Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 09-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Ryanmb21
Some Guy

Default Mount! Mount! Let it all out!

What's up guys!

I just got a new Garmin 60csx with topo and city's and I'm SO excited. Now I've got to find a place to mount this thing.

So for those of with GPS, where did you put it? what kind of mount are you using and how do you like it? I plan on hard wiring it eventually, so that might factor into where I put it.

So far I like this mount a lot:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...installed.html

I searched and found various pics but I wanted to get some new ideas as well. I look forward to the pics and thoughts.

Thanks
ryan
Ryanmb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
bulldog
Admin

I mounted mine with a Ram mount in the center. See
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showt...ighlight=mount

Allows maximum visibility (easy to reach while driving) and also antenna coverage, not sure how well the side mount would work in a 4Runner.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

I'm sure my mount is posted in a thread somewhere on the site. Also my gallery has photos of mine. I like that mount from your link (fjcruiser).
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
Tucson T4R
Driver

I mounted my 76CSx on my dash, in the center, with the garmin dash mount.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=639

I like having it up closer to eye level. The center mount also gives the passenger a good view if they are helping navigate.

I tried the temp adhesive disk but ended up using the permanent adhesive disk since I plan to keep this 4Runner for several years.

I like the mount because it lets you clip in or remove the GPS easily.

2004 V8 Sport
OME Suspension Lift
Springs: OME 886/895
Shocks: OME N140S/N142S
1/2" 4Crawler Body Lift
265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT/KO
Dual batteries
Shrockworks Bumper and Sliders
Ramsey 9500 Synthetic Wireless Winch
Tucson T4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
Photog
Old Timer

I don't know if your GPS unit can be used on its side, instead of verticle.
Here is my Garmin GPS V, mounted on the steering column.

2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Ryanmb21
Some Guy

Talking New mounting location!

As I noted before, I was inspired by this install: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...installed.html
but I didn't want to drill a hole that big into my dash so I changed it up a bit. Here is what I did.

1. Ordered a ram mount from www.e-mount.com, i described to her what I wanted and she recommended the perfect set-up. It's much like the one noted in the above the thread but the base mounting ball attaches to a "head-less" bolt rather a flat plate.

2. Drilled a small hole in my dash, and fed the bolt through. Just enough to fill the ball

3. put a wood plate on the back, with a hole drilled in it:

ooops a bit long, so I cut the bolt:

(also shave some of the top of the wood block off, not pictured but make room for the dash piece to clip)

4. Tightened the nut/washer on the back, tighten the washer and ball the front and presto......you're stylin

I've tested it out and I'm very happy, very little if any shaking/bouncing and it looks great. Low key and very easy to see. PS - the Garmin 60csx is awesome, it works great.
:
Unread 10-25-2007, 05:52 AM   #7
07 Elephant

Very clean. Good job. I have the same garmin...it's great for geo caching and hiking.

Sweet....

How much movement do you get for the conditions you've driven and what do you think it would do on a washboard dirt road? Any changes to the setup your already thinking about?

-Rob
Unread 10-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Photog
Old Timer

That is a sweet set up. That could be done almost anywhere on the dash.

EXCELLENT! Nice job.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Unread 11-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
Photog
Old Timer

Does it make your dash panel flex?

I noticed it is close to one of the clips that holds the dash in. Does this clip help satbilize the mount? Or: does the mount cause the clip to pop out?

This looks really slick. I'm thinking of doing something like that over near the stereo.

Unread 11-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
Ryanmb21
Some Guy

the mount does not noticeably shake. It has been very sturdy, of the course the washers on both sides are important.

One concern that I had: obviously, the ball tightens by turning clockwise and in the location I chose, the mount attaches to the ball on the left side thus gravity is working the ball loose. I thought that the ball would eventually come loose with the weight of the GPS. This has not happened yet. My plan if this does occurs is to use lock-tite

Last weekend I hard wired it using an add-a-circuit, the back light makes a huge difference.

Overall I am very happy with the setup.

Note: I had to shave a bit of the top off the wood near the clip (not pictured) above. I'll try to get some better picks up.

Last edited by Ryanmb21; 11-04-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Unread 11-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
AlexJet
Old Timer

That FJ setup is nice. I also like the mount with a bolt-out on 4Runner. Nice work.
'09 Custom Expedition Trailer --- 35"
AlexJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #12
Strahan
Rookie

I have a Map60Cx and use the Ram mount, with the big suction pad. I have travelled all over northern Oz on some very corrugated raods and never had problem with falling off. Plus you have the bonus of being able to swap it to different vehicles with no problem.

I do like the bolt through the dash method though...
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #13
Photog
Old Timer

This system was recently tested on the washboars of death Valley. It works great!

(A) Ram Mount ball with adhesive to dash, (B) velcro

Other velcro strip on bottom of GPS. This keeps it from bouncing. The Ram Mount holds the screen orientation.

Last edited by Photog; 03-06-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Unread 03-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #14
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

That turned out pretty good!! I didn't like the FJC mount at all, you can't have it that low.....takes your eyes off of the road.
I have the old Ram mount w/large suction cup.
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #15
Photog
Old Timer

The photo with the GPS in it (post # 15, above), is taken from a lower angle of view, than my normal driving position.

When viewing the GPS, while driving, it only blocks the view of my hood, and not the road. This is the biggest problem I have with the window mounts. They easily hide motorcycles, etc.

This location also lets my co-pilot (wife) see the GPS. When I had my old one on the steering column, she had no access to the data base in the GPS.

Also, when I remove the GPS, as in the 1st photo, it does not look like everyone elses GPS mounts. So; when someone pulls their GPS out of the windo mount, the crooks still know that you have one, and it is probably still in the car (glovebox or arm rest).

The Ram Ball on my dash still gets attention; but it is not obvious why it is there, compared to a "normal" GPS mount. Crook moves on to more obvious targets.

This could all be a load of BS too. Sometimes I overthink stuff. It is the nerd, engineer in me.

Last edited by Photog; 03-06-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

I know this thread is a bit old but still relevant.

Just got a Garmin 276c like Photog's but I am hesitant to drill into my dash. This is what I came up with...

I built a laptop console for my truck about 3 years ago when I was running GPS thru the computer. I took this console and modified it for the 276c.

Console pics...

I took apart the Marine Mount that came with the unit and mounted the base on the console with 3 small wood screws...

Then attached the mount to the base...

Final installation in the vehicle with GPS in the cradle...

Here's how the console is secured in the truck...

Gonna try it out at Pismo tomorrow and see how it holds up although it feels very solid.

PS: The console still allows me to retain the use of my cup holders for driver and passenger.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #17
java230
Old Timer

that thing is huge and ungly!!

check out proclipusa, they make little things that clip over the vents and stuff
java230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
java230
Old Timer

something like this?
http://www.proclipusa.com/site/frame...80&pageid=8323
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #19
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

That might work for some applications but the 276c is big unit. It also has a lot of flexibility for TOPO and city navigation as well as HAM radio and APRS applications. So it may be old, clunky and heavy but it works very well for my needs. The 276c will only be used for navigating offroad and navigating to the offroad area. The console may be ugly but it was free, it's solid and I can still use it as a small table of sorts. It comes out when I'm not wheeling. For daily use I have a Nuvi 200W.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #20
java230
Old Timer

i used one in my old rig and it was awesome! held about 6 lbs no prob. but if you like your table go for it!!