Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Outfitting

Unread 01-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
zimm17
Driver

Default How to carry all the crap for week long vacation?

Lived in Hawaii so now being back in the states and having a 6 month and a 2.5 year old kid, I'm facing my first family vacation this summer. Looking at my pack list for a week at he beach, it's obviously not fitting in the back of the truck. Table top BBQ, big cooler, beach chairs, luggage, food, surf board, possibly a beach wagon thing, etc etc etc.

Small enclosed trailer? Tail gate rack? Roof top cargo box or rack? What works best for vacation? It's a log cabin, so not quite camping, but not hotel either.
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post
Lived in Hawaii so now being back in the states and having a 6 month and a 2.5 year old kid, I'm facing my first family vacation this summer. Looking at my pack list for a week at he beach, it's obviously not fitting in the back of the truck. Table top BBQ, big cooler, beach chairs, luggage, food, surf board, possibly a beach wagon thing, etc etc etc.

Small enclosed trailer? Tail gate rack? Roof top cargo box or rack? What works best for vacation? It's a log cabin, so not quite camping, but not hotel either.
The simplest and lowest cost for the volume can be a used Thule or Yakima "coffin" box up on the roof. Craigslist is a good source for them. Rear hitch baskets are okay as Harbor Freight has sales on their aluminum model. After that a roof top basket, then a small trailer are solutions that I've used.
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Ryanmb21
Some Guy

We just had a kid, I'll be adding something like yakima skybox sometime in the future to suck up the large light weight stuff. I also built a storage floor with tie downs that allows me to take advantage of the rear storage area better. I live at the beach, but I'd probably leave the wagon at home
Ryanmb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Do you have a roof rack? I can fit almost as much stuff on my Bajarack as I can in the back. I bought a large, soft zip-up bag that I put all our stuff in that I don't want getting dirty or wet, and the rest just gets strapped down.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 BFG ATs on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
zimm17
Driver

I think roof box will be best. Too much small stuff for open cargo box I think. Beach umbrella, chairs, stroller etc.

Last edited by zimm17; 01-08-2013 at 05:24 PM.
zimm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
tweakeraz
Driver

At least here in AZ, a decent used Thule/Yakima rooftop box with adequate room was running about 300-350 when i was looking just before last summer.

For 275 or less, I was able to get the Rola Rack, Extension, cargo net, and Rola Platypus bag for lightweight things I would like to keep dry.

I really wanted the Thule carrier, but its light load limitations, potential dimension limitations, and use limitations kept us from getting it.

The Rola has a larger footprint overall for more stuff, no height requirements, cheaper, and with the bag too, i have different carrying options...and I wouldn't feel bad about throwing a couple of bundles of wood on it versus the Thule/Yakima box.

Both are easily removable (who doesn't like to save gas when they can). A plus for the carrier box is it is lockable.

Storage of both can be a pain or easy depending on your situation.

Can't think of anything else that might help at the moment.

I have a 3 year old girl and now a 5 month old son. My wife an I were streamlined campers. Kids certainly changed that...for now anyway. As they get older, I am hoping the packing of "crap" gets simpler. Either way, the time spent with them is without a doubt...absolutely worth it.

Good luck with your decision.
08 Limited V8 4wd - Titanium - ICON F/R, ICON UCA's, 1/2" BL, BFG 285/70/17 TA KO on on Method Standard 17 x8.5 wheels, WabFab links, Rear Spacer (Corrected "The Lean"), HID kit, Driver side grab handle, Speedohealer, Rola Rack
Mods coming soon: Who knows... preferably comms of some sort.
tweakeraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
zimm17
Driver

Another good point. Box limits room. Always liked the idea of a rack. Would be fun to try to strap it all down though.
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Thule and Yakima boxes are cheaper out here on Craigslist

Yakima Rocketbox - $175 (Laguna Niguel)
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/3529150362.html

Thule Ascent 1100 Cargo Box - $150
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3517764559.html

I tried just about every variation of cargo stowage except this type. I love my African Outback rack. Holds anything yet weighs only 50 pounds by itself thus leaving more capacity to strap more junk up there compared to steel racks.

PS: in Virginia http://smd.craigslist.org/for/3477503941.html
Thule Adventurer 615 Car Top Cargo Box - $180 (Central Calvert County)
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
Dealmaker
Senior Driver

You will need aftermarket roof racks with a Thule or Yakima-type "coffin" box up top on one side, and on the other side you can rack your quiver. Factory roof rack will be too narrow to put both a coffin box and boards.
'06 4Runner 2WD SE V8, for the boy
Dealmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
zimm17
Driver

Used coffin boxes are a pipe dream here in the DC area. People ask almost new prices for crap on CL around here. I'm not paying $375 for a cracked, 15 year old thule box when a new one is $500..... that one above is cheap, but a few hours away.

Hmmmm.... coffin locker vs baja rack..... I'd like to have a place for the highlift. Wonder how folding beach chairs do strapped in a rack going 70mph?

Last edited by zimm17; 01-09-2013 at 06:52 AM.
zimm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
skjjoe
Rookie

My wife and I travel all over the country for her job and have to take what we need for three months at a time. Including pots and pans dishes . Two flat screens and our clothes tools ect. I use a yakima load warrior with extension and a hitch hauler. It's tight but I can get all of our stuff inside or on the racks.
skjjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
lookin4yota
Driver

I prefer trailers. How about renting or borrowing a luggage trailer or small utility trailer for the week? That would give you a lot more load capacity and make for more convenient loading/unloading. They can be left behind (with lock & chain) at the cabin for 4-wheel excursions. My 2000 lb. loaded teardrop costs about 3 mpg at 70 mph, which I would guess is about the same as a packing it all up top.
-John

'05 SR5 V8 4R:
ICON Stage 1, Shrockworks Sliders, LR UCAs, Kurtfab diff bkt, 32" Michelin AT2s.
lookin4yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
shabaka
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
Do you have a roof rack? I can fit almost as much stuff on my Bajarack as I can in the back. I bought a large, soft zip-up bag that I put all our stuff in that I don't want getting dirty or wet, and the rest just gets strapped down.
Ditto on this...!!!
I purchased a THULE cargo bag... loose odd shaped stuff goes in there
everything else gets strapped to the BajaRack ...throw a bunge net over all of it
and off we go
easy to manage

. . . . . . . . . . . .. .. .. . Yukon 4.88, ARB locker, Truetrac LSD, Camburg UCA, Custom Rear LCA, Energy Suspension
.... .. .... ... ..... ... .. ...Braille dual battery, Bulldog ALPHA 9300, Viking 3/8 rope, Gunnebo hook, BajaRack, Slimlites

.... .. .... ... ..... ... .. ...build & gallery
shabaka is offline   Reply With Quote