did the doors I noticed my music had a cleaner or crisper sound. There is still plenty of noise from the tires. The sound deadening mats in the doors mainly reduce unwanted reverberation thereby improving overall sound.
As far as which part of the truck is noisier, I believe it's the cargo area. Even stock I thought it was loud back there.
I think the biggest improvement will come from soundproofing the cargo and floor area. These will be tough as I have to remove a lot of interior plastic and the rear seat. Eventually I plan to do the front and firewall. Hopefully my wife will understand...
Unread 05-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

I used 8 sq feet per door. The front doors can take 10 feet if you move the wiring. I was lazy, it was 95 degrees out and I got sunburned.
Unread 05-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #12
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Thumbs up Cargo Area Done!

I finished the cargo area yesterday.
Stripping out the interior was surprisingly easy. There is virtually no sound deadening from the factory installed in the back. Even the interior plastic panels have very little acoustic material.
Once all the plastic was out, I vacuumed the interior and wiped down the metal with acetone to remove any oil or dirt.
I started with the floor, laying down a single layer of sound deadener. I followed that with the inner body panels, layering everywhere that I could reach. From the pics you can see there is much more access to the right side than the left. The left side has the gas filler tube and lots of relays and such. I covered the inner fenderwells inside the cabin and by the outer skin. Working with smaller strips made the job a lot easier. I paid special attention to the mounting brackets and holes ensuring I did not cover up anything I would need later.
After layering, I installed the acoustic decoupling mat. I trimmed it to 3'x3' which left all my mounting holes exposed for later assembly. I trimmed a couple of smaller pieces for the area behind the fenderwells by the lift gate. No adhesive needed, just lay it flat, foam side down.
After that I reassembled the interior. No issues, just pay attention to the little plastic clips that hold the panels tot he body, they have a tendency to pop out and fly away never to be seen again.
I finished by reinstalling my amp and sub and hiding the wires.

After this install, combined with the doors, the noise level has noticeably diminished. Once I had the interior out I realized why there was so much noise from the back, so the lack of factory sound proofing has validated my ears.
The tire noise from the back is gone, it now comes from the front, so the floor and firewall are next. After that I think I will be happy. It won't sound like a limo, but at least I won't have to crank up my Bluetooth to hear conversations and less noise = less fatigue on long trips.

The pics start with the interior before installation and follow through with the floor, sides, fenderwells, back side of the factory panel (note how little sound proofing there is), acoustic decoupling mat and reinstall, final photo is interior that looks totally stock, no cutting required.

I have not done the lift gate (forgot) but will do that when I do the floors. I've used right aroud 50 sq ft of material plus 11 sq ft of acoustic decoupling mat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE_034.jpg (61.5 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_035.jpg (58.7 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_036.jpg (63.4 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_037.jpg (61.8 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_038.jpg (35.7 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_040.jpg (60.4 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_041.jpg (124.4 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_043.jpg (62.0 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_045.jpg (49.8 KB, 214 views)
Unread 05-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #13
Photog
Old Timer

Great picture story.

Thanks
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #14
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Default Liftgate done!

Finished the liftgate sound deadening this morning. Reassessed the floor. Looks like carpet is one piece so the entire pass area has to come out. Seats, center console, door sill panels, etc... The floor looks like a 6-8 job.

Back to the liftgate:
First pic is the inside the liftgate. I got what I could reach.

Second pic is the skin on the inside of the cab, under the plastic cover. I did not cover the ABS unit on the driver side in case of future servicing.
Unread 05-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #15
808BMW
Rookie

What if you need to get behind there?
Unread 05-25-2008, 11:49 PM   #16
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

The inner skin of the liftgate (pic 2) has a plastic dust cover just like the doors. If you look at the first pic you'll see the big gaping hole that used to be covered by that plastic and is now covered by the butyl mat. If I need to get back there, to service the window mechanism for instance, I'll just peel back the butyl mat. It's a Toyota, I don't think I'll be fixing anything soon! (unless I break it!)
BTW, with the doors, the liftgate and the cargo area done, my AC is doing a better job keeping the truck cool. Very important and appreciated here in Texas with the humidity at 80%.
Unread 06-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Default Floor soundproofing install

Tackled the floor sound deadening yesterday. Thanks to Toyota's design all the panels and such remove very easily. I had the interior out in about 45 minutes.
It went like this; flipped forward and unbolted the rear seat cushions and seat belt assy, unbolted the front seats, tilte dthem back slightly and unplug the connectors. Remove seats and cushions. Pop off the sill panels, set aside. Remove kick panels in dvr and pass footwell and the dead pedal. The carpet is held in with little plastic clips in the sill area, pop those out, and the carpet will just pull out from the back seat area, the sides and the front. I did not remove the center console this time cause time was tight. Once the carpet is out it is held by the console, so just flip it out of the way and lay down your butyl mat. The whole job took me 2.5 hrs with breaks.
PICS;
Here the carpet is loose and you can see how little sound insulation there is on the floor.

...and the back

I laid down the mat from front to back going under the AC vent under the seats ensuring no bolt holes were covered.
Front...

...to back

Finish out with the back seat area...

Here I used some material to cover the seat belt buckle recess...

...for a total of about 25 sq feet for the floor.
Unread 06-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #18
TNcaveman
Driver

Wow - this IS a complete soundproofing job. I wish I did that for the old 'runner. Personally, my '04 is the quietest rig (car or truck) I have ever had.

Now my Celica, I'm planning on doing the rear in the near future. It needs this kind of work badly.

Great write-up.

Steve
TNcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 06:06 AM   #19
AlexJet
Old Timer

Chris,
How much in total have you used of the soundproffing material? Are you planning to soundproof firewall as well? How much it cost you?
'09 Custom Expedition Trailer --- 35"
AlexJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #20
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Thanks, Steve

I still plan to remove the center console and finish that part up. I also still have some acoustic decoupling mat to lay down in the front footwells/under the seats to dampen tire and engine noise some more. As of right now, the truck is so much quieter, my conversations are clearer and my radio sounds waaaay better at lower volumes. I have a trip to Corpus Christi coming up and I'll see how this impacts fatigue on a long 5 hr drive. Plus I'll be getting off a 24 hr shift that morning at 7am. Coffee, coffee...