Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Meet, Trail Runs, Expeditions and Land Use > Meeting, Trail run and Expedition reporting

Unread 04-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
JP4Crawler
Driver

Default Loose Rock Falls/ Red Rock, SoCal

This is a trail a fellow wheeler over at TTORA mentioned a few months back. I couldn't believe a trail like this existed, in my own backyard, that I didn't know about. So I asked where, he said "South of Last Chance", pretty vague, but after a few scouting trips with my boys, we found it. BTW, I made up that name, I don't know the real name, he called it 19th Pole Cnyn but didn't explain why, so I called it Loose Rock Falls because that's what you get.

A total of 5 falls, each with it's own unique challenge. Made fall 1 & 2 without much issue. The trail from #2 to #3 is pretty tuff & very tight in a few spots. At fall #3 we realized my ATRAC wasn't working & after countless attempts & lines, I elected to take the bypass. Made fall #4 without ATRAC. At fall #5 I turned off the 4R knowing it would take time to get my brother up, if at all. I was told F/R lockers, plus a winch, would most likely be required. We are a pretty determined group. Only 15 small/medium rocks on the driver side & 1 big on the passenger, got my bro up. It sounds like a lot, but if/when you see it, it wasn't. I took the strap right away & realized later that ATRAC had cooled off & was working again. I got a little tug but am confident the 4R would have made it unassisted. I thought I made it alone, but was informed that pressure was applied to the line. Maybe next time. Cptn Ron took the strap too, but I was only pulling the line with my hands to keep the line clear.

It was my fathers Bday & he was ready to wheel, so we took the day off & went to uncharted(for us) trails in Red Rock Cnyn. This was definitely the most difficult trail I have completed. The pics:

Fall #1.

Fall #2

The tight spot before Fall #3

Fall #3, which I didn't make.

Fall #4 made, but no pics, Dads not too savvy with the camera.

Fall #5, the deal breaker!!

A late, but very good BBQ lunch after completing this trail. We were very glad to have made it.

We removed every single rock placed to complete Fall #5, so at our next Randsburg run, we can have some fun for those interested.

2004 SR5 4R V8: DR CO up front, 7100 Bilstein & 30% Deaver springs rear, 1.25" 4C BL, Demello sliders, BB Skids, SW Bumper w/Ramsey winch, MagnaFlow muffler, 285/75/R16 MT MTZ's on AR Chambers, 4.56 Cryo'd gears, locked F/R ARB, AP square lower links w/custom 4XDR hangers, Herc'd lower panels. Trail tested Hammers approved.
JP4Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
JP4Crawler
Driver

I did aquire a bit of rock rash, so this is definitely not for the faint of heart. We also found some interesting canyons while trying to find the most direct trail to the Hwy, which I might explore when temps cool off some more.

2004 SR5 4R V8: DR CO up front, 7100 Bilstein & 30% Deaver springs rear, 1.25" 4C BL, Demello sliders, BB Skids, SW Bumper w/Ramsey winch, MagnaFlow muffler, 285/75/R16 MT MTZ's on AR Chambers, 4.56 Cryo'd gears, locked F/R ARB, AP square lower links w/custom 4XDR hangers, Herc'd lower panels. Trail tested Hammers approved.
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
chiefiji

awesome pics as usual. glad to see somebody wheeling the hell out of their 4runner.
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
bulldog
Admin

Man looks like you are having fun with your 4Runner!!! You are definitely getting a lot of seat time in it.

I can't wait to start this years rematch from trails not completed last year, and yes Jawbone/Randsburgis on the list with Big Bear.

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

As gnarly as ever, thanks for sharing.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 BFG ATs on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4Crawler View Post
Fall #5, the deal breaker!!

Falls #5 - "Deal Breaker" - perfect name!

Man you really are getting offroad a lot. Props to you.
04 V8 SE, F250 Solid Axles Swap, Marlin Crawl Case, FT Case swap, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper. Shrockworks F.Bumper

Last edited by expat; 04-26-2007 at 12:36 PM.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
05sport4x4
Senior Driver

Looks like a great time Jason. I'd love to get only half as often as you do. Guess I'm envious, having to spending all my time at work and home right now.

05 4Runner Sport V6 - General Grabber ATX 275/70/17, Donahoe Adj C/O', Custom rear colis, Radflo rear shocks, Hanna sliders
89 Extra Cab 4x4 Pickup, with stuff
05sport4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #8
JP4Crawler
Driver

Work definitely keeps me busy too, but my boys are only 2, so no sports/boy scouts/school, that makes it easier I'm sure. My wife practically kicks me out the door to get a break from her full time mommy job. It's a great program for now, just hope it lasts untill all the mods are complete!