Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Unread 04-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #41
zidaro
Rookie

Well, i will have some beta to contribute here in a couple weeks. Once i get around to the install.

Picked up 5th gen. front and rear sets off T4R members of -
Fox DSC 2.5 extended travel coilovers and a set of ICON RR 2.5 Rear shocks. Both were off 5th gen runners.
Ill be installing on my new to me 08 V8 4x4 4th gen.
Have ICON tubular UCA's and picking up a set of the MT LT rear springs to accompany.
Let you know how things fit up

Iluv4xtoys
zidaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #42
Seamaster
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJR View Post
I'm glad it all worked out for you, but I get cold shivers just looking at that jack stand arrangement, especially the back ones stacked up on boards. Please do yourself and your family a favor and spend $120 ($60/pair from Autozone) for 4 proper heavy-duty wide-base and tall enough stands, and throw your wheels under the frame as backup while you're working on the vehicle.

That extra $120 is nothing compared to the ER and rehab bill if something goes wrong. Be safe when doing these projects.
Agree with you!
This is "not do this at home" scenario. The operation has been performed by trained professional. There was nothing better in the garage that day, so I needed to improvise! As I said - don't do that at home! I did do lots of pushing and shoving before I did go below that truck. If I couldn't push it sideways of the stands, I felt it's going to be safe for the day. Plus, I never do any big bolts by me being under the car. Just habit.
When you do major mods, good wide base stands are necessity!
Seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #43
Seamaster
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex grrr View Post
Awesome! Can you describe how the Kings ride?

Suggestions
- Ditch the front swaybar completely. It'll be a much more plush ride
- You don't need the diff drop
I like the ride. It s not as soft as I expected but is defiantly nice and feels good.
I do get the envious looks on the street from other 4Runner owners
Unread 04-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #44
Seamaster
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
100% agree

Sent 1s and 0s.
I will try that some time soon, when I get time to remove the sway bar.
Unread 04-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #45
Seamaster
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
Looks like way too much front lift, post a pict of your cv joints, please.
Mikestang, the cv joints are angled down, but it does not look under extreme angle. I would say when the spring is fully the angel up will be more much more severe up, then it is now down. Does that makes sense?
Unread 04-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #46
Seamaster
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Glad you like the setup and it fitted. Seems King didn't use 5th gen pins, which is fine.
I would adjust the front down to 3" front lift after settling, will improve the ride even more and be better in the long run.
I'm sure it will be more comfortable, but I'm not sure if the Kings are easily adjustable in place.
Anyhow, the cv joints are designed to work under angle. I agree there is little bit more load on them under larger angles, but it shouldn't be something that would kill them too fast. Especially when I run my truck in 2wheel drive most of the time. In that scenario they just roll and are freewheeling with almost 0 load.
Unread 04-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #47
java230
Old Timer

Its pretty well noted that the CV's will destroy themselves in a hurry under much more than 3-3.5" front lift. They also have far less spline engagement at higher angles.... Just did it with a buddies truck a couple months ago, full droop and nearly no weight on the corner and the CV just popped.

Keep an eye on them.
Unread 04-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #48
Seamaster
Rookie

I will re-measure now after few months of driving. Maybe the front has settled little lower than what it was after I just installed the suspension. I will try to publish new pics. Or at least the new numbers.

Tags
comfort, fox, icon, lift, suspension