Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 07-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
JohnD
Senior Driver

Thumbs up Nice Battery Isolator!!

found this Looks pretty sweet! ANyone have any thoughts on these?? I planning on ordering one. or not...

http://www.4x4store.com.au/Piranha-D...pr-101106.html

the last component for my dual battery setup.

peace
Unread 07-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

looks very fancy and very expensive. Personally I think this is fine:

SurePower

Buy it here

Take the money you save and buy something that is more fun than a battery isolator.
Donahoes, OME 895/N142S, Conferr Rack, Hanna Sliders, Cobra 75WX CB, ARB Air, Dual Batts (24v/12v), Shrockworks Bumper, PIAA 510s & 520s, Rear Floodlights, Oil Filter Relo & Fumoto Valve, BumBuilt Skids, ATG620 Laptop & Docking Station, Kenwood D710A w/ APRS, GPS60, MM 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch, Capstan Winch, Power Steering Cooler & Filter, 1/2" RogerBrown Bodylift
Ed-KE7MWY
Vegas Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
bulldog
Admin

SOme of the fncy systems require you to monkey with the alternator wiring and main wiring harnass. A simple system that just attaches to the main wiring is much better and simpler. Taht way if it fails you tend to eb fine with the main wiriing.

Besides a solenoid system with the right management electronics has all the functionality most folks would need.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
found this Looks pretty sweet! ANyone have any thoughts on these?? I planning on ordering one. or not...

http://www.4x4store.com.au/Piranha-D...pr-101106.html

the last component for my dual battery setup.

peace

Wow! $410???

That would buy a 200 Amp solenoid, Optima or Odyssey deep cycle battery, battery tray, wires and switches, maybe with some change left over.

Search through the forum and look at how some of us built our systems.
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
JohnD
Senior Driver

Dam it pays to have friends, woot thanks fellas.... ok so thats overkill rgr.

for 410 though you get all hardware & a battery monitor thingy!LOL

Last edited by JohnD; 07-13-2007 at 10:08 AM.
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

That's an Australian 4x4 store. So, Mark, what is $410 in OZ money equate to in US dollars?

I don't know what the exchange rate is.
Or, do they advertise in the US and show in US $$$??
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 12:31 AM   #7
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post
That's an Australian 4x4 store. So, Mark, what is $410 in OZ money equate to in US dollars?

AUS$360 approx
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #8
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
AUS$360 approx

Thanks..... So, it's still expensive!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

Just thought I'd add this, I'm sure most of you have already seen his stuff.

http://www.12voltguy.com/dualbattkit.htm

Solid Axle Conversion
Crozhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
JohnD
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Runner View Post
looks very fancy and very expensive. Personally I think this is fine:

SurePower

Buy it here

Take the money you save and buy something that is more fun than a battery isolator.

Have you installed this? if so I need some advice on the automatic install version(no light). Can I go directly to Starter wire(starter basically)or thru the main lead out of main battery.Closes to fuse box>. thanks for any help..

peace
Unread 07-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
Have you installed this? if so I need some advice on the automatic install version(no light). Can I go directly to Starter wire(starter basically)or thru the main lead out of main battery.Closes to fuse box>. thanks for any help..

peace
I have installed this, however my installation was very complicated because I put in a bunch of other goodies like a 24volt system, an amperage meter, etc. see the link below:
my dual battery system writeup
I would reccomend not focusing to much on my installation as it will only serve to confuse you. Instead focus on the PDF instruction set for the sure power isolator

Regarding your second question. I assume you are referring to step 8 in the instructions PDF. If you are then you have two choices:
1.) Manual operation - connect the brown wire to the battery and put a switch in thie circuit so you can "force" the batteries is parallel whenever you want.

2.) Automatic operation - connect the brown wire to your ignition "start position" so your batteries are always "forced" into parallel when you start you car. You may be able to go to the "starter cable" as you suggest. I do not see a problem with that but, I am not an expert and there may be a reason they instruct you to go to the "start postion" ignition wire. (e.g. there may be a delay between going to the "start" position of the ignition that would allow the 2nd battery to come on line (relay to close) befor the starter starts cranking) dunno.
----

NOTE 1: the blue wire is for the indicator light, and can be used or not used and it will come on when the batteries are "forced" in parallel under either "manual operation" or "automatic operation" described above. I did not enable this on my set up.

NOTE 2: I hooked mine up for "Manual operation" because I used a deep cell battery for my second battery and do not want to subject it to the high current draw loads of starting a car except in an emergency "jump start" situation.

NOTE 3: I also reccomend that you re-read the sure power instruction PDF until you really understand what is happening. It will give you more confidence and gratification when you go to hook up the system.

