Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > Prado 120

Unread 11-29-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
Budgey
Rookie

Default 1KD-FTV Timing belt swap

Hi there guys! I'm a new member looking into the possibility of a DIY timing belt change. I have a 2004 3.0 D4D Land Cruiser Prado that was originally registered in the UK, but now lives with me in Bulgaria. I have just passed the 90,000 mile stage, and the timing belt light has illuminated on the dash. I am almost 500km from a Toyota service centre, so I don't particularly want to risk the drive, and would prefer - if possible - to try to swap the belt out myself. I'm not pressed for time, as the car doesn't need to be on the road for over a month. I wonder if some of you experts would be able to answer a few questions for me:
  1. Is there a good service guide/manual that you could recommend to help me perform this task, and other engine-related maintenance? (downloadable from the Internet, if possible)
  2. Will I need any special tools for the job?
  3. Is there anything else I should swap out at the same time - the water pump, for instance?
  4. Is there a way for me to reset the 'T Belt' warning light on the dash? (I noticed this question has been asked in another thread, but as yet it remains unanswered.)

If anyone can help me with some, or all, of the above questions it will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Terry.
Budgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
arjan
Driver

The majority of members here are from North America, and unfortunately we never got the diesels here.

Not many people here can help you with that, I'm afraid.
Unread 12-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
Budgey
Rookie

Thanks for letting me know. I was able to find the info I needed from other sources, so if it's helpful to any other members, i'll post the answers to my questions below:
  1. I obtained the service manual from someone on eBay, and he was kind enough to supply me with a download link that enabled me to download it direct to my pc.
  2. There are no special tools required, apart from: a 10mm socket to remove timing cover, 10mm allen key to remove idler pulley, 2mm allen key to lock down the belt adjuster when re-fitting. 6 x 10mm bolts holding on cam-belt cover, 2 x 10mm bolts holding on the belt tensioner, 1 x 10mm allen key bolt holding on the idler pulley and that is it! (Thanks to Skywalkerrun at PradoPoint) *I'll add a torque wrench to that*
  3. It's wise to renew the idler pulley. And the general consensus, is to leave the water pump alone if it's not leaking, as it won't be too difficult to swap it out down the line.
  4. Resetting the timing light on the 120 can be done following the procedure below (kindly provided by Damonat at PradoPoint):

T-BELT MODE DISPLAY
a) With ignition turned ON, using the trip switch (select/reset button) change the display to ODO, and turn the ignition OFF
b) While pressing the trip switch, turn the ignition switch ON and hold it for 5 seconds.
c) Release the trip switch, then press the switch again within 5 seconds.
d) The digital display should change to T-belt mode. The initial display "15" (0,000km) is displayed (ie. 150,000km).

REWRITING REPLACEMENT VALUES
While in the T-Belt mode, each press of the trip switch will change the displayed value by 10,000km increments. Once " 20 " (200,000km) is reached the display reverts back to " 1 " (10,000km) again. Remember, this setting is the number of kilometres to be travelled before the light comes on next, and once reset this counter will start from zero.
I believe the timing belt interval for all the 100 series engine variants is 150,000km, but this should be checked against each different markets servicing recommendation. This being the case, you shouldn't need to change from the default setting of "15".
Obviously for the US, the ODO is in miles, and I guess the T-Belt warning would be set in 10,000 mile intervals.

T-BELT WARNING RESET COMPLETION
a) After setting the replacement setting value, hold the trip switch ON for more than 5 seconds then release the switch.
b) Check that the display has now changed back to ODO and that the warning light has gone off when the engine is started.
NOTE: If the T-Belt mode is completed, even though the belt replacement has not been performed, the T-Belt warning IS reset.

I hope this info is of help should the D-4D engine become more popular over there in North America.

Terry...
Budgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
arjan
Driver

The popularity factor has nothing to do with it. Toyota just doesn't offer it over here. I think it would sell quite well if it was available.

Mercedes, Volkswagen Audi, and now BMW are the only ones offering diesels in their cars/suvs.