Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Communications

Unread 12-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Default Detachable Head Unit?

So on the T4R.org forums a member should a picture of his setup which had 4 head units, HF, CB, GMRS (IIRC), ect.

My question was why they don't make an all-in-one unit, which a member responded that its against FCC regs.

I was wondering then, is it possible to say locate these head units in the back of the vehicle and use a single detachable interface to manage them all? It seems stupid in this day of itty bitty transistors and computerization that we can't have a simple way to interface with all these units without needing 4 separate interfaces.

I'm thinking something like a "car-puter" that I know some tuners and such run for their video/audio systems?
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
blk-4runner
doing it all wrong.

that wouldn't be a bad idea!
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
MCL68
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWorksInc View Post
So on the T4R.org forums a member should a picture of his setup which had 4 head units, HF, CB, GMRS (IIRC), ect.

My question was why they don't make an all-in-one unit, which a member responded that its against FCC regs.

I was wondering then, is it possible to say locate these head units in the back of the vehicle and use a single detachable interface to manage them all? It seems stupid in this day of itty bitty transistors and computerization that we can't have a simple way to interface with all these units without needing 4 separate interfaces.

I'm thinking something like a "car-puter" that I know some tuners and such run for their video/audio systems?
It would be great in theory to keep the clutter of equipment to a minimum.

The reason radio communications manufacturers don't make a Swiss Army Knife style radio is......there is no market for it. If there were, some company would have done it already.
MCL68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL68 View Post
It would be great in theory to keep the clutter of equipment to a minimum.

The reason radio communications manufacturers don't make a Swiss Army Knife style radio is......there is no market for it. If there were, some company would have done it already.
I find that so difficult to believe though, I mean look at a large majority of enthusiasts that spend money on communications? They have Ham, CB, and/or what ever else they feel they need. What about First Responders or Fire Marshals? They have multiple bands and antennae they use?

In any case, in leiu of product one can purchase. My question is if anyone has set-up a system to run through one panel? I see audio/vid guys manage to rig up amazing custom infotainment systems in cars, so I wonder if anyone has managed to do that with the input/outputs on these systems?

I'm out of my element here in terms of how to integrate these types of systems so I'm really asking you guys for ideas and input .
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
MCL68
Super Moderator

Sorry Paul, I may have misunderstood your question. This unit is probably close to what your looking for.

http://ncsradio.com/commercial/C250.shtml

Last edited by MCL68; 12-17-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Unread 12-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL68 View Post
Sorry Paul, I may have misunderstood your question. This unit is probably close to what your looking for.

http://ncsradio.com/commercial/C250.shtml

Sweet! Thanks!
Unread 12-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
UnionJack
Old Timer

Mark, that pic does not include two cans and some string

Paul, Not trying to rain on your parade or anything JMHO. I think it comes down to practical communications. It may be desirable for a first responder or similar to have access to multiple frequencies. But based on experience wheeling the fewer damn radios there are the better. Just running CB and HAM (I once tried to include FRS j/k), the number of times I pick up the wrong mic is hilarious. Even if that kind of unit was available I would not even consider it, I would encourage you to get your HAM license and be done with comms. period.

And from the PPHHR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
I got caught spraying the truck down. The guy allowed it as long as it was just the outside and I did not do the undercarriage. Just went to another one and got the muck off.

Definitely an interesting trip. Things I learned this trip...

1. HAM is awesome compared to CB.
2. Ruts + mud = slide into rut no matter what.
3. RC cars are fun
4. Don't allow a fellow wheeler bring a nice LED bar that he is trying to sell. Thanks Mark I am sure I will enjoy it.

I will put together a video of what I took on my next days off. So stayed tuned.

Thanks all it was a blast.

sent from a Galaxy SIII...

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
MCL68
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
Mark, that pic does not include two cans and some string
Everytime I'm reminded how antiquated that form of comms is, I flashback to this image.

Sorry Paul.......Jon made me do it.
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

The reason I ask is because my Friend who's gotten out of the USAF (Network Communications on Drone systems in the field) was talking about Civil Air Patrol and was encouraging me to join. My uncle is also a Park Ranger and rescue responder out in Nevada City and I told him I was interested in helping them out when I was in the area.

Both things I would assume will mean more comms equipment and you know how I like to make things look nice John!

Oh Yeah! That's some classic he haw fun!
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #10
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

So quick related question and I didn't want to make a whole new thread for it.

That interface box is a cool option, but I was wondering is there any way I could wire the controls into something like a PC system?

i.e. utilize stand alone CB, HAM, ect units. But things like switching between desired comms, adjusting settings, ect is all don't by a computer interface?

I found an old website where someone made something akin to a CB to PC Control box and I wonder if I could do that with say Linux?

This would be an ideal solution IMHO as the radio units are all separate and select-able so I don't have three bands going off at once, they are all stand alone so their wiring, requirements, ect are the same as if you had the separate boxes mounted up front, and I can manage it all on a digital interface along with other things like Audio, Nav ect.

I realize the complexity and such involved in such an idea and its fine with me, the issue is just that I don't know if anyone makes this sort of adapter?