Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Offroad Tech and Tips > Offroad Tech

Unread 09-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #21
Photog
Old Timer

Oh, I remember the solid sleave/spacer issue.

Strong TrueTrac should fix it. You still need a solid sleave/spacer on the pinion, right?

Edit: I re-read your last post. TrueTrac and solid sleave.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.

Last edited by Photog; 09-03-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #22
Cajun

Just a word of caution if you haven't driven a vehicle with a TrueTrac LSD. My experience was having one in the rear of a TJ. At low speeds on the trail on hard rock it will groan when you make a tight turn. A little bit of throttle input will cause it to "lock" and chirp the inside tire. Without throttle input you can feel a light groan as all the little gears in the TrueTrac turn and compensate for the difference in tire travel. Probably won't be as noticable on the t4r since the wheelbase is longer. Its nothing to be concerned about but the first time you hear it you may say "WTF?" and think the ring and pinion is chewing itself up. At least that's what I thought.

Its a great diff. Definately better than the clutch type LSDs. It is as close to a locker as you can get and has great street manors. The only time its reached its limit was when I was flexed out and one tire was off the ground. The other tire still pulled although you have to keep giving it throttle to keep it engaged. This was on a TJ that had no sort of traction control. I too think the A-Trac will help it even more. Even if you lift a tire the A-Trac will trick the TrueTrac into thinking it still has some traction. Good luck, looking forward to your review.
Unread 09-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #23
shabaka
Senior Driver

thanks for the heads up... i have had a few friends mention a similar result in regards to the TrueTrac
nice to hear it from first hand expirience

I'm pretty close to having my gear money
hopefully i'll be ordering them next week

. . . . . . . . . . . .. .. .. . Yukon 4.88, ARB locker, Truetrac LSD, Camburg UCA, Custom Rear LCA, Energy Suspension
.... .. .... ... ..... ... .. ...Braille dual battery, Bulldog ALPHA 9300, Viking 3/8 rope, Gunnebo hook, BajaRack, Slimlites

.... .. .... ... ..... ... .. ...build & gallery
shabaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #24
Cajun

What gears are you going to run, 4.56?
Unread 09-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #25
shabaka
Senior Driver

it's a little on the deep side
but in the mountains its pulling pretty hard trying to climb the steep LONG passes
and i'm leaning more towards the off-road pros vs the highway cons

and my v6 '03 is only a 4 speed
if i had the v8 or the 5 speed i would lean more on the 4.56 side

. . . . . . . . . . . .. .. .. . Yukon 4.88, ARB locker, Truetrac LSD, Camburg UCA, Custom Rear LCA, Energy Suspension
.... .. .... ... ..... ... .. ...Braille dual battery, Bulldog ALPHA 9300, Viking 3/8 rope, Gunnebo hook, BajaRack, Slimlites

Unread 09-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #26
shabaka
Senior Driver

Default LSD and ARB

couple steps closer....

the RD111 showed up yesterday
so now i have to try and find some more cash for the other bits
i'm itch'n to get this up and running 'cause my 93 g20 cargo van is just no fun to drive

Unread 09-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #27
nship
Driver

I think you will love that tru trac ,I put one in mine and it is seamless , smoooth on/off road.Works great with the atrac as stated earlier. Simple to install ,have to like these 3rd members, right up on the bench,plenty of light great to work on.
08 sr5, v6, auto,ow 2.5 f /ome rear ,.75 bl , schrock sliders,toyota elocker,walker evans wheels,G/Y MT/R 305 70 17 Camburg ball joint uca,12v mod, 10,000 smittybilt/hidden bumper mount, DIY crozfab r/bumper , my rear tire mount, Lefty transfercase ,belly tuck,etc
nship is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #28
shabaka
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nship View Post
I think you will love that tru trac ,I put one in mine and it is seamless , smoooth on/off road.Works great with the atrac as stated earlier. Simple to install ,have to like these 3rd members, right up on the bench,plenty of light great to work on.
Nice.. i'm stoked someone else has alraedy done this on the 4runner
i was actually a bit nervous 'cause i've heard nothing from anyone actually
doing this with the atrac

so how has your expirience with the truetrac been...
a. has it helped give a little "push" off road??
b. any bennefit on snow/ice/slippery surfaces??
c. does the atrac feel any more effective when three wheeling??