NOTE 4: It is an easy install.
Donahoes, OME 895/N142S, Conferr Rack, Hanna Sliders, Cobra 75WX CB, ARB Air, Dual Batts (24v/12v), Shrockworks Bumper, PIAA 510s & 520s, Rear Floodlights, Oil Filter Relo & Fumoto Valve, BumBuilt Skids, ATG620 Laptop & Docking Station, Kenwood D710A w/ APRS, GPS60, MM 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch, Capstan Winch, Power Steering Cooler & Filter, 1/2" RogerBrown Bodylift
Ed-KE7MWY

Last edited by Vegas Runner; 07-28-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Unread 07-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #12
JohnD
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Runner View Post
I have installed this, however my installation was very complicated because I put in a bunch of other goodies like a 24volt system, an amperage meter, etc. see the link below:
my dual battery system writeup
I would reccomend not focusing to much on my installation as it will only serve to confuse you. Instead focus on the PDF instruction set for the sure power isolator

Regarding your second question. I assume you are referring to step 8 in the instructions PDF. If you are then you have two choices:
1.) Manual operation - connect the brown wire to the battery and put a switch in thie circuit so you can "force" the batteries is parallel whenever you want.

2.) Automatic operation - connect the brown wire to your ignition "start position" so your batteries are always "forced" into parallel when you start you car. You may be able to go to the "starter cable" as you suggest. I do not see a problem with that but, I am not an expert and there may be a reason they instruct you to go to the "start postion" ignition wire. (e.g. there may be a delay between going to the "start" position of the ignition that would allow the 2nd battery to come on line (relay to close) befor the starter starts cranking) dunno.
----

NOTE 1: the blue wire is for the indicator light, and can be used or not used and it will come on when the batteries are "forced" in parallel under either "manual operation" or "automatic operation" described above. I did not enable this on my set up.

NOTE 2: I hooked mine up for "Manual operation" because I used a deep cell battery for my second battery and do not want to subject it to the high current draw loads of starting a car except in an emergency "jump start" situation.

NOTE 3: I also reccomend that you re-read the sure power instruction PDF until you really understand what is happening. It will give you more confidence and gratification when you go to hook up the system.

NOTE 4: It is an easy install.

You are the MAN! exactly what I needed to hear. Im running a deep cycle as well so note 2 has answerd all my questions! LOL. that little boost yep..

Oh cool set-up by the way..

peace
Unread 07-29-2007, 07:18 AM   #13
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

Vegas, I used one of these in my boat, is it the same type (function) of isolator you used?

Solid Axle Conversion
Unread 07-29-2007, 09:24 AM   #14
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

I do not understand your question.
Ed-KE7MWY
Unread 07-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #15
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

Sorry, I forgot to add the link:

http://www.stingerelectronics.com/pr....asp?strID=340

I have one of these and wanted to know if you thought it was a good option or if I should look for something else. I just want to add another battery, primarily for the winch

Solid Axle Conversion
Unread 07-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #16
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozhawk View Post
Sorry, I forgot to add the link:

http://www.stingerelectronics.com/pr....asp?strID=340

I have one of these and wanted to know if you thought it was a good option or if I should look for something else. I just want to add another battery, primarily for the winch

That will work.

The difference between the stinger and sure power is the stinger is just a big relay that is activated with your ignition pulling your batteries into parallel, the sure power has some circuitry with logic to only bring the second battery into parallel only when the primary battery reaches 13.2 v (when it is charging) and drops the second battery off when the voltage drops below 12.4 v. This serves to protect the primary battery.

I prefer the sure power for this reason but the stinger will work
Ed-KE7MWY
Unread 07-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #17
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

The price of the sure power seems reasonable, is it difficult to wire it so I could play my stereo with the engine off and save the start battery. I was a little leary of trying this but it would be nice to have it set up that way. My amps are big and I get a pretty could current draw from them. I have actually drained my battery once beyond having starting power.

Solid Axle Conversion
Unread 07-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #18
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Wiring your stereo to run off your aux battery is independent of the type of battery seperator you choose. All you need to do is use you aux battery as the power source for your stereo. Be sure that you fuse it is appropriate.
Ed-KE7MWY
Unread 07-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #19
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

sorry if this is a stupid question, but I need to run it as the 12v const. and switched for the headunit and amps right?

Solid Axle Conversion
Unread 07-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #20
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozhawk View Post
sorry if this is a stupid question, but I need to run it as the 12v const. and switched for the headunit and amps right?
I cannot answer the specifics of your question. I have no experience wiring stereos, amps, etc.
Ed-KE7MWY