Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Communications

Unread 07-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Default In dash CB Install

Ok, so I got a CB for my birthday and in the continuing tradition of using whatever wasted space I have in my truck I decided to install my CB in the dash, right below my stereo.

The unit I chose is a Uniden PRO 520XL. It's very compact, has a long history of good performance and it was cheap. Did I mention it was cheap? $31 on E-bay, brand new. I looked at one other CB that was smaller, but it was chintzy and more expensive. For my antenna I went with a Wilson Little Wil. I wanted a quality antenna that was small (not 6 ft tall) and cheap. This is a trail comm system with occasional hwy use.

I started with the antenna... Mounted center of truck above front seats...

I then ran the coax from the pass side rack rail down the rain gutter into the engine compartment...

Those bumps on the coax are a few wraps of electrical tape. They allow me to tuck the coax into the rubber rain channel of the windshield for a solid highway speed proof friction fit...

I ran the coax from the engine compartment into the pass compartment via a large rubber grommet on the pass side of the firewall...

Here is where it comes out inside. I then hid it behind the black plastic kickpanel you can see and routed it to the center of the dash...

Here's the console taken apart with the radio showing the small horizontal cubby where the CB will go...

Radio and mounting kit out of the truck. Now, how to get that CB into that little space?

Apparently, fairly easy. I cut out a slot from the bottom of the cubby just wide enough for the CB to slide in. I adjusted the depth of the CB in the cubby and secured it in the back to the radio...

I then ran the power wires and external speaker cable from my external CB speaker (see the Integrated CB/Bluetooth speaker install thread). Followed that with a SWR meter and tuned my setup. I got SWR of 1.7:1 on CH 1 and 40 and SWR of 1:1 on CH 20
Then reconnected antenna coax to CB and partially mounted in the dash...

Finished reassembling the dash and center console. Power is tapped from the center console cig lighter socket...

The hardest decision was, where to mount the mic clip... So I mounted it right next to the vent with the supplied screws...

Installation complete!! The radio sounds and works great, looks good IMHO and has not taken up any additional space (by legs, in center console, etc...)

'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Pretty clean install Chris.
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Nice job!
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
FJCcrawler
Crawler

Looks good, nice job on the install!!

07 FJC
01 4runner
Chris
FJCcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
Teampez

pretty nice, heres a "tip" where ya put the hole in the rubber grommet, for the coax, get some silicone and go crazy, believe me, if you dont, rain water will find it and drain to your carpet, takes awhile but it does. ask me how I know
Unread 07-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teampez View Post
heres a "tip" where ya put the hole in the rubber grommet, for the coax, get some silicone and go crazy,
OK, point taken. I thought about the water problem too. Take care of it tomorrow.

Thanks to all for the kind words on my latest mod. I was surprised that with running the coax, disassembling and reassembling the dash, modifying the radio mounting kit and wiring everything, the job only took me 3.5 hours.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
Unread 07-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

I know a great link for modifying this rig to get 20W peak power, but that would illegal wouldn't it!
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
Pepe.com
Rookie

Nice install, very clean and cheap.

3.5 hours x ???$/h = a lot of free beer.
Unread 07-17-2008, 07:06 AM   #9
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
I know a great link for modifying this rig to get 20W peak power, but that would illegal wouldn't it!
Why... yes... yes it would.
Unread 07-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Photog
Old Timer

Where did you mount the speaker, for the CB?

Edit: I see a couple extra speakers mounted in the cubby door, at the bottom.

As for the water getting in that grommet hole: If the cable travels to a point lower than the hole in the grommet, the water will drip off the cable, instead of following it into the hole. Just make sure the cable is coming "up" to the grommet, in the engine compartment. Use a zip-tie if necessary.

Nice CB install.

Edit: You could bring the antenna cable under the existing bundle, then up through the grommet.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.

Last edited by Photog; 07-17-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
Where did you mount the speaker, for the CB?

Edit: I see a couple extra speakers mounted in the cubby door, at the bottom.

Nice CB install.

Edit: You could bring the antenna cable under the existing bundle, then up through the grommet.
Yeah, the one on the left is my Bluetooth speaker and the other is for the CB.

I'm not sure what you mean by "under the existing bundle, then up through the grommet".
Unread 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
Photog
Old Timer

Your antenna wire is coming through the grommet to the right of the wire bundle. If the path of the wire were to pass under the bundle, from the left, and then up through the grommet on the right, any water running down antenna cable would drip off, at the low point, below the wire bundle.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Aahhh... I see... Grasshoppa has snatched the pebble from the hand and left no footprints in the rice paper. Thank you Kemosabe.