Unread 09-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #29
nship
Driver

Yep, love it off road it seems to be real close to a full locker ,both rear wheels drive,no banging in and out , two wheel drive is noteably inproved on/off road NO bad habits on the street or in bad weather.Had a auburn in my last truck (GMC 4x4 1500) it was ok but tru-trac more aggressive than that for the better.Have not had any issues with one wheel air born still bitting still going. Good luck, Neil
08 sr5, v6, auto,ow 2.5 f /ome rear ,.75 bl , schrock sliders,toyota elocker,walker evans wheels,G/Y MT/R 305 70 17 Camburg ball joint uca,12v mod, 10,000 smittybilt/hidden bumper mount, DIY crozfab r/bumper , my rear tire mount, Lefty transfercase ,belly tuck,etc
Unread 09-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #30
Mike07SE
Driver

nship, great news that it works great! I would imagine that you have noticed a vast improvement in the threshold of grip that the Tru-Trac now gives you. Sounds like you have a real nice T4R. We gotta meet up sometime, I'd like to check out your rig, I'm in the Bel Air area. Need to go wheelin' soon out in Greenridge. Also, how do you like the LR UCA's? I've seriously got do something about my Camber & Castor after I lifted, but have yet to find a shop around here to align right.
Stereo: 3.5" Tweeter Mod | Kenwood DNX9980HD
Exterior: Quad Bi-Xenon Retrofit

Last edited by Mike07SE; 09-25-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Mike07SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 06:03 AM   #31
nship
Driver

Mike, the lr uca are great, lots of adjuctment,NO squeeks, don't have to service after wheelin,gave more tire clearance no more spacers.Called the company asking to buy ball joint rubbers ,they said they would see what they could find.Three days latter guess what I got in the mail free !. Good company to deal with very helpfull on the phone . Wheelin sounds like a winner ,where about is this Greenridge ,what is it like ,what does it offer ? Tru trac is super !
Neil
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #32
prjeff46
Buckeye Runner

Green Ridge is in Cumberland, MD and it is another forest to go wheeling in. There is a trip in a few weeks to GWNF too.
2004 v8 SE- Duratrac 33's-OW 2.5 front/OME rear-SW front bumper-Budbuilt-Engo 10K w/synthetic line- Lightforce 170's- LR UCA's-Spidertrax- Kurtfab Diff Bracket-4xInnovations sliders-1/2" body lift-JAMFab dual swingout bumper
prjeff46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #33
shabaka
Senior Driver

Default gears front and rear

since this thread has morphed a bit i'm putting this here
inching ever closer to my rebuild...

Yukon Gear 4.88 front and rear

Unread 10-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #34
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabaka View Post
since this thread has morphed a bit i'm putting this here
inching ever closer to my rebuild...

Yukon Gear 4.88 front and rear
Price??
04 V8 SE, F250 Solid Axles Swap, Marlin Crawl Case, FT Case swap, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper. Shrockworks F.Bumper
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #35
shabaka
Senior Driver

from randy's
$193.92 rears
$233.51 fronts

Unread 12-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #36
shabaka
Senior Driver

Default bearings

more goodies...

rear master rebuild kit
rear solid pinion spacer
rear flange/yoke
front inner/outer pinion bearings
front seal
front crush sleeve

now comes the tear down/rebuild/set-up... not looking forward to that part
yippie

Unread 07-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #37
shabaka
Senior Driver

digging up this old thread for an update

finally got to get out on the trail to see how, exactly, LSD+ATRAC works

short answer.. AWESOME!!!
seemless engagement
both systems work great together...(an LSD should've been a factory option)

the ATRAC actually "spools-up" the truetrac and brings it to a near 100% lock!!!
both tires spin even if one is airborn (maximum lock i believe is 90% on the LSD)
the extra "push" is noticeable and you can EASE over obsticles
...even when fully articulated
requiring less momentum to climb up ledges and larger rocks

if you do the old school e-brake trick with the LSD+ATRAC
it is even better!!!!
only caution here is that it WILL push the truck like a locked axle
and steering can be a bit harder/less responsive
and the rearend can creep a little bit

if you are on a budget
or want an easier install
or complete auto engagement

LSD+ATRAC is a GREAT option!!!

Unread 06-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #38
JSimmons
Driver

Phil,

How has this setup been holding up for you? I'm trying to decide between the route you took and the more common one of the ARB lockers front and rear. Cost seems to be on your side...

Yes, I know I'm resurrecting this thread from the grave...

Last edited by JSimmons; 06-13-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: None
JSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #39
shabaka
Senior Driver

I LOVE it...!!!
Quiet, Seemless, Strong...
it's been solid and completely trouble free
(I often forget it's back there...)

it works SO well with the ATRAC, I always say, "it should of come with LSD from the factory"

off road traction is great!
next best thing to a full locker ...without anything required from the driver (...not saying flicking a toggle switch is hard )
in the winter it is really nice to have as the VSC/TRAC comes on alot less and
in AWD it almost never engages the "electro-Nanny"

if cost is an issue, I am still a big advocate for this alternative
just make sure you choose/use a gear driven Torsen diff and NOT a clutch type speed sensing diff
plus... the truetrac uses std diff oil so no additives for the LSD to work

Unread 06-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #40
Photog
Old Timer

Final question: What has your MPG been like, with the 4.88 gears and 315 tires?
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote