Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Off Topic Area > Off Topic Chat

Unread 08-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Default The App Generation??

Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat...

Whats the ramifications of these platforms in comparison to forums and the new generation (Millennial?)?

I have a few observations and concerns and not sure how to write this subjectively and without rambling but here I go...

Observation/Hypothesis
A new generation of offroaders are being "born" who do not use forums because they need
1. To search in forums
2. Be patient in forums
3. Instant answers come in apps
4. Instant gratification comes in apps
5. Bullying is somewhat unmoderated in apps
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Commentary

1. The App Generation has grown up using social media and don't know much about forums. They don't understand the nature of searching for answers

2. The App Generation want answers NOW. They have no patience for waiting several days to get feedback

3. The App Generation really have no way of being sure the information they are receiving is accurate (qualified). A LOT of what they are getting is an opinion, much of which can be dismissed as either outright wrong, non technical, or at best half truth.

4. They are high on instant gratification ("Likes") and thrive on (subjectively) meaningless posts on social media over and over and over...
examples "Front End Friday", "Throw Back Thursday", "Show Me Your Glacier White 5th gen", "What did you do today...", "What's Your Job", "My Boss Yelled At Me Today.."

5. There are a lot of bully behaviors and comments that tend to go unfiltered
example
QUESTION "Can I swap an engine from a 2WD to a 4WD?"
ANSWER "If you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it!"
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!

Last edited by expat; 08-08-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Unread 08-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

DEBRIEF

I'm not sure what this means for forums!

I think

- there is less sense of "comrades" in social apps

- the information sharing process in social apps is highly inaccurate when looking at technical information

- apps don't allow for searching, so good information evaporates quickly

- there is much more interest generally in off-roading at the moment, much like in the hayday of this forum. Probably a function of economics? Because there is a resurgence of sorts, there are a lot more suppliers for bolt on equipment. Just look at how many different rear bumper manufacturers there are now for a 4th and 5th gen market

- "app groups" are sprouting everywhere but it's over populated - as an example just one year ago there were no groups meeting in my area. There are now four "app groups" dedicated to 4Runners in my area and they are all tripping over each other for what I estimate to be about 20 runners in total of all gens, that are willing to wheel to one level or another

- there is certainly a higher profile in the social media apps - people are watching them, receiving notifications, and responding within hours - fits the immediacy of this generation. This is like it use to be on forums I guess. I wonder whether Tapatalk was the attempt to meet this need - conversations via phone instead of at a computer.

WHERE TO????

Can the "forum platform" reinvent itself / be rediscovered by old forum members / be discovered by the social app generation / will forums be "sexy" enough for the social app generation?

I invite your thoughts....

Last edited by expat; 08-08-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Unread 08-09-2018, 07:52 AM   #4
bulldog
Admin

Apps/Social media definitely has the advantage of wider audience and quicker information distribution. There also seems to be a much bigger demand for recognition these days, which makes apps like FB, IG, SC attractive to the new audience with like buttons, instant sharing, etc.

However they are not good for knowledge sharing at all, as you said no real search functionality, nor the ability to group and categorize content to make finding it easier. Also very little to no curation of information to weed out bad/wrong info.

Guess we are all a bit guilty of this behavior, very few people still go to a library or get a book (paper or electronic for info) they seem to just want to Google the answer to the question.

Interesting discussion, will be very interesting to see where it goes.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

I think there is still plenty of interest and value to this platform......maybe just be from older, more wiser people that are tolerant enough to look for the correct answers.......but they're there.
Perhaps a compromise from us to them, could be an App version of this Forum, that's certainly a way to bridge together everything and draw more of the kids into this better, more knowledgeable format.......while still being able to log into their Toy120 App (available in the App Store).
If only we knew of any technical types who could write and develop the App of all Apps!! Maybe us core members can raise some $$ to help with this endeavor. I think there's an app for that too!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2018, 05:57 PM   #6
Ludedude
Super Moderator

:Like:
Ludedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Totally agree about everything said above! It sucks seeing these FB groups (only use FB out of all listed) and all the FNG's (fricken new guys/gals) as the same dang question that's been answered about a bazillion times already. Search, what's that?!? I really do like my forums! It's what I grew up with using and still do and will for as long as they last!
"I'm an AMERICAN by birth and a VETERAN by choice!"
chayos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
Totally agree about everything said above! It sucks seeing these FB groups (only use FB out of all listed) and all the FNG's (fricken new guys/gals) as the same dang question that's been answered about a bazillion times already. Search, what's that?!? I really do like my forums! It's what I grew up with using and still do and will for as long as they last!

LOL - FNG's
Unread 08-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
LOL - FNG's
Yup, FNG's was the term used all the time in the military! LOL It's perfect for lots of applications!
Unread 08-15-2018, 12:10 PM   #10
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
Yup, FNG's was the term used all the time in the military! LOL It's perfect for lots of applications!

Lol!! But, the fricken word is probably best replaced by the other word that starts with an F!!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
Unread 08-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #11
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post
Lol!! But, the fricken word is probably best replaced by the other word that starts with an F!!!
Oh you are one hundred percent correct on that! It's original works is otherwise known as a non PC word.... A bit more four letterish.... LOL
Unread 09-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #12
Darklight
Old Timer

Agreed and plan to sustain the APP gen until it is Judgement day. The forum will always be the go to for real answers and tech info. I am not sure weather or not the next gen of APP folks will inherit the knowledge needed to find the forum or the thirst for real answers in their jelly fish world or digital phasing and phrasing. I do wonder how long the Fad will last though and how bad it will get before said Judgement day happens. But I can assure you guys it is coming

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #13
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

The App environment has also driven (pun not intended) the new off-roader to explore the same fire trails week after week here in SoCal. They don’t go to more technically adventurous places like Big Bear, Jawbone, RedRick, Anza Borrego....

What I’m seeing (is like all the latecomers to forums who constantly went to “off-road” parks) there’s no weekend camping and hanging as a group for the weekend around a campfire...instead it’s bolt-on-as-many-accessories-as-I-can-find (including a million lights and stage 52 suspension kit) and going to Cleghorn (essentially a rutted Fire road), where incidentally a late model truck gets scraped pretty much every week! I can’t believe how many 5th gens have more Overland equipment loaded up and just do day trips on fire roads.

Two quick ancedotes
1. Got told of a gathering of Toyota last weekend to do Miller Jeep Trail. I asked if I could tag along. Got thumbs up. Got meet up location and time. I arrived a half hr before hand expecting everyone to arrive, fueled up and ready to head out by the agreed time. There was no other planning other than location and time. After waiting a half hour, no one. Waited another quarter hr. No one. Drive to trailhead. Waited another quarter hr. No one. Decided to run the trail by myself. Saw no one in the trail the entire time!

2. In above trail did come across two nicely built Jeep Rubicon’s. Full suspension kits, all the Overland kit, rolling on 40’s. To cut a story short, really nice guys but had never been off-roading in a trail like this before and asked me about John Bull which they had never done before either. I agreed to lead them on the trail sometime soon. My point being, highly built rigs -far more than my poor 14Yr old IFS with a stock rear bumper lol, but never been on any real trails.

The apps are showing people what a built truck looks like and they are going full tilt buying all this stuff to get the look but not really wheeling and learning about how much their stock truck can do. And in many cases now, people are destroying these new $45K trucks because they aren’t learning from skilled leaders. They are overbuilding their vehicles but not developing skills commensurate with their builds.

Ugh!
Unread 09-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #14
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

BTW - the Toyota meetup at Miller Jeep Trail...apparently everyone was running late, the earliest person after me was over a half hour late for agreed meeting time and trucks slowly rolled in after that. I took my time waiting, taking photos and videos and breaking for lunch for an hour, and they never caught up.

Lesson learned
1. Never join a social media group run without getting some phone numbers and call signs
2. Don’t trust people to be on time!
Unread 09-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #15
bulldog
Admin

Man, that sucks. I hate flaky people and late comers. Sometimes I have posted times a bit earlier for that reason, but can't recall running into those issues Mark. At least you got to run the trail and see some new people.

I think offroad parks like Hollister is great for meeting new people and getting to know them before weekend trips. Also great to test out a new vehicle and mods. However they tend to get boring after a while.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #16
Dealmaker
Senior Driver

One thing I've noticed about apps is that you getting the influencers who are trying to build a following, most likely to monetize their position. A few photos go up and all the newbies want the coordinates so they can go and stampede a place that has thus far been "worked for" to get to.
Kinda falls to the instant gratification Mark was referring to.
Unread 09-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealmaker View Post
One thing I've noticed about apps is that you getting the influencers who are trying to build a following, most likely to monetize their position. A few photos go up and all the newbies want the coordinates so they can go and stampede a place that has thus far been "worked for" to get to.
Kinda falls to the instant gratification Mark was referring to.

Yep!