Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Meet, Trail Runs, Expeditions and Land Use > Meeting, Trail run and Expedition reporting

Unread 09-16-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Default 2nd Annual Toyota120 Mojave Road Trip Report

Thanks for helping me out in a bind. It is great to be part of such a great group. Special thanks to Joyce (Lead Mechanic and lots more!), Robert (Long drive to Needles), Jon (Hi-Lift support and General Helper), Ed K (Wrenching support) and Cody (Highway support team). Thanks also to everyone else who provided support and was so gracious. I appreciate all of you!

Ed
Donahoes, OME 895/N142S, Conferr Rack, Hanna Sliders, Cobra 75WX CB, ARB Air, Dual Batts (24v/12v), Shrockworks Bumper, PIAA 510s & 520s, Rear Floodlights, Oil Filter Relo & Fumoto Valve, BumBuilt Skids, ATG620 Laptop & Docking Station, Kenwood D710A w/ APRS, GPS60, MM 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch, Capstan Winch, Power Steering Cooler & Filter, 1/2" RogerBrown Bodylift
Ed-KE7MWY
Vegas Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
bulldog
Admin

OK, now we need details of how things happened and turned out

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
hopper
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Runner View Post
Thanks for helping me out in a bind. It is great to be part of such a great group. Special thanks to Joyce (Lead Mechanic and lots more!), Robert (Long drive to Needles), Jon (Hi-Lift support and General Helper), Ed K (Wrenching support) and Cody (Highway support team). Thanks also to everyone else who provided support and was so gracious. I appreciate all of you!

Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
OK, now we need details of how things happened and turned out
No problem Ed!

Well after the fact we found out that the front axle bracket broke before the trip like Roberts did. So a thought is that as he started going up the little hill at a angle the driver side started going up first the passenger came to the hill Ed gave it some gas to start going up and the front axle possibly shifted causing the weakest link (the cv) to blow up. There is a video of it so hopefully it will get posted up.

I had a great time though. I hope to be able to get out there and finish the trip sometime.
hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 03:43 AM   #4
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Default Our 2nd Annual Toyota120 Mojave Road trip Report

Wow, what a great trip!!! Very cool people, unbelievable weather, way too much awesome food, and fun for all!!!!

A major kink in the fun though, when we came into Rock Springs on Saturday morning, when Ed broke a pretty important part on his truck.

We (Joyce, Ed and I, drove to Needles), as we called everywhere, and all Toyota stores within a 200 mile radius, and no one had the part.

So, one to Needles we went, in order to find a shop who could cut an axle, so Ed's truck could be at least driven home.

We had a big, even bigger feast than Friday night, and a huge Mondo fire (thanks to, Jon).

Anyway, more to come, including lots of pictures!!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
tour4fun
Driver

What an awesome trip , but it was good to take a hot shower and sleep in my own bed.

You guys know I'm lousy with pics, so this trip I didn't even try taking pics . You'll love the pics that everyone else took.

I had a couple of mishaps of Sunday and I really appreciate all the help from people that jumped in to help me. I blew the side wall of a tire coming down some rocks, then I got stuck in the dunes and lastly I damaged another side wall (got an egg in it), but it hasn't popped yet. I had to drive home really slowly last night hoping it wouldn't pop. I've never gotten such good gas mileage before, but I've also never driven so slow at such a constant speed before either .

You'll see some pics of me being pulled through the water crossing by Robert. No, I'm not scared of water , I didn't want to risk getting water into my turbo and intercooler. I had seen pics from the previous weekend of this specific water crossing and arranged with Robert to give me a pull before I even came on the trip.

Last but not least, I would like to say a big thank you to Robert for organizing such a wonderful trip .

P.S. If you're stuck in the sand, don't listen to Robert when he says "hit the gas" - this means drown the truck so he can get a really good pic .
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
bulldog
Admin

Now I really need to see the pics. Sounds like you guys had an adventure

Thx for the explanation on Ed's truck. Makes sense on how he popped the inner vs the outer part fo the CV axle. I was baffled as to why the inner would pop as the outer normally has the most failures. Probably a good idea to inspect that bracket from time to time, especially after trips like John Bull in Big Bear.

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
JohnD
Senior Driver

What can one say! it was AWESOME. From start to finish Lily and I were having a blast, you folks were truly enjoyable and hospitable hope to do this again with you all!!!!

Don and Tammy thanks for the gas if not for you guys Lily and I would have had to push...LOL thanks again guys!!!!(he had like 25 gallons of gas awesome)

Robert you are "THE MAN", thanks for all the wheeling advice it will be put to good use and I one day hope to be able to follw you anywhere!!! This event was so cool and the scenary WOW!! cant wait for the next TRIP!!

Ed hope everythings gets worked out dude, Did it make it home ok with just 3wheel drive??

PICS:

Thanks everyone!

John & Lily

Last edited by JohnD; 09-17-2007 at 10:44 AM.
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Right on bro, tell Lily hi again for me. She's a really cool girl, you're a lucky man.

I'm going to down load, then up load my 600 or so pictures now, might take a little while, then I do have an appointment for an hour and a half massage!!!

So, it might be after that when I get them up, we'll see.

Glad everyone had fun, and made it home safe!! That's my goal for my trips, safe fun!!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
Unread 09-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tour4fun View Post
What an awesome trip , but it was good to take a hot shower and sleep in my own bed.

You guys know I'm lousy with pics, so this trip I didn't even try taking pics . You'll love the pics that everyone else took.

I had a couple of mishaps of Sunday and I really appreciate all the help from people that jumped in to help me. I blew the side wall of a tire coming down some rocks, then I got stuck in the dunes and lastly I damaged another side wall (got an egg in it), but it hasn't popped yet. I had to drive home really slowly last night hoping it wouldn't pop. I've never gotten such good gas mileage before, but I've also never driven so slow at such a constant speed before either .

You'll see some pics of me being pulled through the water crossing by Robert. No, I'm not scared of water , I didn't want to risk getting water into my turbo and intercooler. I had seen pics from the previous weekend of this specific water crossing and arranged with Robert to give me a pull before I even came on the trip.

Last but not least, I would like to say a big thank you to Robert for organizing such a wonderful trip .

P.S. If you're stuck in the sand, don't listen to Robert when he says "hit the gas" - this means drown the truck so he can get a really good pic .

I'm happy you made it home safe Joyce!!!! Also, I'm very happy that you came out with us, and had a great time, even with Ed's unfortunate breakdown.

You absolutely ROCK!!!

And I think we all wish there was a video of you (the race car driver) actually having to drive SLOW!! It is amazing how little gas you use when not hauling ass!!!

But, as I mentioned before, I'm just happy that you got home safe and sound!!

Oh yeah, don't be a stranger, come out with us again soon!!!!
Unread 09-17-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
Joel
Admin

Cool pics John!

Bummer to hear about the breakage Ed. Any ideas what caused it? Are you out of warrenty?

Looking forward to your eleventy-billion pictures Robert!

2004 Limited 4WD V8
Mods.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #11
hopper
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tour4fun View Post
I've never gotten such good gas mileage before, but I've also never driven so slow at such a constant speed before either .
Ya driving home down hill at 45mph was getting great mileage. I think Ed was saying he was getting 22mpg.
hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #12
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Cool pics John!

Bummer to hear about the breakage Ed. Any ideas what caused it? Are you out of warranty?

Looking forward to your eleventy-billion pictures Robert!

Here's my first cf card from Friday & part of Saturday!!!!!

http://rides.webshots.com/album/560741827qhySwT

Is eleventy a word??????

Here's my second CF Card..........Only 347 on this one, 342 on the first.
Not too bad.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/560746222rgVKJX

Last edited by my034runner; 09-17-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Unread 09-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Sorry I had to miss it this year, glad everyone had a good time and that any mishaps were able to be dealt with! Looks like we all need to inspect that brace to check for cracks/fatigue (at every oil change is a perfect opportunity).

Now where was this sign 3 weeks ago?
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2770...86613829dyfhzt
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 BFG ATs on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com

Last edited by Mikestang; 09-17-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #14
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
Sorry I had to miss it this year, glad everyone had a good time and that any mishaps were able to be dealt with! Looks like we all need to inspect that brace to check for cracks/fatigue (at every oil change is a perfect opportunity).

Now where was this sign 3 weeks ago?
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2770...86613829dyfhzt

It was right where you couldn't see it!!!
I actually just saw this sign for the first time Friday. And it wasn't next to any slope!!! I thought it was funny!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 09-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #15
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Just a few pics from the 600+ shots....................

At the start.......
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Lunch at Fort Paiute
[IMG][/IMG]

A pic of Ed at the top of Paiute Mt pass, shot through the bullet riddled sign.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ed K. at The Bus............

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Don and kids...........

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is what they're looking at, the inside of The Bus..............
[IMG][/IMG]

Ed takes a moment to reflect, at The Bus.............

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by my034runner; 09-18-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Unread 09-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #16
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Continued...............

Me being artsy using The Bus' windows for framing...........With Cody walking by..........

[IMG][/IMG]

More artsy stuff............

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Got branch???

John D. donating at the "Penny Can"
[IMG][/IMG]

Joyce donating............
[IMG][/IMG]

Don
[IMG][/IMG]

And me!!!
[IMG][/IMG]

Cody doing a little wheel stand!!!
[IMG][/IMG]

Jon................
[IMG][/IMG]

Joyce.................
[IMG][/IMG]

Ed towing Ed K.
[IMG][/IMG]

Around the campfire Friday night in Caruthers Canyon
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by my034runner; 09-18-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Unread 09-18-2007, 07:13 AM   #17
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Bummer to hear about the breakage Ed. Any ideas what caused it? Are you out of warrenty?
The differential support was already broken. I did not know that at the time but it was rusted so it had previously happened. I think that allowed a more severe angle on the inner CV joint which caused it to break when I put it under load.
Donahoes, OME 895/N142S, Conferr Rack, Hanna Sliders, Cobra 75WX CB, ARB Air, Dual Batts (24v/12v), Shrockworks Bumper, PIAA 510s & 520s, Rear Floodlights, Oil Filter Relo & Fumoto Valve, BumBuilt Skids, ATG620 Laptop & Docking Station, Kenwood D710A w/ APRS, GPS60, MM 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch, Capstan Winch, Power Steering Cooler & Filter, 1/2" RogerBrown Bodylift
Ed-KE7MWY
Vegas Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #18
mole177
Driver

Great turn out!!!

any group shots with everyone?

06 v8 4wd SE GalactiC Gray 4-runner
mole177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #19
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Continued from my 680 pictures.......

Don w/ camera Friday night, don't know if they actually took any pics though, as they haven't posted!!
[IMG][/IMG]

Some of the gang Saturday morning @ Caruthers Canyon........good times....
[IMG][/IMG]

Some of the upper Caruthers Canyon....
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Joyce's 4Runner poster shot.....in Upper Caruthers Canyon
[IMG][/IMG]

A shot of me and JohnD & Cody before the start of the Upper Upper Canyon...
[IMG][/IMG]

Tammy hiked way the hell up there...........
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

John D.
[IMG][/IMG]

Don & Family........
[IMG][/IMG]

Cody.........
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My034runner!!!!
[IMG][/IMG]

The Tres Amigos!!
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 09-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #20
05sport4x4
Senior Driver

Looks like it was a good trip with the usual excitement of some little breakdown. Pictures are fantastic as always, (thanks John and Robert). I really need to make this one next year.

05 4Runner Sport V6 - General Grabber ATX 275/70/17, Donahoe Adj C/O', Custom rear colis, Radflo rear shocks, Hanna sliders
89 Extra Cab 4x4 Pickup, with stuff
05sport4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote