Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 06-26-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Question Dual battery alternative

I was wondering what the pros and cons are of wiring a second battery in parallel (pos to pos and neg to neg) with the main battery. My electrical knowledge is limited but it seems that I would get double the amperage, reserve capacity, etc... with the same voltage. It's a much simpler (and cheaper) setup than a true switchable dual batt system. Any thoughts?
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Well, it kinda defeats the purpose when you do it that way, because if one battery goes dead they both go dead.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
bulldog
Admin

Most dual battery systems does connect the 2 batteries in parallel, they just have a seperator to isolate one battery from the rest. Typically the isolater is automated to connect when the engine is running, so both batteries gets charged, and then disconnect when the engine is off to isolate.

This way one battery can be used for accesories without fear of the accesories drainign the starting battery. Thsu the concept of main adn second battery. WHere the main runs the main system electrics and starter, and then the secondary abttery is sued to dirve accesories like fridges, etc.

Most of these isolaters have a override switch to double capity or help out with starting if needs be.

In the above setup the main battery is a normal starting battery, but the secodn one is a deep cycle unit to prevent it from dieing if it gets drained coimpletely.

In very cold countries it seems Toyota ships the vehicles with a 2 batteries connected in parallel for extra capacity (no seperator or isolater).

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
Well, it kinda defeats the purpose when you do it that way, because if one battery goes dead they both go dead.
I would really like a more technical explanation of why if one goes dead the other will too. Let's say one goes bad, gets sulfated whatever, how would it specifically affect the second battery?

BTW, thanks bulldog for a very clear and concise explanation of how the dual battery / isolator circuit works together with my main battery. Now... about that spelling...
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
Unread 06-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mudder View Post
Now... about that spelling...
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mudder View Post
I would really like a more technical explanation of why if one goes dead the other will too. Let's say one goes bad, gets sulfated whatever, how would it specifically affect the second battery?
Without an isolator and the batteries connected directly terminal to terminal, if one battery died it would simply drain the other battery since it's connected directly to it.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Photog
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
Without an isolator and the batteries connected directly terminal to terminal, if one battery died it would simply drain the other battery since it's connected directly to it.
Chris,

In this case, we are talking about "dieing" due to being drained by accessories, not chemical or mechanical failure of the battery.

Accessories or system shorts would just drain two batteries, instead of only one. Murphy's law says this would happen, when you were the furthest from civilization.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.

Last edited by Photog; 06-26-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
Chris,

Murphy's law says this would happen, when you were the furthest from civilization.
Alas, I'm very familiar with that law... Point taken, I'll do it the right way the first time.
Unread 06-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

If two batteries are connected together when the car is not running (car not running) the weak battery will drain the strong battery.

A very simple anology is two buckets of water with a hose connecting them at the bottom. If one of the buckets has less water in it, water will flow from the other until both buckets have the same amount of water.

Connecting two batteries together without an isolator/separator is generally not reccomended for this reason. Your weak, damaged, or dead, battery will kill your good battery. Also if the batteries are not the same as each other this condition can be aggravated.
Donahoes, OME 895/N142S, Conferr Rack, Hanna Sliders, Cobra 75WX CB, ARB Air, Dual Batts (24v/12v), Shrockworks Bumper, PIAA 510s & 520s, Rear Floodlights, Oil Filter Relo & Fumoto Valve, BumBuilt Skids, ATG620 Laptop & Docking Station, Kenwood D710A w/ APRS, GPS60, MM 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch, Capstan Winch, Power Steering Cooler & Filter, 1/2" RogerBrown Bodylift
Ed-KE7MWY
Vegas Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2008, 12:06 AM   #10
808BMW
Rookie

As stated, the weaker battery will drain the stronger one.

Basically, unless you buy 2 new batteries (preferably from the same batch, close serial numbers are nice) then your new battery + your stock battery will always be different and will drain each other.
Even then, all it does is give you more reserve capacity, an isolator is much better.

In my old car I had 2 new matching blue tops run parallel with each other, with isolators running to the stock battery. Top notch, but pricey
808BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #11
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Ok all,
Good analogies and explanations. I appreciate the feedback.
A few hundred bucks for peace of mind in the middle of nowhere is actually priceless...