Unread 05-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Default Panhard install

When removing and reinstalling the panhard do I need to:

1. Not jack stand the truck at all - just undo bolts and remove
2. Jack stand just the truck on the frame and let the suspension droop
3. Jack stand the truck and support the suspension

My assumption is support truck and suspension...

The toyota manual says nothing about supporting either truck or suspension. It appears you just unbolt, remove, replace.

Thx
Mark
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2016, 05:34 AM   #2
Robinhood4x4
Driver

I wrote a few paragraphs saying either way should work, but then I got to thinking if you leave it on the ground with the frame unsupported, what's to keep the truck from flopping over (shifting over) when the panhard is removed? So I'm changing my answer (it's been a while since I removed a panhard)

I would jack stand the frame and use a floor jack under the axle to lift it up half way or so. If anything shifts or you're using a different length panhard, then the hard part is getting everything to line up again. To do that, I used ratchet straps.

Last edited by Robinhood4x4; 05-29-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Robinhood4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
bulldog
Admin

I prefer to have the frame on jack stands, take off wheels to reduce axle weight and then support the axle with a trolley jack. It is much easier to them move the axle around to take off and fit the new panhard. Sometimes I use a jack on the pumpkin to take the weight and a second on either side of the axle to adjust the length between the panhard bolt locations by swiveling the axle axle over the center.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
I wrote a few paragraphs saying either way should work, but then I got to thinking if you leave it on the ground with the frame unsupported, what's to keep the truck from flopping over (shifting over) when the panhard is removed? So I'm changing my answer (it's been a while since I removed a panhard)

I would jack stand the frame and use a floor jack under the axle to lift it up half way or so. If anything shifts or you're using a different length panhard, then the hard part is getting everything to line up again. To do that, I used ratchet straps.
This is the best method I found.

Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Thx guys.

Truck is having FJ twin sticks installed currently so panhard will have to wait.

The new panhard is adjustable length. I will set it to stock length. Don't really need to change it but bought it when the assumption was that lifting the truck (suspension) shifted the axle sideways, which, according to others, is so negligent to not be necessary, so i have this new panhard lying around collecting dust for 2yrs, so I'll switch it out for the OEM then trash the stock one.
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote