Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
TGleason
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: East Lake FL
Posts: 11
Default 6in. Lift

Hey Guys,
Well, I got a 2003 4Runner, and decided I wanted it lifted. But I didn't want the typical 3/2 with 1 in. body lift. So I got a 6 in. Rough Country lift kit, designed for the FJ Cruiser. http://www.roughcountry.com/toyota_4...cruiser_6.html
It went on very easy, and the only thing i don't like about it is to fit the stock tires and wheels i had to grind the knuckle down a little bit, and use 1/4" wheel spacers on the front. I'm not using the sway-bars, but it's the stock coilovers up front, and stiffer rear springs in the rear, so it doesn't sway much at all, even going 60 mph.
I don't know how it'll work for you 4x4 guys, but i have no front differential or axles so i didn't have to worry about that.
Next step is wheels and tires. I'm going with 35's. but my question is what are the best tires, for a daily driver, that might do some offroad, but remember it's a 2wd. And also can 15 inch wheels fit without grinding calipers? I have the limited if that makes a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-01_15-02-27_754.jpg (1.90 MB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-12-01_15-02-05_274[1].jpg (1.81 MB, 214 views)
TGleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Redswan
MojaveMike
 
Redswan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: KC,KS
Posts: 1,115
Default

Looks nice, welcome to t120!
__________________
MojaveMike
'05 4Runner 4x4 URD S/C & Icon goods
'08 Lexus ISF
'90 Celica GT4 RC
Redswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
bulldog
Admin
 
bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 12,287
Default

Do AT type tires for a DD and occasional wheeling. See the suspension and tire section for some recommendations on what others have used.

With a 6" lift a swaybar will be a good idea for a DD. With swerving it will get unnerving without a swaybar on the front.

Stick to 16" wheels (17" for sport) to fit the calipers.
__________________
andries
K9BDG

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy
 
Mikestang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The wild wild west
Posts: 4,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
With a 6" lift a swaybar will be a good idea for a DD. With swerving it will get unnerving without a swaybar on the front.
Especially with the stock front shocks/springs (if I read your mods correctly).
__________________
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
wrestler157
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 48
Default

Looks good just needs tires lol

Not to hi jack your thread but could this be done on a 4wd? If so why not?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
wrestler157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy
 
Mikestang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The wild wild west
Posts: 4,442
Default

It's been discussed many times over the years, the consensus is that it does not offer any real benefits over a traditional suspension lift, and may actually provide less ground clearance in some instances.

Here's one thread, for example, from 2007: http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1792
__________________
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
wrestler157
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 48
Default

Didnt realize it was a bracket lift thought it was a true suspension lift! Sorry lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
wrestler157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
TGleason
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: East Lake FL
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler157 View Post
Not to hi jack your thread but could this be done on a 4wd? If so why not?
It could work on a 4x4 but i think the fj and 4runner have different front differentials which means the diff drop brackets would not fit.
TGleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
shabaka
Senior Driver
 
shabaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
It's been discussed many times over the years, the consensus is that it does not offer any real benefits over a traditional suspension lift, and may actually provide less ground clearance in some instances.

Here's one thread, for example, from 2007: http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGleason View Post
It could work on a 4x4 but i think the fj and 4runner have different front differentials which means the diff drop brackets would not fit.
Yes it would work...
Same front end... (8"-clamshell-Reverse-IFS)
Mike hit it on the head as to why it's not so great for Offroading/4wheeling
__________________

. . . . . . . . . . . .. .. .. . Yukon 4.88, ARB locker, Truetrac LSD, Camburg UCA, Custom Rear LCA, Energy Suspension
.... .. .... ... ..... ... .. ...Braille dual battery, Bulldog ALPHA 9300, Viking 3/8 rope, Gunnebo hook, BajaRack, Slimlites

.... .. .... ... ..... ... .. ...build & gallery
shabaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2015, 10:13 PM   #10
tomcat144d
Driver
 
tomcat144d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Woot
Posts: 231
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGleason View Post
Hey Guys,
Well, I got a 2003 4Runner, and decided I wanted it lifted. But I didn't want the typical 3/2 with 1 in. body lift. So I got a 6 in. Rough Country lift kit, designed for the FJ Cruiser. http://www.roughcountry.com/toyota_4...cruiser_6.html
It went on very easy, and the only thing i don't like about it is to fit the stock tires and wheels i had to grind the knuckle down a little bit, and use 1/4" wheel spacers on the front. I'm not using the sway-bars, but it's the stock coilovers up front, and stiffer rear springs in the rear, so it doesn't sway much at all, even going 60 mph.
I don't know how it'll work for you 4x4 guys, but i have no front differential or axles so i didn't have to worry about that.
Next step is wheels and tires. I'm going with 35's. but my question is what are the best tires, for a daily driver, that might do some offroad, but remember it's a 2wd. And also can 15 inch wheels fit without grinding calipers? I have the limited if that makes a difference.
Looks good to me I been using the cooper ltz 33x12.50x20 with great results good for snow rain and trolling around.
__________________
2005 Toyota 4runner completely stock lol
Build thread
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showt...487#post209487
tomcat144d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #11
Net4n6
Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 380
Default

I didn't know 6" lift is available for the 4runner. Is it only for 2WD or it works with 4WD too? I thought 3" suspension lift is max.
Net4n6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
tomcat144d
Driver
 
tomcat144d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Woot
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net4n6 View Post
I didn't know 6" lift is available for the 4runner. Is it only for 2WD or it works with 4WD too? I thought 3" suspension lift is max.
It works for both 4wd and 2wd you can go higher with 2wd and a rear locker due to no cv's to worry about.
__________________
2005 Toyota 4runner completely stock lol
Build thread
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showt...487#post209487
tomcat144d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2015, 05:28 AM   #13
beerman
Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 62
Default

I think I haven't seen 6" lift kits sold, only 4" ones. What brand is these 6" lifts? Are they OEM?
beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
470SNC
Driver
 
470SNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 153
Default

the 6" kits sold for the FJ Cruiser should work the same
__________________
Sang
2006 GX470 Ash Blue Mica "Blue Steel"
Icon 2.5 extended travel coilovers with resis/All Pro UCAs/Icon 2.5 piggyback rear shocks/Icon 2" coils/MT conversion kit/Rola Rack w extension/Demello Offroad X-Wing sliders/Method Double Standard wheels/285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer ATP/Flowmaster Super 10 muffler/Prado snorkel
470SNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #15
tomcat144d
Driver
 
tomcat144d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Woot
Posts: 231
Talking

The 4runner and the fj cruiser and the gx470 use the 07 to 09 fj lift and are the same except for the air bags mounts that need to modified to accept standard coil springs. Bolts right up the mod is to use a coil spring and a bolt through the air bag plate to prevent the spring from moving really cool
__________________
2005 Toyota 4runner completely stock lol
Build thread
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showt...487#post209487
tomcat144d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #16
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod
 
my034runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 6,475
Default

Sorry, unless your day of off roading means you're cruising the Mall and trying out the speed bumps...........6" serves No, zero, Nada.....purpose!! It's great if you're only trying to look cool, but worthless for anything else!
Stay with a suspension lift......3-4" Max.....You'll be happy you did!
__________________
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #17
tomcat144d
Driver
 
tomcat144d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Woot
Posts: 231
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post
Sorry, unless your day of off roading means you're cruising the Mall and trying out the speed bumps...........6" serves No, zero, Nada.....purpose!! It's great if you're only trying to look cool, but worthless for anything else!
Stay with a suspension lift......3-4" Max.....You'll be happy you did!
Well I'm not really sure who that was for. Just for the record the fj 6 inch lift is a suspension lift if you add the radflo icon or fox 2.5 or others that are out there. By that I mean that your center ground clearance is raised allowing for better rock clearance and badly rutted roads and with a bracket lift as there some times referred to include "rear springs" a component to a suspension lift for the rear new 2.2 shocks to finish the rear off. The front has the brop brackets along with lifted knuckles and a 6 inch spacer which is similar to the ones that are on the 3 inch suspension lift kits. The brop down brackets allows the vehicle to be raised higher and maintaining vehicle geometry keeping it close to stock handling in place. It can in some instances give you a little more sway. In my case I didn't feel anything different in my setup. I also didn't do a body lift and do clear 33's nicely. Icon Radflo make a complete replacement 2.0 2.5 3.0 replacement shock that eliminates the spacer and addes incredible amount of travel in front suspension with those above mentioned shocks about 8 inches more travel 6 more for the spacer and plus or minus 2 inchs for adjustability. Also I don't need upper control arms due to the extended knuckles it places my control arms where they were stock so that there not maxed out. Side note still have all sway bars too I didn't have to remove them. So I guess in the end it depends on your own flavor what tastes good to you may not for some one else. Here it is my opinion and we know what that means so yes its possible to lift a gx470 to 6 to 8 inches and then if needed even add a body lift at 1.5 from brown and and get 9.5 inches more plus 33 or 35 and up to 2.5 more with tires for a total of 12 inches of possible lift. I hope this helps any one looking to doing a gx this way im in the works to doing the above mentioned looking for my gx470 right now stay tuned. ....
__________________
2005 Toyota 4runner completely stock lol
Build thread
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showt...487#post209487
tomcat144d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #18
Wishbone
Senior Driver
 
Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat144d View Post
Well I'm not really sure who that was for. Just for the record the fj 6 inch lift is a suspension lift if you add the radflo icon or fox 2.5 or others that are out there. By that I mean that your center ground clearance is raised allowing for better rock clearance and badly rutted roads and with a bracket lift as there some times referred to include "rear springs" a component to a suspension lift for the rear new 2.2 shocks to finish the rear off. The front has the brop brackets along with lifted knuckles and a 6 inch spacer which is similar to the ones that are on the 3 inch suspension lift kits. The brop down brackets allows the vehicle to be raised higher and maintaining vehicle geometry keeping it close to stock handling in place. It can in some instances give you a little more sway. In my case I didn't feel anything different in my setup. I also didn't do a body lift and do clear 33's nicely. Icon Radflo make a complete replacement 2.0 2.5 3.0 replacement shock that eliminates the spacer and addes incredible amount of travel in front suspension with those above mentioned shocks about 8 inches more travel 6 more for the spacer and plus or minus 2 inchs for adjustability. Also I don't need upper control arms due to the extended knuckles it places my control arms where they were stock so that there not maxed out. Side note still have all sway bars too I didn't have to remove them. So I guess in the end it depends on your own flavor what tastes good to you may not for some one else. Here it is my opinion and we know what that means so yes its possible to lift a gx470 to 6 to 8 inches and then if needed even add a body lift at 1.5 from brown and and get 9.5 inches more plus 33 or 35 and up to 2.5 more with tires for a total of 12 inches of possible lift. I hope this helps any one looking to doing a gx this way im in the works to doing the above mentioned looking for my gx470 right now stay tuned. ....
You aren't adding any more travel, especially with the stock arms.
__________________
04 V6 SR5 King/Dirt King

Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #19
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod
 
my034runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 6,475
Default

Anyway, I'll stick with 3" and not have any issues. I've wheeled with a couple of guys out here with that insanely BAD ProComp 6" crap, and they could Not handle what I was doing with ease.....one guy nearly flopped on an easy obstacle, and literally sai dhe about crapped his pants!!!
He swore he was going to change it........Whoa there.......the bad thing was, he had to cut out a Big ass section of his subframe, so he was screwed!!!
But, like you said (maybe you said?) lol.....different things for different people!
But here in Las Vegas, the only good a 6" lift does, is make you look cool.....or goofy.....at the mall!
__________________
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #20
tomcat144d
Driver
 
tomcat144d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Woot
Posts: 231
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post
Anyway, I'll stick with 3" and not have any issues. I've wheeled with a couple of guys out here with that insanely BAD ProComp 6" crap, and they could Not handle what I was doing with ease.....one guy nearly flopped on an easy obstacle, and literally sai dhe about crapped his pants!!!
He swore he was going to change it........Whoa there.......the bad thing was, he had to cut out a Big ass section of his subframe, so he was screwed!!!
But, like you said (maybe you said?) lol.....different things for different people!
But here in Las Vegas, the only good a 6" lift does, is make you look cool.....or goofy.....at the mall!
First and fore most I respect all of my 4tr guys her on this site and others im not saying what you have is wrong in any way you have a nice truck and it does what you need importantly with that said procomp doesn't sell that lift any more I just checked I'm glade that you brought that up saved others from that mistake. One of the reasons I went rough country is they don't cut any frame mounts or cross members so that it can be restored to factory if you like cool in opinion. This information isn't to say one ways bad or wrong I'm just letting people know its option if they like right. That's all... no reason to get mad bro its not bout me and you. Its the thread rough country 6 inch lift not 3 inch lift lol lastly procomp isn't rough country check out there web page first before you give false or misleading info. Opinions aren't great if there not based completely on proven facts. You should start a thread stating Procomp's 07 fj 6 inch lift and what you've discovered by wheeling with your friend and state those facts so people understand that lift may have issues. I think thats it enjoy joy your truck looks cool to me bro..
__________________
2005 Toyota 4runner completely stock lol
Build thread
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showt...487#post209487
tomcat144d is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
4runner, 6 inch lift, rough country

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension Recommendation MoabChris Suspension and Tires 13 03-05-2012 07:40 PM
Cornfed lift ordered from Burtman Industries but measurements seem off... EEtM33t Suspension and Tires 14 07-02-2009 03:34 PM
Installed lift kit 3" and body lift for Toyota Hilux (pics) duffman Suspension and Tires 8 05-06-2009 07:18 AM
Pro-Comp 5.5" lift expat Suspension and Tires 34 10-26-2007 01:50 PM
4th Gen. Lift options AlexJet Suspension and Tires 26 04-14-2006 12:12 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2013 Toyota120.com