Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Gallery > Gallery

Unread 10-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Photog
Old Timer

Default Photog's '04 Sport

Well, I have been blowing hot air long enough, on the forum.
It is time for me to post the progress, as it stands, on our 2004 Sport 4Runner.

November 2008

Mod List up to Oct 2016:
Suspension
OME 884 / 895 springs - 3" front & 2" back (2007)
OME 140s / 141 shocks (2008) - Yes: 12 months with OME springs on XREAS shocks.
One Daystar lift spacer in left-rear position: Part # M03531, purchased from Daystar. (2010)
SS braided brake lines (2008)
1" Wheel Spacers (adapters) (2007) - Removed & sold 2008
SpiderTrax 1.25" Spacers (adapters) (2008)
275/70R17 (32") Goodyear Silent Armor tires - Good A/T and quiet. (2006)
255/75R17 BFG M/T Spare (2008)
Light Racing UCA's (2010)
255/75R17 Goodyear Kevlar MTR tires - Very noisy, compared to the Silent Armor tires (2011).
275/70R17 Cooper A/T3 tires - Mild road noise, predictable. (2016)

Exterior
Trim inside fenderwells for tires (2006)
Removed exhaust resonator, and re-routed tail pipe (2007)
Black Widow roof basket, welded together (2007)
Hi-Lift Jack and shovel mounted to roof basket (2007)
Rocky Road Super Sliders (2008)
Fog Light wire mod, to allow fogs without any headlights. (2008)
75 watt, yellow bulbs for fog lights.(2008)
Made mount for Hi-Lift inside, to lower CG (2008)
Added extra pair of crossbars to the roof rack. (2009)

Interior
Replaced shift knob with round shift knob (2006)
Magnum Mini CB and Lil' Will antenna and powered mic (2007)
Scion T1806 iPod ready head unit (2007)
iPod adapter cable for T1806 (2007)
Garmin 276c GPS w/ remote antena (2007)
Truck Vault storage drawer, w/ cup holders (2007)
Cut out factory speaker location, to mount CB speaker. (2008)
Move GPS mount to top of dash (2008)

143,000 miles since Aug 2004 (now Jan 2011)
233,000 miles (now July 2017)
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.

Last edited by Photog; 01-02-2018 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Tires for 2011
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Photog
Old Timer

Default 275/70R17 tires and OME Lift

Starting in 2004
Here it is, the first day home from the dealer. These things sit so low, you can't even crawl under it, to look things over. It is sitting next to our previous 4Runner (now our daughter's). They just look so pedestrian in stock trim.

We drove it for a year, and finally wore off the factory tires. When it was time for new ones, I tried the 285/70R17 BFG A/T's. Without a lift, they were huge. They rubbed on everything, and I couldn't get enough plastic or metal out of the way. I took them back to Discount Tire, and traded for the 275/70R17 Goodyear Silent Armor.

These fit better; but still rubbed on the UCA, swaybar and frame. So I installed a set of 1" wheel spacers, from Wab Fab. Now it only rubbed under full lock and full compression (where the mudflaps used to be).

This photo shows the new tire and the exhaust mod. I don't like the location of the resonator; so I had it cut off, and had the tailpipe tucked up next to the fender.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Last edited by Photog; 04-16-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Unread 10-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
Photog
Old Timer

Next, I wanted to replace the shift handle, to something more sporty.

There is a nice little Lexus knob that is a direct replacement; but it is chrome on top. It is not hot in the summer, as the core of the ball is a medium density plastic.

Unread 10-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
Photog
Old Timer

I didn't care for the chrome. It always seems to have the sun reflecting into my eyes. It felt a little small to me, otherwise I would have just painted it, and kept using it. It was also $50. Lexus returned my money, without questions.

I found a knob that works perfectly. It is an industrial knob for heavy equipment. They can be found in many industrial catalogs; but I just picked one up at the John Deere dealer. It is the right size, is not chrome, and threads right on, with a thread adapter. The thread adapter comes with a dab of red lock paste on the outside. You can see some of the residue in the 2nd photo.

Last edited by Photog; 04-10-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Unread 10-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
SinCityFJC
Floppy

Looks good & like the John Deer knob
Tread Lightly Tread Trainer
VV4W Communications Officer
Member of SNLC - TLCA - UFWDA
SinCityFJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Photog
Old Timer

Default Communications

Next we needed communication equipment. I picked up a nice small CB/10m radio from http://www.radioactiveradios.com/. With the antenna in the middle of the roof, just behind the sunroof, I needed to find a place for the box. Not many good places to mount a full size or small CB, in the 4Runners. Unless you want to cramp the passenger, and have a long reach for the controls.

I ended up using industrial velcro, and attaching to the console, along with a decent external speaker. And I still have access to both cup holders; important on the trail.

Edit: The speaker has been moved to the factory dash location - details later in this thread.

Last edited by Photog; 05-15-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Unread 10-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
Photog
Old Timer

Default Tunes

Now we needed music, when we were not in range of a radio station.

I purchased one of the USA Spec iPod adapters. It brings the iPod signal into the head unit, through the CD changer port. I ran the cables down through the console, and into the storage box. I can then let the iPod run, and keep it tucked in the storage box. I also picked up a Case Logic gizmo, that lets me store the phone and iPod, in easy reach. I typically only use it on long road trips.

Edit: This location for the iPod is good, if you need to control the music, with the iPod. Later, we installed a Scion radio that has iPod controls. With the Scion stereo, I don't need to see the iPod to use it; so we moved it to the tray in front of the cup holders. See later posts.

Last edited by Photog; 05-15-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Unread 10-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
Photog
Old Timer

Default Navigation

I looked in the Toyota repair manual, for the location of the factory GPS antenna. It fits under the dash, against the firewall, behind the head unit. The dash is all plastic in this area, and does not impede the signal reception. I used the Garmin external antenna, and a Garmin GPSV. (replaced later with a Garmin 276c).

I hate blocking my view of the road, with things on the dash and windshield. I also don't want to look down at the console for my GPS information. So I mounted it on the steering column. It blocks the view of my odometer, when driving. I was worried about this, and figured I could move it later, if necessary. It has not been a problem for the last two years.

Edit: Now I have a Garmin 276c. It is a bit larger than the GPS-V. I use it in the same position; but I do not like it there. I have devised a clean way to mount it just above the stereo. In that location, it will block some view of the hood; but not the road.

Unread 10-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
SinCityFJC
Floppy

Dealing with same issue on my FJC - were do I stuff all the electronic goodies

Only going to get worse since I'm brushing up to get relicensed for Ham radio after being out of it for decades, they got so many great radios just got figuere out were to fit them

Brian also with correct spelling
Unread 10-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
Photog
Old Timer

Default OME Lift

Next came the lift. I really don't like the way these rigs look, with the factory suspension. I already had the tires, and wheel spacers. I found all the rub points, and delt with them. Then it was time for the lift. I consulted all the info on the 120 forum, and asked a bunch of questions.

I purchased the OME 884 front & 895 rear springs and installed them on the existing XREAS shocks. The factory shocks do not have enough rebound control for the stronger springs. I need to replace the XREAS system with a set of good quality shocks.

Here is a link to the install. OME Install without spring compressor.

The truck has 275/70R17 tires in these photos.

Last edited by Photog; 12-12-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Unread 10-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #11
Photog
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityFJC View Post
Dealing with same issue on my FJC - were do I stuff all the electronic goodies

Only going to get worse since I'm brushing up to get relicensed for Ham radio after being out of it for decades, they got so many great radios just got figuere out were to fit them

Brian also with correct spelling
The HAM radios have that nice remote face, which lets you hide the large radio box. If you don't need access to the box, there should be plenty of room up in the dash to hide it.

Correct spelling: Brian

Last edited by Photog; 12-07-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Unread 10-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
Photog
Old Timer

Default Storage drawer

Since we usually have a pile of camera gear with us, and we would like to keep it; we added a locking storage drawer, from http://www.truckvault.com/.

We had it made 12" tall on the inside, to clear our thickest camera gear. It has lifting "wings" that cover the fender wells, and an ACE style lock. It is held to the floor with 4 turn buckles.

Somewhere in Death Valley

I added a pair of cup holders from West Marine. West Marine has metal holders available; but I chose plastic, incase I close the hatch on an open cup holder. The holder should break, and not hte hatch panel. If I have not had any trouble in a year, I may switch them out for the metal ones.

Last edited by Photog; 12-07-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Unread 10-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
Photog
Old Timer

Default Trip to Death Valley

We had all this done, before making a trek down to Death Valley in Spring '07. I wish we had a roof rack by then; but we didn't.

Unread 10-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #14
SinCityFJC
Floppy

Nicely done truck vault & great pics
Unread 10-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #15
Photog
Old Timer

Default Roof Basket

We did finally get a roof basket. It is not strong enough for a RTT (Roof Top Tent); but it carries our extra fuel, HiLift jack, shovel , etc. I would not want to put more than 150 lbs in it; and I wouldn't drive on rough roads with more than 90 lbs in it.

It is a Black Widow basket, from http://www.discountramps.com/car-top...roof-racks.htm .

Last edited by Photog; 05-19-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Unread 10-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #16
Photog
Old Timer

Closer photos of the roof basket.

Unread 10-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #17
Photog
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityFJC View Post
Nicely done truck vault & great pics
Thanks for the kind words.

That Vault was a little pricey; $1,500. There is a thread running, with some other options; but they seem to be in the over $1k price range.
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2038

Last edited by Photog; 10-28-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Unread 10-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #18
SinCityFJC
Floppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

That Vault was a little pricey; $1,500. There is a thread running, with some other options; but they seem to be in the over $1k price range.
I think I would fill my front AP bumper with a Warn 9.5xp winch w/synthetic line before doing the trunk.
Unread 11-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #19
Photog
Old Timer

Here is a shot of the new stereo form a Scion. It is the T1806 with iPod compatability. I purchased the iPod cable on e-bay. This is not the factory set of cables; but a single cable that connects the iPod to the head unit. The screen on the head unit will display a custom message, that you program into it. The default screen says "Scion".

This stereo sounds better than the factory 4Runner stereo, and has more control over the equalizing options. It fits right into the factory opening, with no modifications. All the plugs and cables fit the same as the factory issue head unit. You also retain the steering wheel controls!! I like the T1806, because it has the pair of knobs. Some of the other models had push buttons for all the controls (T1807). The newest model, T1808, should work the same as this T1806.

The iPod cable is available now and then on e-bay. It is called "Scion-Apple-ipod-Interface-cable-SC12235"

The cable and head unit work great! Plug in my iPod, leave it in the console box, and all the controlls are on the head unit. It all works much better than the factory issue radio with the USA Spec iPod adapter.

Edit: We moved the iPod from the armrest box to the tray in front of the cup holders. With the iPod connected to the stereo, it locks out the controls on the iPod and allows control from the stereo directly. Therefore, we don't need easy access to the iPod.

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #20
Teotwaki
Adventurer

I like my Scion radio too!

too bad that Ipod cable is out of production
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote