Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Outfitting

Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Darklight
Senior Driver

Default RCI skids

Looks like another option is available for skids. I am currently looking into getting a gas tank skid and transfer case skid and found these. They're 3/16" inch thick. I talked to them about a gas tank skid and they're currently developing one. I was going to get BudBuilt gas tank and possibly transfer case skid but thought I would wait to see what RCI came up with first. They looked like they're tucked up higher then Bud's too.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://rcimetalworks.com/03-09-4Runner_c9.htm

Link to intall pictures from page 3

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=49
2008 Black Toyota 4Runner 4X4 SR5 V6, Clazzio black Leather, OW Radflo 2.5"coilovers & 3” rear coils, Light Racing UCA's, Icon VS 2.0 rear shocks, 285/75R16 BFG KM2, Strike 6 wheels , ATO/RCI/BudBuilt skids,Stubbs sliders, Aha Reinforced Diff Bracket, 4Crawler B/L, DynoMax , K&N ,Raingler net, HCF Delete, Rear Differential Breather Mod, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED’s,
Darklight's Build

Last edited by Darklight; 05-10-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
oljedi1950
Driver

He's very popular on t4r & a cpl guys cross forums , real easy to work with & optional alum .
2005 v6 dorado gold Bilstiens 51s & fj coils 2.5 fr daystar 1.5 r spacer, hcf del., afe dry,cooper at3 275/70/17 w pcd te wheels, flowmaster super 70 muffler, urd y-pipe, spidie fr 1.25 & motortech r 1.5 adapters , grom audio, rola vortex w/ato rack mods, depo blacked out headlamps& tails .
oljedi1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
bt216
Senior Driver

nice prices, but I wouldnt want holes like that.

Also the mounts are terrible. Carriage bolts or button head is way better
Old 03-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Darklight
Senior Driver

I agree there's allot of holes for drainage and access for maintenance/service, maybe a little over board on the holes, lol. Carriage bolts would be a great option for them. I like how the transfer skid is tucked up high, just concerned with how it is mounted to the side frame without the use of an additional crossmember bar like BudBuilt has for his. Keep it coming guys interested to hear your feed back
2008 Black Toyota 4Runner 4X4 SR5 V6, Clazzio black Leather, OW Radflo 2.5"coilovers & 3” rear coils, Light Racing UCA's, Icon VS 2.0 rear shocks, 285/75R16 BFG KM2, Strike 6 wheels , ATO/RCI/BudBuilt skids,Stubbs sliders, Aha Reinforced Diff Bracket, 4Crawler B/L, DynoMax , K&N ,Raingler net, HCF Delete, Rear Differential Breather Mod, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED’s,
Darklight's Build
Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
t-rex grrr
Driver

I spoke to the gent on the phone and he's a really nice guy that's easy to work with. For those that don't like the holes, you can request to not have them.
t-rex grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Darklight
Senior Driver

I talked with Josh from RCI Metalworks and he is going to make me a custom tranny skid to mount up to my existing front/mid ATO skid based off the measurements I gave him. I am also ordering his transfer case skid. He will be removing the holes from mine except for maintenance/service areas and sending along grade 8 low profile hardware per my request

Still waiting for the development of the gas tank skid but should be ready soon.
Darklight's Build
Old 04-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
nathana92
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
I talked with Josh from RCI Metalworks and he is going to make me a custom tranny skid to mount up to my existing front/mid ATO skid based off the measurements I gave him. I am also ordering his transfer case skid. He will be removing the holes from mine except for maintenance/service areas and sending along grade 8 low profile hardware per my request

Still waiting for the development of the gas tank skid but should be ready soon.
Sounds sweet! I'm gonna go with these when I get some skids.
2003 SR5 4WD V8: TRD SUPERCHARGED, TRD Headers, ARB Bull Bar, CBI Rear, OME 886 coils w/ 1/4'' Spacer, SuperFlex's, 5100's, 285 Cooper STT, Slee SS Brake Lines, Custom Sway Bar Links, 4xInnovations Sliders, AllPro Lower Links, DDM HID'sCustom Y-Pipe, Magnaflow, BudBuilt, KurtFab Diff-Brace, Wet Okole's, JL Sub/Amp
nathana92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

It does not appear to me that the transfer case skid can support the full weight of the vehicle; what is reinforcing the rear end of it? Is there a cross bar I cannot see?

For example, one of the first things I did with my BB skids was to jack the truck up by the xfer case skid cross-member just to be sure that if I came down on a rock the skid would hold and I won't end up on the t.c.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear SA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com

Last edited by Mikestang; 04-01-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
Darklight
Senior Driver

Mike, valid question for sure! ONe I asked as well. The transfer case skid is a 2 piece unit that bolts together using 2pieces of 3/16" inch plate. It is mounted to the frame using 2 bolts to each side on the rear end and 4 bolts to the supporting existing crossmember. It has a bend in the rear to help strengthened it as well. I hope it will support it fine.

Better pictures of the transfercase design:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/1298311-post70.html
Darklight's Build
Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
MoBetta
Rookie

Newbie question....

