Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Offroad Tech and Tips > Offroad Tech

Unread 04-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
Wanderer
Driver

Default TrueTrac first impressions

I recently had an Eaton TrueTrac 913A610 rear differential carrier installed. Yesterday it got its first real workout on 50 miles of powerline and logging roads, with a little snow, mud, and plenty of loose rock and gravel. I did not air down (40 psi) to add a little challenge. Here are my impressions.

I chose to stay in 2WD for most of this drive and I found that it worked pretty well. I was able to make climbs I would not have previously been able to make in 2WD. The traction indicator still went off but unlike before I kept moving forward most of the time. On a mostly flat but muddy, rutted and bumpy area I was able to glide through with a light foot on the accelerator without the traction light going off, when I previously would have expected to need either a bit of momentum or 4WD.

I still needed 4WD about a half dozen times, including two steep and loose hills, a patch of thick mud, and making a k-turn in slushy snow. The truck felt more sold than ever when in 4WD. I think I might have made it through the mud and snow without 4WD if I had a VSC bypass switch, as I think the biggest difference there may have been the ability clear the tires after locking the center differential.

On the road I have not noticed any bad behavior, but I have noticed improved traction when pulling into traffic, especially in the rain or with sand or gravel on the road. It really is a nice improvement.

I have never driven a vehicle with a locking (rear) differential but it is still clear that the TrueTrac is not a locker. On an earlier day I drove the front end up a gravel pile which tipped most of the weight onto one rear tire that was still on pavement, and I was unable to use left foot braking to transfer enough torque to this wheel to make it spin. Switching from 2HI into 4LO I was able to continue to climb the pile but quickly backed off as the truck was really tipped at that point. I know significant drive came from the front tires but I think the A-TRAC in 4LO was also more effective at transferring torque than my left foot braking. I look forward to further testing.

I think I made the right choice for my use. I really like the fact that the LSD is always active and that simply pulling into traffic in 2WD I am far more confident now. A LSD with an integrated selectable locker would be ideal IMO, but one is not made for our rear axle AFAIK, and after two weeks with the TrueTrac I would be hesitant to give up the LSD in favor of a selectable locker. I can still consider an Air Locker for the front if I am unsatisfied with my existing configuration on more extreme terrain and I don't think that combination (ARB front / TrueTrac rear) would let me down on anything I have any business taking this "daily driver" on.
Attached Images
File Type: gif track elevation.gif (28.4 KB, 26 views)
RCI skid plates; OPOR lower links, rock sliders, and link guards
SuperBump™ bumpstops front; Timbren Active Offroad rear

Last edited by Wanderer; 04-06-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
Greydog
Rookie

Thanks for posting this, I have been considering a True Trac as well.
Greydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #3
sport_truck
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I recently had an Eaton TrueTrac 913A610 rear differential carrier installed. Yesterday it got its first real workout on 50 miles of powerline and logging roads, with a little snow, mud, and plenty of loose rock and gravel. I did not air down (40 psi) to add a little challenge. Here are my impressions.

I chose to stay in 2WD for most of this drive and I found that it worked pretty well. I was able to make climbs I would not have previously been able to make in 2WD. The traction indicator still went off but unlike before I kept moving forward most of the time. On a mostly flat but muddy, rutted and bumpy area I was able to glide through with a light foot on the accelerator without the traction light going off, when I previously would have expected to need either a bit of momentum or 4WD.

I still needed 4WD about a half dozen times, including two steep and loose hills, a patch of thick mud, and making a k-turn in slushy snow. The truck felt more sold than ever when in 4WD. I think I might have made it through the mud and snow without 4WD if I had a VSC bypass switch, as I think the biggest difference there may have been the ability clear the tires after locking the center differential.

On the road I have not noticed any bad behavior, but I have noticed improved traction when pulling into traffic, especially in the rain or with sand or gravel on the road. It really is a nice improvement.

I have never driven a vehicle with a locking (rear) differential but it is still clear that the TrueTrac is not a locker. On an earlier day I drove the front end up a gravel pile which tipped most of the weight onto one rear tire that was still on pavement, and I was unable to use left foot braking to transfer enough torque to this wheel to make it spin. Switching from 2HI into 4LO I was able to continue to climb the pile but quickly backed off as the truck was really tipped at that point. I know significant drive came from the front tires but I think the A-TRAC in 4LO was also more effective at transferring torque than my left foot braking. I look forward to further testing.

I think I made the right choice for my use. I really like the fact that the LSD is always active and that simply pulling into traffic in 2WD I am far more confident now. A LSD with an integrated selectable locker would be ideal IMO, but one is not made for our rear axle AFAIK, and after two weeks with the TrueTrac I would be hesitant to give up the LSD in favor of a selectable locker. I can still consider an Air Locker for the front if I am unsatisfied with my existing configuration on more extreme terrain and I don't think that combination (ARB front / TrueTrac rear) would let me down on anything I have any business taking this "daily driver" on.
Any updates?, I'm also looking at a true trac as an option for the rear.
285/70R17 Dynapros AT
Energy Suspension Bushings all around
sport_truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Wanderer
Driver

Nothing extraordinary to report yet. I continue to be happy with it.

It worked nicely through the winter helping me go places I could not have before, in combination with larger tires. (See below.)

I still haven't found out to what degree it can take the place of a locker when really pushed but I should be giving it a serious test in a few weeks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 649.jpg (746.4 KB, 24 views)
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
differential, report