Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 12-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
Drift Monkey
Rookie

Default Blend door actuator/gear buzz? (Video added)

Hi y'all!

I picked up a white 06 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD V8 yesterday and have been lovin' it. At 71k miles, she's very mechanically sound...I tested the center diff lock and 4LO before buying. But of course, a few issues have popped up. After doing some searching and reading, I've found the solutions to most of them, but not all (yet).

One of the headlight bulbs has a bad/loose connection, but that's an easy fix (gonna try the modded H9 bulbs).

The center LCD info display lights are burnt out too, but all the other console lights seem to be ok. Also an easy fix, should be able to pick up a couple (90010-09017) bulbs from the dealership tomorrow (or maybe just online if they don't come through).

The main thing that didn't seem to rear it's ugly head during my test drives (or course) is this weird buzzing sound coming from the passenger side dash that sounds off shortly after I start her up. It goes away shortly, but a couple of times it made my VSC OFF and VSC Trac (and maybe Check Engine) lights stay on. They go away if I kill her and restart, but I thought it was odd.

Possibly related, it seems like none of my HVAC vents work except the defrost vents. The center console vents and lower vents don't seem to blow very hard, if at all, even when switch to the corresponding setting. The rear vents also seem to be affected as well. I honestly can't remember if this occurred while I was test driving her, but it's odd. I probably should have paid more attention to that instead of the center diff/4LO... Does this sound like a blend door actuator/gear issue?

Any ideas?

Last edited by Drift Monkey; 12-04-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Drift Monkey
Rookie

Alright, now for some updates. First things first, some proper pictures of her!

H9 bulbs will be here Friday...so still waiting on those.

Fixed the console LED display with bulbs from the dealership.

But...I noticed a couple more burnt out bulbs. The rear window button, the hazard lights button, and the DAC button. The DAC I could replace with ease since it pops right out, but the other 2 seem a bit more tricky. I assume they sort of pop out the same way?

THE VCS OFF/VSC TRAC/CEL issue has not reappeared (thank goodness), but I'm still getting the buzz which I believe to be the blend door actuator/gear. I captured some videos of the buzz (sorry for the crappy phone videos).

Unread 12-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
bulldog
Admin

Definitely seems to be an issue with HVAC system. I'm not ver familiar with that system so other may chime in. Might be the unit or bad relay, etc.

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
Darklight
Old Timer

Welcome, I can give you a starting point. Check the cabin filter area for any blockages or anything that could be causing the noise. The link below is a write up for replacement.

http://www.toyota120.com/html/cabin_filter.html

Maybe some info here to check relays and fuses:

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8582

On the hazard lights. I do not think they light up or have a light at all. Hope this helps some.

Bobby
2008 Lunar Rock 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build

Last edited by Darklight; 12-05-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Drift Monkey
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Definitely seems to be an issue with HVAC system. I'm not ver familiar with that system so other may chime in. Might be the unit or bad relay, etc.
For sure...I'm thinking it's one of the actuators down there. Thanks for the reply bulldog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
Welcome, I can give you a starting point. Check the cabin filter area for any blockages or anything that could be causing the noise. The link below is a write up for replacement.

http://www.toyota120.com/html/cabin_filter.html

Maybe some info here to check relays and fuses:

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8582

On the hazard lights. I do not think they light up or have a light at all. Hope this helps some.

Bobby
Thanks Bobby! I plan on taking off the glove compartment and poking around to pinpoint the sound. Thanks for the links too, much appreciated!

After searching around some, it appears the hazard button does have a light, but the center panel has to come out in order to get to the switch (same goes for the rear window button). Maybe yours is burnt out too?
Unread 12-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Darklight
Old Timer

You're right about thre hazard mine lights up

Bobby
2008 Lunar Rock 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Unread 12-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Drift Monkey
Rookie

I took the glove box/cubby off today, poked around, and found the source of the problem. It is indeed the HVAC Heater Blend Door Actuator (part number: 87106-35120). This part if not too expensive (luckily), but I'm going to try to take it out and see if I can fix it before ordering a new unit. THe problem is getting the damn thing out! It looks like I may have to remove the entire blower assembly to get to the mounting screws that are tucked further in (not a whole lotta room in there). Maybe a flexible screwdriver would work?

On another note, did the H9s last weekend and was impressed. Much brighter and glare doesn't seem to be an issue.

Last edited by Drift Monkey; 12-08-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
Drift Monkey
Rookie

So I tore my hands up (yes, there was blood) for about 3 hours today and have good and bad news.

The good news is, I got the stupid HVAC heater blend door actuator out and it works fine. I opened her up and inspected...the contacts were a little dirty but not too bad. I hooked it up to the truck (before reinstalling) and messed with the switches and it turned smoothly, no buzzing. So it's not the actual actuator/motor itself.

I took a shortcut to getting it out. I unscrewed the actuator from the mount and unscrewed the top 2 mounting screws and bent the mount a bit to get the actuator out. It worked great, except when I went to reassemble, I dropped the rear mounting screw somewhere. This normally would be ok, since everything just falls to the floor mat...but not this screw. This screw went to the abyss.

The bad news is, the source of the problem seems to lie in how the blender door arms (there are 3) fit into the white plastic piece (it has tracks that accept the rods from the door arms) connected to actuator motor. It almost seems like someone tried to fix this before and didn't reassemble correctly to begin with (hence the buzz ). Anyways, now I have to figure out how to line it up correctly so the actuator can turn and move the blend door arms...not exactly an easy task since there is literally NO SPACE in there. I may end up just pulling the blower motor assembly just for this (and maybe find that damn screw). Either that or I might just take her somewhere so someone else can deal with it (at least I know there won't be parts costs involved, just labor). I know my hands would probably thank me....

On the upside (although ghetto), I am able to manually move the air controls now. I set it where all the vents are open, figured it's simpler that way and covers all bases (in case I need the defrost, etc). I wish that stuff was still just manually controlled. Ah well, at least I have air coming through my center vents now...
Unread 12-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
Darklight
Old Timer

Any pics ?
Darklight's Build
Unread 12-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
Drift Monkey
Rookie

Of my torn up mitts? You sure you wanna see 'em?

Front of the actuator:

Back (you can see the white piece I was referring to):

Opened up (you see see the 3 prongs of the contacts, this is before I cleaned em up some):