Is it more common to need a transfer case and oil pan skid then a gas tank skid? Last trip out I ended up on the gas tank skid, everything else didnt get touched {dented the exhaust resonator}
2004 4Runner Sport Edition V8. So far its got a Baja Rack, Icon extended coilovers, Total Chaos UCA, Bilstein 5100 and Icon rear springs, 1.5 wheel spacers, Toyo MT 265/70/17 tires, Hi-Lift Jack, a 9' rod holder and some Baja pinstripes.

MoBetta is the name of my boat.
MoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
Darklight
Senior Driver

The factory skids are very thin as i'm sure you've seen. RCI & BudBuilt use 3/16" inch steel plate and it's pretty stout. Full length skid plates are going to be worth it if you're out wheeling your vehicle. I say replace them both.
Darklight's Build
Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
MoBetta
Rookie

Thanks, I just had to hear it from someone other then the voice inside my head.
2004 4Runner Sport Edition V8. So far its got a Baja Rack, Icon extended coilovers, Total Chaos UCA, Bilstein 5100 and Icon rear springs, 1.5 wheel spacers, Toyo MT 265/70/17 tires, Hi-Lift Jack, a 9' rod holder and some Baja pinstripes.

MoBetta is the name of my boat.
MoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
El-Coyote
Rookie

These look like nice units for a good price. I've been comparing BB and these cause I'm soon to be purchasing or making some skid plates

There's two things about BB that I like more than these (just from looking at pics so correct me if I'm wrong): BB look wider overall and it seems like the width offers more protection, and then with a set of BBs you have a flat smooth surface all the way past the transfer case. The RCI tranny and transfer case skids seem tucked up higher, but that leaves that extra section hanging down to cover the exhaust crossover (on V6 at least). I'm not a big fan of that, just waiting to get hung up.

The RCI have a the big plus of being much more affordable. They seem like a good product, especially with the option of less holes

Darklight, let us know how you like them

Last edited by El-Coyote; 04-02-2013 at 10:41 PM.
El-Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #14
Darklight
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Coyote View Post
These look like nice units for a good price. I've been comparing BB and these cause I'm soon to be purchasing or making some skid plates

There's two things about BB that I like more than these (just from looking at pics so correct me if I'm wrong): BB look wider overall and it seems like the width offers more protection, and then with a set of BBs you have a flat smooth surface all the way past the transfer case. The RCI tranny and transfer case skids seem tucked up higher, but that leaves that extra section hanging down to cover the exhaust crossover (on V6 at least). I'm not a big fan of that, just waiting to get hung up.

The RCI have a the big plus of being much more affordable. They seem like a good product, especially with the option of less holes

Darklight, let us know how you like them

I certainly will let everone know how it turns out. They do get tucked up higher around the transfer case and are actually wider do to the mounting on the vehicles frame in that area.
The BB front and mid skid are wider up front then these for sure. The cross over exhaust skid hangs down a tad but I think it will be fine. If anything it should act as a slider or at least take the impact from a rock. I understand that these are not completly smooth bottomed like Bud's are, lol but I do not think they will hit as many things do to them tucking up higher. I certainly will find out though

Bobby
Darklight's Build
Old 04-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
Wishbone
Driver

I will be picking up a set of these soon! Local business as well. I am going to see if I can have the exhaust rerouted and tucked up so I could use the V8 transfer skid without the drop down cage that is on the V6 one.

Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #16
Darklight
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
I will be picking up a set of these soon! Local business as well. I am going to see if I can have the exhaust rerouted and tucked up so I could use the V8 transfer skid without the drop down cage that is on the V6 one.
I like the idea of tucking up the the cross over exhast pipe as well. I think the exhaust cage will be fine though but I will find out soon enough. My skids arrived the other day, I just need to find time to prime & paint them.
1 custom tranny skid to match up to my existing ATO front/mid skid and a transfer case skid. Both with no extra holes and grade 8 button head bolts. They came packaged very nicely and seem to have great quality and craftsmanship. Dealing with Josh from RCI was a pleasure. I'll post back when I get everything mounted up.

Bobby
Darklight's Build
Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
Wishbone
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
I like the idea of tucking up the the cross over exhast pipe as well. I think the exhaust cage will be fine though but I will find out soon enough. My skids arrived the other day, I just need to find time to prime & paint them.
1 custom tranny skid to match up to my existing ATO front/mid skid and a transfer case skid. Both with no extra holes and grade 8 button head bolts. They came packaged very nicely and seem to have great quality and craftsmanship. Dealing with Josh from RCI was a pleasure. I'll post back when I get everything mounted up.

Bobby
Do you really think the holes will compromise the strength that much?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #18
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Yes, basic materials physics.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear SA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #19
Darklight
Senior Driver

Quote:

I like the idea of a smooth surface, I see allot of rocks on the trails I run and I don't want to get snagged or turtled, lol. I also think that without the holes there is a strength gain.

I got one side primed last night and hope to have them painted this weekend,
Darklight's Build
Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
Wishbone
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
Yes, basic materials physics.
"Much" being the key word here, obviously more material is stronger. And, I should point out, if the holes were dimpled they would increase the strength over a solid sheet.

Talked to a few exhaust shops yesterday, and the reroute would be a pain in the ass and expensive. In looking at the bottom of the truck though, the pipe doesn't seem like it is much lower, if at all, than the cross member.

Darklight, can you take some pics to show the clearance around the pipe?