Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Offroad Tech and Tips > Offroad techniques and tips

Unread 12-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
bulldog
Admin

Question Wheeling the auto with ATRAC

I have a read a few times that it very slow crawling situations with an auto it is best to keep your left foot on the brake while slowly accelarating wih the right on the gas. Obviously don't stomp on the brake or gas. Basically add some resisteance to the drivetrain to avoid the "sloppiness' of the torque converter. So you add hold lightly on the brake and then use a bit more power on the accelarotor to make the vehicle move forward.

This allows for the torque converter to tighten up and makes the vehicle crawl nice and really slow when needed (Obviously this is when extreme control over crawling speed is desired) So instead of the torque converter pushing forward or standing still it will move nice and slow. This helps when clearing some big rocks as you wont speed of on the other sidee of it.

So here is my question. I tried it at Hollister yesterday and it works really nice. I could swear that the ATRAC still kicked in with my left foot lightly on the brake. However I would like some other folks to try it out when they go wheeling and report back their experiences. This might be good to know for all.

See if it makes it beter or worse for you. Also if ATRAC still works the same for you, or bettter,or worse, or if ATRAC stops working for you when touching the brake.

Just train your left foot to be gentle on the brake. Luckily I learned left foot braking many moons ago while racing. At first you have a tendency to overpower the brake with your left foot.

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Ryanmb21
Some Guy

Thumbs up It worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog
I have a read a few times that it very slow crawling situations with an auto it is best to keep your left foot on the brake while slowly accelarating wih the right on the gas. Obviously don't stomp on the brake or gas. Basically add some resisteance to the drivetrain to avoid the "sloppiness' of the torque converter. So you add hold lightly on the brake and then use a bit more power on the accelarotor to make the vehicle move forward.

This allows for the torque converter to tighten up and makes the vehicle crawl nice and really slow when needed (Obviously this is when extreme control over crawling speed is desired) So instead of the torque converter pushing forward or standing still it will move nice and slow. This helps when clearing some big rocks as you wont speed of on the other sidee of it.

So here is my question. I tried it at Hollister yesterday and it works really nice. I could swear that the ATRAC still kicked in with my left foot lightly on the brake. However I would like some other folks to try it out when they go wheeling and report back their experiences. This might be good to know for all.

See if it makes it beter or worse for you. Also if ATRAC still works the same for you, or bettter,or worse, or if ATRAC stops working for you when touching the brake.

Just train your left foot to be gentle on the brake. Luckily I learned left foot braking many moons ago while racing. At first you have a tendency to overpower the brake with your left foot.
; this last weekend at Rowher Flats both times my wheels started to spin where I lost all momentum, I used this trick. Just lightly held the brake with the left foot, and both times I was able to re-gain momentum and climb the grade....

On my radio, I heard one of the watcher's say..."Does that have lockers...did he just put on the locker?"

And yes, while doing this I could feel ATRAC at work........these 4runners are very cool.....
Ryanmb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
bulldog
Admin

Kewl, thx for confirming it. I haven't needed it to that level again for some time now. At Frank Raines I just build a nice bt of momentum and climbed the hills no prob. No need at that time to have slow crawling.

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
Unread 05-22-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

I used this technique yesterday out on the Kodachrome Trail. There's a bypass that goes up some red rock slick rock, that's really not meant for trucks. It was working really nice, but, I ran out of room. Rich and his 1st gen Tacoma made it up, just barely. But I think that me being at least 7" wider, taking the same line, and almost laying my drivers door on the rock. Here's another great reason to have sliders, as I was resting on them with about .5" till sheet metal met rock. Hey, I gave it a shot. I'll post up a picture later when I get home from work.
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 08:24 PM   #5
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

One thing is that it's not entirely easy getting your left foot to work properly, when you have always driven with just your right.
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
Unread 02-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Joel
Admin

Here's some no locker ATRAC action:Video

2004 Limited 4WD V8
Mods.

Last edited by Joel; 02-08-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Linky now worky

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
Unread 02-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
AlexJet
Old Timer

Quote:
Link doesn't work
'09 Custom Expedition Trailer --- 35"
AlexJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
Joel
Admin

....fixed....

2004 Limited 4WD V8
Mods.
Unread 02-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
bulldog
Admin

Good video Joel, I remember the firsttime I saw it, as it really shows ATRAC kicking in. What was also amazing at that obstacle was how much easier the rigs with ATRAC went through compared to the ones with just a rear locker.

Maybe you can slow it down 2x to show the wheels in the air getting braked by the ATRAC system.

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
Unread 02-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
Joel
Admin

Slowed down 2x

2004 Limited 4WD V8
Mods.
Unread 02-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

It took quite a few tries for this work computer to actually find and play, but it worked, and looked cool in slow motion!
Unread 02-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Looks really good in slomo.

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
Unread 02-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

I showed it to our new car manager, he was amazed. I don't think that he's actually ever seen A-Trac work.
Unread 02-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
05sport4x4
Senior Driver

Quote:
Very cool in slooow mooo

05 4Runner Sport V6 - General Grabber ATX 275/70/17, Donahoe Adj C/O', Custom rear colis, Radflo rear shocks, Hanna sliders
89 Extra Cab 4x4 Pickup, with stuff
05sport4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #16
JeepResQ
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!

Smile Yepper! - Its called: BTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post

I got taught that in the military. Its called brake throttle modulation. Some of us country folk call it the "brake trick".

I used to know how to explain it, but if you do a google, I am sure someone can explain it better than me. Its used a LOT on hummers by the US Army.
JeepResQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 05:27 AM   #17
Iron Clad Lou
Rookie

Quote:
very cool joel...btw, where did you get that grill insert? do you have any close up pics of it? I like it!
Unread 04-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #18
VCV79
Rookie

Just wondering if anyone has tried clicking the emergency brake in just slightly. Say one click or so. SInce it locks in place you wouldn't have to worry about keeping your left foot on the brake. Hope it's not too dumb of a question!
VCV79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #19
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCV79 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tried clicking the emergency brake in just slightly. Say one click or so. SInce it locks in place you wouldn't have to worry about keeping your left foot on the brake. Hope it's not too dumb of a question!
Interesting idea, although I think the eBrake is pretty useless, especially in 4Lo.

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
Unread 04-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #20
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

And it only works on the rear wheels.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 BFG ATs on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote