Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Meet, Trail Runs, Expeditions and Land Use > Meeting, Trail run and Expedition reporting

Unread 04-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Thumbs up 12th Annual NVTTORA Easter Mojave Road Trip!!

Wow!!! Well........everyone made it home, most of the trucks in one piece........one not so much........

Started nicely Friday morning, got on the road a little late, but really not too much. I had to do some last minute trip planning.......I decided, with us having to take the 14.2 mile bypass detour for Paiute mountain........we bypassed Fort Paiute, and the Mojave Road leading up to it.
We took Old Government Road (way faster btw!!!) and cut over towards the bypass detour. But with the changes......even taking this long detour, we were will up and over into the Lanfair valley in great shape time wise.........so we got take two other side trips.......the Lanfair Petroglyphs, and the OX Ranch......which I've never taken anyone on this trip to before!! Ended up at Cock Rock (Friday campsite) right at 5:00 pm!! Amazing!!! Great night of great food, a bunch of whiskey, margaritas, and a beautiful night!!

NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Saturday..............quite a story..........but I'll have to get to it later, I need to sell a car now and pay for this trip!!!

We all woke up to a beautiful peaceful Saturday morning at Cock Rock in Caruthers Canyon! We do our thing, have breakfast and wait for me to finish re-packing my over-packing.............
Some Heep people came up and paid us a visit before they head up to the upper canyon. We get on our way......make a couple scenic/historical stops......Head down the Steep and really hugely rutted out entrance to Watsons Wash and into Camp Rock Springs.
Head up to the Carl Fabors Rock House up on the hill, let everyone get out, use the restroom, check out the house, then on our way to Government Holes.
After giving a little history lesson on the area, we head back down to Cedar Canyon road.

So, seeing that I have a new guy on the trip, and John and Adam have never been here before, I decide that we're going over to the Foshay Pass and that Million dollar view on both sides, and drop down to Kelso Dunes.

So we hit the intersection of Black Canyon road and Cedar Canyon Road.........where there was a group of first time Mojave Road travelers blocking the damn road. I talk to them for a couple of minutes and another couple of vehicles hop in front of us going up Black Canyon Road........I let them get a head of me, so I'm not riding there asses.
Normally, I would be traveling quite a bit faster up this road than we were going, do to the group in front of us. We pass the turn off to Mid-Hill Campground, on our way to the Hole in the Wall Campground to off load out shlt and trash and have lunch............THEN.....The Unthinkable happened!!! I hear Jeffy yell into the radio that something happened.......and that Adam had Just ROLLED his 3rd Gen 4Runner!!!!!

Oh Shlt!!!!! I make a quick U turn and rush back..........and sure as shlt, he had come to rest on his drivers side.....and the passenger side pointing Up!!!
We get around to the roof line, and Wow!!! Adam Popped his head up out of the passenger side window, just like the groundhog or gopher!!!!! So........we all, and especially his dad John, all breath a big sigh of relief that he appears to be fine.....but his 4Runner is Not!!

We winch it back onto it's tires with Jeffys new winch (Nice first break in use!!)......and work on a quick recovery mission, as we obviously, are now the ones blocking traffic!!! There is No cell reception where we are.........but someone eventually called the RANGERS.......I actually knew one of them, so that was cool. We had already at this point, developed a plan to tow Adams totaled out 4Runner down to the Hole in the Wall ranger station.....and had everything hooked up, car turned around facing the right direction.......and Then the Rangers came!! They again, totally cool people, always there to help out everyone in the Mojave National Preserve!!!

But, they do have to check Adam out, make sure there's no concussions, and that he's not seriously injured......and they do have to take a report. Guess he wasn't paying attention and got his passenger side front tire into the dirt berm from the recent clearing of the flooded road and apparently overcorrected and that was that.

So, we get to the ranger station, park the truck......and John FINALLY broke out his famous Chocolate Moose and freshly made whipped cream.....and we enjoyed that before we all head back out, John and Adam home to regroup and bring out a flat bed trailer to tow it home, and Jeffy and I to continue on our journey.

No time for the Foshay Pass now, so we head up Wildhorse Canyon Road to Macedonia Canyon Road and haul ass down to the other side of the mountains, and eventually to the Beale Mountain campsite, where we ran into that group of first timers......make a huge dinner, make huge bon fires, and drink for the rest of the night.....with me getting up to take a bunch of night photos...............and That was our Saturday!!!!!!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...

Last edited by my034runner; 04-21-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Unread 04-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Sunday............

After a quiet Saturday night, we got up after the heep club left............got stuff broke down and packed, Jeffy made us a good breakfast with his pulled pork and eggs, and we had some of the turkey sausage I brought too........and Sasha had whatever was left mixed with her dog food.

We headed out of Beale Mountain camp site, and up to the Mojave Mail Box where we bumped into a couple more Mojave Road newbies in an f150 and a 4x2 Colorado z71.
I invited them to follow us to the end if they wanted......we had them tag along up to the Aikens Cinder Mine and into the back road up to the Lava Tubes, where I had Jeffy and the other four people go check it out while I stayed with Sasha.
Then.....once we got back on the Mojave Road.......they wanted to try it on their own (they couldn't keep up with us at all, I kept having to wait for the f150 to catch up) and we left them behind with their gps.

We made pretty good time jamming though that section upwards of 60 + mph and waited for about 10 minutes at the Kelbaker road intersection for the other guys before continuing on.

With only two trucks left......we got to spend a little extra time screwing around in the sand dunes before making the last push into Afton Canyon.

Stopped at the famous Afton Canyon bridge for the obligatory Bridge photo's (no train though) and into the Canyon. Showed Jeffy some cool stuff up there, went up to the Caves..........and towards the end. Finally found quite a bit of water in the river (Stream) to have a lot of fun it.......and to the water crossings, and the big one was really really deep!!! Onto the Afton Canyon campground to dump trash, shlt and air up. Seeing that Jeffy had a bit longer of a drive than I did............I offered some Easter ham to eat, but he didn't have time and I guess didn't really need any air, as he was only at 25 psi........whereas I was 12-15 psi! Lol!

We said our goodbyes, and I told him how to get back to the freeway.....and I hung out and got ready without having to worry about how long it took me to get home, took a stop at the Carls Jr in Baker, as I didn't feel like getting to the fridge for ham and leftovers either!! And, as I always to on the way home from the Mojave.........I stopped at Cima Road, re-entered the Preserve for about 20 minutes, so I and Sasha could pee and went home!

The End!!!!!

Hopefully, if I can get home early enough from work one night......maybe I can start downloading pictures!!

Last edited by my034runner; 04-19-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Unread 04-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Many pictures to come, but here's this for now

Last edited by Jeffy; 04-17-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Sweet!!!!!!!

I finished Saturdays report as you can see............you all feel free to add your own thoughts as well!
Unread 04-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
t-rex grrr
Is that a scratch!?

Oh man, glad to hear that Adam came out unscathed!
t-rex grrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex grrr View Post
Oh man, glad to hear that Adam came out unscathed!
He did, but not the 3rd gen. I don't think that'll buff out:

Unread 04-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Probably not, it would take one hell of a detailer!!!
Unread 04-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Wanderer
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
He did, but not the 3rd gen. I don't think that'll buff out:
That I might learn from the mistakes of others rather than my own how exactly did that happen? The sides of the road don't seem very high in that photo; was riding up on one of those berms enough to flip it? Or did it hit something higher farther back and only end up in the flatter section of road?
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #10
bulldog
Admin

Bummer about Adam, glad no one got hurt. Kurt had his 3rd gen on it's side too and he is still using it very nicely!!

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
That I might learn from the mistakes of others rather than my own how exactly did that happen? The sides of the road don't seem very high in that photo; was riding up on one of those berms enough to flip it? Or did it hit something higher farther back and only end up in the flatter section of road?
I only saw the aftermath.......which is the pic of it on it's side, but Jeffy said he saw it unfold in his rear view mirror. Evidently, he drifted into the berm and over corrected and went for a tumble!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Bummer about Adam, glad no one got hurt. Kurt had his 3rd gen on it's side too and he is still using it very nicely!!
Kurt's truck probably wasn't as bad as this one.........if it were drivable, I would kicked out the front windshield and continued on.......but it wasn't and he didn't.
But in the end, he went home with only a few cuts and scratches.......but at least he went home!
Unread 04-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post
Sunday............

After a quiet Saturday night, we got up after the heep club left............got stuff broke down and packed, Jeffy made us a good breakfast with his pulled pork and eggs, and we had some of the turkey sausage I brought too........and Sasha had whatever was left mixed with her dog food.

We headed out of Beale Mountain camp site, and up to the Mojave Mail Box where we bumped into a couple more Mojave Road newbies in an f150 and a 4x2 Colorado z71.
I invited them to follow us to the end if they wanted......we had them tag along up to the Aikens Cinder Mine and into the back road up to the Lava Tubes, where I had Jeffy and the other four people go check it out while I stayed with Sasha.
Then.....once we got back on the Mojave Road.......they wanted to try it on their own (they couldn't keep up with us at all, I kept having to wait for the f150 to catch up) and we left them behind with their gps.

We made pretty good time jamming though that section upwards of 60 + mph and waited for about 10 minutes at the Kelbaker road intersection for the other guys before continuing on.

With only two trucks left......we got to spend a little extra time screwing around in the sand dunes before making the last push into Afton Canyon.

Stopped at the famous Afton Canyon bridge for the obligatory Bridge photo's (no train though) and into the Canyon. Showed Jeffy some cool stuff up there, went up to the Caves..........and towards the end. Finally found quite a bit of water in the river (Stream) to have a lot of fun it.......and to the water crossings, and the big one was really really deep!!! Onto the Afton Canyon campground to dump trash, shlt and air up. Seeing that Jeffy had a bit longer of a drive than I did............I offered some Easter ham to eat, but he didn't have time and I guess didn't really need any air, as he was only at 25 psi........whereas I was 12-15 psi! Lol!

We said our goodbyes, and I told him how to get back to the freeway.....and I hung out and got ready without having to worry about how long it took me to get home, took a stop at the Carls Jr in Baker, as I didn't feel like getting to the fridge for ham and leftovers either!! And, as I always to on the way home from the Mojave.........I stopped at Cima Road, re-entered the Preserve for about 20 minutes, so I and Sasha could pee and went home!

The End!!!!!

Hopefully, if I can get home early enough from work one night......maybe I can start downloading pictures!!
Unread 04-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #13
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Oh crap. Hey John, please tell Adam I glad he's ok. Don't know what help I can be but if there's something you need, shout out.

BTW - I saw a 04 4R stock for $3800 the other day. Salvage title but all professionally repaired ( was only plastic damage!).
04 V8 SE, RST Twin stick conversion, RST Tacoma Front Axle conversion, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 remote resi coilovers and Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB and 2m/70cm Ham, Sat. Radio, CO2 system, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, Front Runner RTT.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #14
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I think it was caused mostly by trying to have a little too much fun and overcorrecting once that started going bad. When he started to get caught up in the berm he overcorrected to compensate which quickly turned the vehicle completely sideways while still traveling forward down the road at about 45mph. Momentum carried the top of the car over the center of gravity and Adam went for a ride.

This shouldn't happen in normal driving, especially when trying to be safe, but as always make smaller corrections to compensate, overcorrecting leads to bad situations.
Unread 04-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #15
bulldog
Admin

Default 12th Annual NVTTORA Easter Mojave Road Trip!!

Just glad he is OK.
Things can get ugly very quick on dirt roads.

Now time for some more pix guys!!!

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2017, 01:24 AM   #16
Wanderer
Driver

Thank you, I can see how that would happen now.

Adam, sorry for your woes, and please pardon my curiosity.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #17
05sport4x4
Driver

Hey Robert,
Nice write up. Thanks for the trip it was fun as usual until it got a little too exciting for someone. I was 10-15 seconds behind the group to stay of of the dust cloud. Thanks to both you and Jeffy for getting the truck down to the visitors center. We picked up a U-Hall trailer Sunday morning and 13 hours later we were final back home.
I have a few photos i can add later but the camera I was using is treble.

05 4Runner Sport V6 - Goodyear SA 275/70/17, Donahoe Adj C/O', Custom rear colis, Hanna sliders
89 Extra Cab 4x4 Pickup, 22re, 31x10.5 w/4.56's & ARB in rear
05sport4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #18
05sport4x4
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Oh crap. Hey John, please tell Adam I glad he's ok. Don't know what help I can be but if there's something you need, shout out.

BTW - I saw a 04 4R stock for $3800 the other day. Salvage title but all professionally repaired ( was only plastic damage!).
Thanks Mark. I think he plans to be out of the 4wd Toyota truck scene for the foreseeable future.

05 4Runner Sport V6 - Goodyear SA 275/70/17, Donahoe Adj C/O', Custom rear colis, Hanna sliders
Unread 04-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #19
05sport4x4
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Yes it is too bad but at least no injuries just still sore. As I recall Kurt's truck barely received any damage (slow roll pulling a trailer I think). Adam only has 2 good panels remaining, the tailgate and the drivers rear door.

Unread 04-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #20
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05sport4x4 View Post
Yes it is too bad but at least no injuries just still sore. As I recall Kurt's truck barely received any damage (slow roll pulling a trailer I think). Adam only has 2 good panels remaining, the tailgate and the drivers rear door.
Glad he's still ok! Hope you're all figuring out the insurance and everything without too much trouble.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon, been slacking off too much. I know Robert got some great shots also