Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Unread 10-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Net4n6
Driver

Default Important infor. to check after you replace your rims

I am glad that I found out before it happened. I replaced my stock rim with an aftermarket model. For the longest time, I never rotate the tires or remove the after market tire/wheel by myself. I took it to the shop and they did it for free since I bought the wheels there.

Yesterday, I was working on the aftermarket spare wheel. Damm, the stock wheel nuts remover (I don't know how to call it) didn't fit through the holes of the aftermarket wheels.

Moral of the story, I would be screwed if I have a flat tire and I couldn't remove the wheel to replace it because of stock wheel nuts removal was too big for my after market wheels. I am heading to autopart store to get the one that fit.
Net4n6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

You can get the Gorilla wrench. It's expandable, and should fit your new lugs, or at least you lug nut key.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/power.wrench
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/

NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...

Last edited by my034runner; 10-02-2008 at 12:25 PM.
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net4n6 View Post
I am glad that I found out before it happened. I replaced my stock rim with an aftermarket model. For the longest time, I never rotate the tires or remove the after market tire/wheel by myself. I took it to the shop and they did it for free since I bought the wheels there.

Yesterday, I was working on the aftermarket spare wheel. Damm, the stock wheel nuts remover (I don't know how to call it) didn't fit through the holes of the aftermarket wheels.

Moral of the story, I would be screwed if I have a flat tire and I couldn't remove the wheel to replace it because of stock wheel nuts removal was too big for my after market wheels. I am heading to autopart store to get the one that fit.
Good thing to check!
Donahoes, OME 895/N142S, Conferr Rack, Hanna Sliders, Cobra 75WX CB, ARB Air, Dual Batts (24v/12v), Shrockworks Bumper, PIAA 510s & 520s, Rear Floodlights, Oil Filter Relo & Fumoto Valve, BumBuilt Skids, ATG620 Laptop & Docking Station, Kenwood D710A w/ APRS, GPS60, MM 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch, Capstan Winch, Power Steering Cooler & Filter, 1/2" RogerBrown Bodylift
Ed-KE7MWY
Vegas Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Didn't they give you a new tool to undo the lug nuts when you bought the new wheels? My new wheels were supplied with a new tool (although I did buy new nuts too).
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Didn't they give you a new tool to undo the lug nuts when you bought the new wheels? My new wheels were supplied with a new tool (although I did buy new nuts too).
I only got the "key" for the locking nuts with my aftermarket wheel nuts. My nuts use a 19mm thin wall socket, so I bought 2 socket and 2 additional spare "keys". This way I keep one socket and key in the back, and one set in the center console. Didn't want to get stuck without a key or socket on the trail.

It raises a good point, but I think we covered it in the trail tools and spares thread as well.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
I only got the "key" for the locking nuts with my aftermarket wheel nuts. My nuts use a 19mm thin wall socket, so I bought 2 socket and 2 additional spare "keys". This way I keep one socket and key in the back, and one set in the center console. Didn't want to get stuck without a key or socket on the trail.

It raises a good point, but I think we covered it in the trail tools and spares thread as well.

I've got two or three Gorilla keys for my nuts, a couple of 19mm sockets, a Gorilla wrench, and my Snap-On impact wrench.
Definitely helps to have multiple of....well....everything!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
Unread 10-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post
I've got two or three Gorilla keys for my nuts, a couple of 19mm sockets, a Gorilla wrench, and my Snap-On impact wrench.
Definitely helps to have multiple of....well....everything!
Don't use impacts wrenches on lug nuts.
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!
Unread 10-03-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Joel
Admin

Why? As long as you're careful tightening and make sure there's always a few clicks on the torque wrench after you're done with the impact? I know a lot of people go crazy with the impact, but I think if you know the tool you're using you should be ok.

2004 Limited 4WD V8
Mods.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
Net4n6
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
No I didn't get any tool. Do they suspose to give me one? I didn't ask for it. It thought they are all the same size.

I picked one up at Kragens for $15. It's not Gorilla but OK for me.
Net4n6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
05sport4x4
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Why? As long as you're careful tightening and make sure there's always a few clicks on the torque wrench after you're done with the impact? I know a lot of people go crazy with the impact, but I think if you know the tool you're using you should be ok.
I agree. Make sure to have the torque setting lower then the required final 83lbs there should not be a problem assuming you are using the correct procedure.
Also they are great for removing the nuts.

05 4Runner Sport V6 - Goodyear SA 275/70/17, Donahoe Adj C/O', Custom rear colis, Radflo rear shocks, Hanna sliders
89 Extra Cab 4x4 Pickup, 22re, 31x10.5 w/4.56's & ARB in rear
05sport4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Don't use impact tools to torque lugs...ok? There was no mention of a torque wrench in the tool list (in this thread) hence why I suggested not using an impact wrench with a extendable socket etc. on lug nuts.

The other thing is that if you are doing your lug nuts properly, you are meant to do each nut in pattern, and starting at 20-30ft/lbs on each, sequentially. This seats the wheel accurately on the hub.Then increase the setting to 55-60ft/lbs and again sequentially. Finally tighten to your final desired torque setting.

Now, most people set up an impact wrench without this plan. Be honest, most people just blast away until they are within a few ft/lbs on the desired setting. Especially with alum wheels it's important to get even balance of torque setting across the whole wheel in prgressive steps. Most people (observation) never set their impact gun for progressive tightening.

But hey do what floats your boat. Just don't ask me to help ya with busted studs or diagnosing why your truck seems to get vibrations. I've done that enough on my own truck LOL!

Last edited by expat; 10-03-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Unread 10-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
97kurt
Administrator

Or you can get one of these and blast away on your lugs.

http://www.torquestick.com/cart/cust...3&cat=1&page=1
Unread 10-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #13
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97kurt View Post
Or you can get one of these and blast away on your lugs.

http://www.torquestick.com/cart/cust...3&cat=1&page=1

Dang! That thing is pretty cool! Might have to get one.