Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Old 12-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #21
Yabedude
BC Pin Stripping Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_electron View Post
I own a 2004 Sport 4X4/ V-8 and I had these light come on, plugged in a scanner, it gave me the codes, turns out it was the upper O2 sensor/left bank.
And then? Did you change the O2 sensor or was there something else you did to correct the lights?

I've been having this on and off issue for over a year. I expect it's the wire leading the the sensor at the wheel due to lift and wheeling, but I never thought about the O2 sensor. I did pass our BS "air care" test in fall of 2010 and the lights were acting up in their parking lot on the way into the test bay, but the lights went out just before I got tested and it passed with good numbers. They only use OBD-II reads to test because it's a full time 4x4 and so there were no alarms present which is why I never figured this to be a O2 sensor issue.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #22
jacal
Driver

It's very easy to test the O2 sensor to ensure it gives the correct feedback. If it's failing, just replace it. Expensive part but easy.

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7648

JG
03 v6 LTD; OW 2.0 w/ 265/70/r17 Duratrac; DICE Mediabridge 1500; Stubbs Sliders; block heater plug Mod; RUD Grip4x4; yak x-bars; safari RR; hitch cargo basket; roof cargo basket; hydrocarbon/key reminder delete; SW & warn 8K; lexus gx drivers seat; LR UCA
jacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #23
loose_electron
Driver

I tried the cheapest fix first, which is to reset the codes by using as OBDII scanner. This worked up until five miles of driving, then the fault lights came on again.

I would reset the codes, run a good injector cleaner thru a tank of gas, something like Sea Foam, if it still comes on...here is what I did.

Check the wires for any damage, but none noted. So I replace the O2 sensor(use anti-seize on the threads), I think I bought a Bosch product from Napa.

From the R&R directions I had read, it states you need a special socket(but there is enough room to use a box/open end wrench) on that particular O2 sensor.

Attached is the 2003 4Runner wiring diagram for engine management and part location (difficult to see the sensor, but it is the upper O2 sensor before the 1st Cat), files courtesy of Bulldog. Chk page 4/5 for wire colors on the particular O2 sensor you may need to change. Mine was Bank 1/Sensor 1=drivers side upper sensor.

I would suggest to download a copy of the Toyota Factory Manual files from Bulldog- 2003 4RunnerWiring Diagram and the Repair Manual. A wealth of knowledge here.

Last edited by loose_electron; 11-03-2012 at 03:32 AM.
loose_electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #24
intense
Rookie

Quote:
I own a 2004 Sport 4X4/ V-8 and I had these light come on, plugged in a scanner, it gave me the codes, turns out it was the upper O2 sensor/left bank.
Was your Check Engine Light (CEL) also on?

I had an O2 sensor fail earlier this year. But my CEL came on, not these lights
intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #25
loose_electron
Driver

No, I don't think it was which was cause for more research before I dropped money into a black hole. Most noticable was the bad fuel milage and the VSC system switched off, and I want that as it rains somewhere on the island everyday. The roads are built from a coral mix in the asphalt, which grows algea like crazy and makes the roads slick like ice.

My next investment will be to buy a OBDII code reader, (rather than borrow)they are fairly cheap and well worth the money. And all newer cars have the port to read the codes.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #26
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

i have a error code for a few years now, the code reads: Incorrect purge flow out of left bank.

does anyone know what the cause is?

is it a O2 sensor?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #27
loose_electron
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_josh View Post
i have a error code for a few years now, the code reads: Incorrect purge flow out of left bank.

does anyone know what the cause is?

is it a O2 sensor?
Plug in a scanner and look for this code...P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow.

It could simply be a disconnected vacuum hose. Check out this link...

http://www.helpforcars.net/obd_codes...ect+Purge+Flow

Last edited by loose_electron; 12-19-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #28
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Quote:
Plug in a scanner and look for this code...P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow.

It could simply be a disconnected vacuum hose. Check out this link...

http://www.helpforcars.net/obd_codes...ect+Purge+Flow
awesome thank you! ill check it out in the daylight hours
Old 12-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #29
intense
Rookie

So, update on my dilemma. I think I narrowed it down to the passenger side front ABS wire.

Here's the process I used-
1. Disconnected passenger front ABS line from ABS sensor and connector in engine bay. Checked dash for change in lights. No change.
2. Reconnected passenger side, disconnect drivers side. Red brake light came on. Reconnect and cycle ignition. Brake light is off.
3. Test continuity on passenger side. Nothing...on both wires.
4. Test continuity on driver side. Positive reading.

It seems that my passenger side front ABS wire has failed. Now, where's the cheapest place to order one??
Old 12-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #30
Chrisx
Driver

Go cheap and expect it to happen again, Toyota is my suggestion.
Chrisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #31
Wishbone
Senior Driver

OK, this same issue just happened to me today, I am expecting the cause to be from wire damage or connection. Last night I took part in a long session of doughnuts in a snow covered parking lot, but the lights did not show up until this morning. I didn't do anything too crazy or hit any curbs/rocks/logs etc, so I am unsure how this would have happened from kicking up snow/ice. I am hoping that the harness either lossened or got some water in it. I will report back what I find.

On a side note, while I was having my fun, a guy in an old Corolla was doing doughnuts backwards for a while and then came to a stop. When I came over to see what was going on, his front passenger wheel was folded in, looked like he had hit a dry patch and busted up something in the front end. Looks like the parking lot may have claimed two victims.

Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #32
intense
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
OK, this same issue just happened to me today, I am expecting the cause to be from wire damage or connection. Last night I took part in a long session of doughnuts in a snow covered parking lot, but the lights did not show up until this morning. I didn't do anything too crazy or hit any curbs/rocks/logs etc, so I am unsure how this would have happened from kicking up snow/ice. I am hoping that the harness either lossened or got some water in it. I will report back what I find.

On a side note, while I was having my fun, a guy in an old Corolla was doing doughnuts backwards for a while and then came to a stop. When I came over to see what was going on, his front passenger wheel was folded in, looked like he had hit a dry patch and busted up something in the front end. Looks like the parking lot may have claimed two victims.
I'd do a zero point reset first. It. It might be that your VSC got confused with the variety of inputs.

FWIW, mine is still acting up. I def had a bad wire, but the lights are still on. Where to look next....ABS sensor?
Old 12-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #33
Carl44
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
First thing you could try is disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset the ECU, easy little time required.
This has been happening to me off-and-on for over 18 months. Disconnecting the battery neg lead for TEN SECONDS always fixes it. I can't locate the cause.
2 Labradors
Carl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #34
Chrisx
Driver

For recurring issues make sure to clear any old codes. Odd but it worked for me or I just got lucky.
Chrisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #35
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Did some digging and found a few interesting things and a crazy story that ensued. First the steps I took and what I found:

Tried the easiest first, disconected the - on the batt, no change.

Then went to the abs harnesses on the wheels. Removed the driver front, no change. Removed pass front, red brake light lit up. This lead me to believe it was the driver side ABS wire. I couldn't find anything suspicous down by the ABS sensor, so began to poke around under the hood, and saw this:

This is right by the UCA where the wire feeds up from the wheel and into the engine bay. Spliced in a new section and the pulled the - off the batt again . . .

No change! I thought that would fix it for sure.

Checked the fuses under the hood for the ABS systems, and it didn't look like any of them were blown, any suggestions on which one(s) would be the problem or steps to take next?

Now for the crazy part. I had the truck half way out of the garage while I was working on it, and when I was done for the night, wanted to pull it back into the garage. Upon starting it, heard and awful "clunk, thwap, clunk, clunk clunk, thwap" and saw what appeared to be insulation coming out from under the hood.

First thought, crap, I left something on the engine cover and it had fallen into the acc belt and fan, but I coun't think what would have had insulation on it, and I am super anal about checking around before closing the hood, as this is a great fear of mine.

Quickly shut it off and popped the hood, the "insulation" was everywhere. Upon closer inspection, it was fur! Upon even closer inspection, there was an eyeball stuck to the oil level check tube. Upon much closer inspection, there was a little bunny was stuck in the fan and quite mangled, his eye popped out. Poor guy didn't stand a chance. Not sure why he got up there, the engine had been off for quite a while and was not hot.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #36
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Also, I wasn't sure where to check on the engine side for continuity, can some one describe where and which wire(s) to check specifically driver front? Thanks!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #37
Carl44
Driver

Quote:
Did some digging and found a few interesting things and a crazy story that ensued. First the steps I took and what I found:

Tried the easiest first, disconected the - on the batt, no change.

Then went to the abs harnesses on the wheels. Removed the driver front, no change. Removed pass front, red brake light lit up. This lead me to believe it was the driver side ABS wire. I couldn't find anything suspicous down by the ABS sensor, so began to poke around under the hood, and saw this:

This is right by the UCA where the wire feeds up from the wheel and into the engine bay. Spliced in a new section and the pulled the - off the batt again . . .

No change! I thought that would fix it for sure.

Checked the fuses under the hood for the ABS systems, and it didn't look like any of them were blown, any suggestions on which one(s) would be the problem or steps to take next?

Now for the crazy part. I had the truck half way out of the garage while I was working on it, and when I was done for the night, wanted to pull it back into the garage. Upon starting it, heard and awful "clunk, thwap, clunk, clunk clunk, thwap" and saw what appeared to be insulation coming out from under the hood.

First thought, crap, I left something on the engine cover and it had fallen into the acc belt and fan, but I coun't think what would have had insulation on it, and I am super anal about checking around before closing the hood, as this is a great fear of mine.

Quickly shut it off and popped the hood, the "insulation" was everywhere. Upon closer inspection, it was fur! Upon even closer inspection, there was an eyeball stuck to the oil level check tube. Upon much closer inspection, there was a little bunny was stuck in the fan and quite mangled, his eye popped out. Poor guy didn't stand a chance. Not sure why he got up there, the engine had been off for quite a while and was not hot.

So, if I understand it, Bunnies in the radiator / serp belt area cause the ABS to fault? Or is it what I figured it had to be: The turn signal fluid?
2 Labradors
Old 12-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #38
Wishbone
Senior Driver

No, the bunny was not the problem, just a victim. I went through all of the other stuff before the bunny's demise. Still have the problem, and not sure how to fix, Wish it was the blinker fluid, that would be easy.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #39
Carl44
Driver

Quote:
No, the bunny was not the problem, just a victim. I went through all of the other stuff before the bunny's demise. Still have the problem, and not sure how to fix, Wish it was the blinker fluid, that would be easy.

Has anyone driven into a Yota dealer with all the lights on and gotten any codes?
2 Labradors
Old 12-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #40
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Sucess!!!

Per this thread:

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showt...0100#post40100

You need to drive a bit for the computer to reset itself and turn the lights off. Thanks Vegas Runner! Good info in the rest of the thread as well with pics of the sensors and wires. I also cracked the connector mentioned in the thread and will be replacing it. I am suprised that more people aren't getting damage to this wire, it is very exposed and not very big, I think I will be relocating the passenger side as well!

Luckily no one got hurt during this ordeal, oh wait . . .

Tags
abs, dash lights, trac, vsc