Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > GX470

Unread 05-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
fasterfaster
Rookie

Default Dumb questions about the factory stereo

I'm about to buy a GX470, and before I spend a day fiddling with local (over-priced, high mileage) options just to figure out the stereo, I thought I'd ask... do I want one with factory nav or with the base stereo?

What I want:
- Decently functional bluetooth connection for hands free calling, music source, and phone-based navigation
- A 3.5mm aux input for when friends are in the car and are playing DJ.
- Either decent quality sound or easily replaceable (i.e. I can DIY with Crutchfield's help) speakers

More context:
I do everything from my phone, so really don't want or care about the outdated factory nav, and it seems like there really is no way to upgrade the head unit on the models with nav. So I'm inclined to get the base unit and replace it with a modern double DIN aftermarket one.

However, if the nav unit has decent bluetooth integration (i.e. hands free and music/nav audio input), then I can live with the big useless screen being there. The backup cam is nice, and the ML audio may be nice enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade everything. I'd honestly rather not do the work.

Last edited by fasterfaster; 05-15-2017 at 09:30 PM.
fasterfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
GsleX
Rookie

Factory ML audio will link BT audio and calls from your phone in 2007+ models, calls only with prior years. All ML audio can add aftermarket BT connectivity by eliminating the CD changer, except 2003. 2007+ has USB input, BT module can be had w/3.5mm jack. Beatsonic has a new product that allows your to incorporate a aftermarket head unit into your factory nav stereo to maintain climate controls.
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/mva-81.html
The ML audio is great and the speakers can be rebuilt, screen is useless for NAV but it turns off, and it can play DVD movie if you need to kill time.
GsleX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2017, 11:17 PM   #3
fasterfaster
Rookie

Perfect, that is what I needed to know, thanks! I'm looking at 2007+ (since my credit union will only finance cars 10 years or younger), so sounds like they'll all meet my needs.
Unread 05-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
overland
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsleX View Post
Factory ML audio will link BT audio and calls from your phone in 2007+ models, calls only with prior years. All ML audio can add aftermarket BT connectivity by eliminating the CD changer, except 2003. 2007+ has USB input, BT module can be had w/3.5mm jack. Beatsonic has a new product that allows your to incorporate a aftermarket head unit into your factory nav stereo to maintain climate controls.
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/mva-81.html
The ML audio is great and the speakers can be rebuilt, screen is useless for NAV but it turns off, and it can play DVD movie if you need to kill time.
Wow, this is truly amazing. Is it possible to get an aftermarket unit and use the screen to display stuff from aftermarket unit.

If I get the lexus, and it does BT calls+audio, that is all I would need
overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
GsleX
Rookie

Not sure about using the factory screen as a head unit display, Beatsonic has a few products that allow you to tap into the video input for the DVD player so I wouldn't rule it out.

I have found that adding Bluetooth music capability modernizes the system enough that I don't feel like I am driving a dinosaur. I just turn the nav screen off 90% of the time, the safety disclaimer is annoying.

Good luck.
Unread 06-04-2017, 01:09 AM   #6
overland
Rookie

Yes BT is all we need. And ability to control songs from the console without fiddling with phone. Possible?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Unread 06-06-2017, 06:08 AM   #7
GsleX
Rookie

The Beatsonic BT unit I have allows you to skip forward or backward on playlists/Pandora etc. on our phone using console/steering wheel buttons. Other BT units can show the playlist/song titles on the screen.

Beatsonic should pay me to do all this free promo...
Unread 06-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #8
overland
Rookie

Thanks GsleX
I checked beatsonic products. Looks like I can replace tape deck with a normal stereo system.

However if I do that, will steering wheel phone controls work? What about sound quality. Is there an amp in the car which connects to speakers?
Unread 06-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #9
overland
Rookie

Another question. How about cd changer adapters to get aUX functionality.
Do they work for GX?

Example
https://www.amazon.com/Yomikoo-Inter...aux+adapter+gx
Unread 06-30-2017, 05:46 AM   #10
NMBruce
Rookie

I love my aftermarket Kenwood DNX893s
No nav, lets you add what you want
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #11
fasterfaster
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterfaster View Post
Perfect, that is what I needed to know, thanks! I'm looking at 2007+ (since my credit union will only finance cars 10 years or younger), so sounds like they'll all meet my needs.
Ended up buying an 07 a few weeks back. BT is calls and nav only, no audio. Maybe that is 2008 forward or a mid-year change?

Ordered up a USA SPEC BT45-TOY which is currently $150. Seems like it does everything I need, although I think things may get a little funny as it or I decide which BT connection to use for calls. And I'm still not sure if I need to install the mic, or cn continue to use the factory mic.

Will report back once I get it installed.
Unread 08-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #12
overland
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterfaster View Post
Ended up buying an 07 a few weeks back. BT is calls and nav only, no audio. Maybe that is 2008 forward or a mid-year change?

Ordered up a USA SPEC BT45-TOY which is currently $150. Seems like it does everything I need, although I think things may get a little funny as it or I decide which BT connection to use for calls. And I'm still not sure if I need to install the mic, or cn continue to use the factory mic.

Will report back once I get it installed.
I also tried this route. I connected my phone to OEM BT for voice and Aftermarket BT for music. But somehow calls were silent, with either me not able to hear or other party having problems

So I stopped connecting to BT of the car, and using the TOY exclusively. Works seamlessly.

I also did not use any special cable, just the one which came with the unit. It was 142$ when I purchased it.
Unread 08-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #13
fasterfaster
Rookie

@overland, did you have to use the supplied mic in addition to the factory mic or will the factory mic integrate with the BT45?