Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Gallery > Gallery

Unread 02-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
Darklight
Old Timer

Default Darklight's Build

Current picture

Psalm 139: 11-12

If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,”
even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.

Vehicle spec’s:

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD with Toyotas convenience packages

Engine/Performance:
4.0L V6
Nitro 4.56 gears
ARB lockers front/rear
HCF delete
K&N drop in filter and stock paper for trail
DynoMax SuperTurbo Muffler with down spout

Suspension Front:
OW Radflo 2.5"700 lbs coilovers with 14" eibech springs
SPC Light Racing UCA with specride bushings
Energy Suspension bushings in front LCA

Suspension Rear:
MetalTech stage 5 LT
Icon 2.5's with remote reservoir long travel shocks
MetalTech HD progressive rate coils with Daystar spacers on top of both
SS extended rear brake lines
MetalTech bumpstops
MetalTech offset lower control arms
Custom lower link frame mounts made of 1/4" steel plate
Rear diff breather extended to gas cap area
4Crawler Roger Brown bodylift ”

Armor:
4X4Labs rear bumper
Demello Offroad 3 hoop bumper in semi-gloss black
Stubbs Welding Ultimate sliders with kickout
ATO front/mid
RCI custom Tranny, T-case reinforced
Budbuilt gastank
Aha2988 reinforced diff bracket

Recovery:
TJM10K Stealth winch
ARB 10' tree saver
2'X20' Smittybuilt snatch strap
Hi-Lift 60" black cast
Hi-lift jack base and handle keeper
Fiskars axe and gorilla shovel

Wheels:
Level 8 Strike 6 black satin 16X8.5 -6 offset and 4.5” backspace
1.5” AllPro hubcentric wheel spacers up front

Tires:
BF Goodrich KM2 285/75R16

Interior:
sPOD source system and 6 switch contura bezel
Clazio leather covers black with black stitching
DDM Tuning interior led’s
WeatherTech digi mats
homemade cargo floor 3/4" Plywood cut & painted grey
Speski offroad custom Barrier
Rear cargo fire extinguisher and ax mounted to side walls via quickfists and fabricated metal brackets
Maglight mounted on drivers seat
MV50 air compressor
ARB CKMA12

Stereo equipment:
Kenwood dnx692 headunit
Alpine Powerpak KTP-45U amp
Polk Audio db6501 component up front
Jl audio TR650cxi in the rear
JL audio 8w1v3-4, 8" sub in stock enclosure
Sound Ordinance 1350 mono amp powering sub
B-Quiet Ultimate and v-comp sound deadening on flooring

Exterior:
4X4Runner license plate
Whitson Metalworks roof rack with sun roof opening
Morimoto TRS 55watt 55K HID Elite system low beams
Acro 3840 foglights inide Demello bumper
BlitzPro 6led lights mounted to rear and sides of roof rack
Blacked out all chrome badges, front/rear grill and door handles
Misc stickers
Custom pinstrips, tree rash & rock rash

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Clazzio black Leather, LR UCA's ,OW Radflo 2.5"coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 285/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, TJM 10K winch, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, A-ha diff bracket 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build

Last edited by Darklight; 11-16-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
Darklight
Old Timer

Long time coming, back in Fall of 2007 I was looking for an FJ but after test driving one I knew it wouldn’t suit my family needs. Started looking into Toyota offroad history with the older Land Cruiser’s and 4Runner’s. After giving the 4Runner a glimpse I knew this was more of what I needed. After some research we purchased my 2008 brand new in December 2007. This was my first real 4 wheel drive vehicle. It did not take me long to uncover the capability of the 4Runner in it’s stock form. I found Uwharrie National Forest off road park and took the almost 2 hour journey up to Albemarle,NC.

It was my first real off road adventure. As soon as I arrived there was a newer Tacoma. I pulled up to him to ask what trails he thought I could run in stock form. He took a look and said well if you ditch the running boards and maybe the mud flaps I should be fine on the easier-moderate trails. 5 minutes later I was in the gravel parking lot removing my running boards and front mud flaps. 10 minutes later I was on the search for my first trail! I was very excited to say the least. Had allot of fun out there and started gong back every other weekend.

I also found a trail right behind my house that I started to repair and maintaining as it was an old logging road that loops around to an old abandoned dirt rd, then I created a new trail that loops them all together. There is a couple small creek crossings and a nice hill climb. I have permission from the county and the property owner as well.

Below are some picture’s from the early days.

After a couple trips out I had a little too much fun during a high water crossing and needed to have my tension idle pulley replaced under warranty.

EngineNoise

Limo tinted the rear back windows and 35% on front windows.

It did not take me long to realize I needed more clearance and height on the trail. I had to teeter over most of the berms and rocks. I would hit them at an angle to avoid this but would still scrape along slowly. After several trips out I began to really get the itch for a lift and tires. I was pretty impressed at what the 4Runner could do if I allowed it to in stock form. I found the T4R community and Toyota120 forum. Did some at home mods like K&N drop in filter, remove the HC filter, the foglight and Highbeam mod, seatbelt chime off.

2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Clazzio black Leather, LR UCA's ,OW Radflo 2.5"coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 285/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, TJM 10K winch, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, A-ha diff bracket 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build

Last edited by Darklight; 02-07-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Darklight
Old Timer

I also got some tools for my Birthday so I can do my own lift and work on my 4Runner if needed. Did my driveline service and swapped out front/rear and transfer case to M1 fluids.
Meet up with some local Toyota owners and hit Uwharrie again. This time we ran every trail out there including the backside of Daniel to the top and then back down.

Pic’s:

After a while I ended up needing new tires but could not afford a more aggressive ones at the time. I found a brand new set of OE FJ tires on the Blue room. A week later I got all 5 265/70R17 with around 1,200 miles on them for $200.00, Thanks FJTom. I was excited about this because these were a step up in size compared to my stock 265/65r17. That Christmas I added a small ” body lift to help with a small amount of rubbing I was getting with the tires during off roading. Thanks MikeStang.

Also got a FJ Raingler net for the cargo area, Thanks BlairB.

Also got a new DynoMax muffler for Christmas. Spec’s: DynoMax Super turbo muffler with added turn down pipe Model 17748 2- 1/2 in/out, it has a nice deep rumble.

Some pic’s of the muffler set up and info:

Muffler Thread

Then I started noticing some sponginess in my front suspension and found a worn out front swaybar bushing. That is when I started experimenting with removing it for off road trips and it was indeed a major advantage off road! I would put it back on after trips though. I ordered Moog Thermo swaybar bushings front #K80820 /rear #K90394 and rear endlink #K6600 bushings per MCL_68 recommendations. Thanks Mark, These made the suspension more predictable in turns over the stock rubber with less sway.
I waited until I could get a real full off road replacement suspension lift. Knowing that I would ultimately have full armor skids, front bumper and winch, rear bumper with tire carrier. I started looking at adjustable coilovers. Icon and Radflo were at the top of the list but Overland Warehouse was exactly what I was looking for. After getting good feedback from others I contacted Andries. After talking with Andries and telling him my plans for the build and my daily use I had my mind made up. Right around that time Icon came out with the VS series rear shocks. These were a bit more affordable so, I decided to pair the 2 together. Using Overland Warhouse Radflo coilovers up front and Overland Warehouse prototype rear coils with Icon VS in the rear. I ditched the front swaybar, “we don’t need no stinking swaybar” the ride feels great on rd and off.

Below are some pictures and links to the initial install:

With added rear spacer

Link to install:

Overland Warehouse 2.5"/Icon VS install

Around the same time I bought an ATO front skid 3/16” steel painted it satin black. This covers from the front to the Tranny or front/mid area as one unit. I also bought some ultimate sliders from Stubbs welding. Had a good experience talking with him as well and had them slightly customized with the rear kick out. Brought them over to my friend and fellow Toyota owner Mike and welded them on.

Here are some pic’s:

The added height really helped on the trail and the suspension feels AWESOME.
Took it out on the rocks and enjoyed the ride immensely!

Darklight's Build

Last edited by Darklight; 02-08-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Darklight
Old Timer

Started looking at tires and really wanted a set of wheels with a better offset wheel. Wanted the Raceline Renegade 6 or Method wheels. Could not justify the price on Methods and could not find Raceline available at the time. I found a set just like them but with a better finish, Level 8 Strike 6. Decided I would give the Hankooks a shot but they did not work out to well for me.

Ended up with the BF Goodrich KM2 and I am very pleased with my decision.

Link to write up:

Hankook MT RT03 tires

Found a great deal on a set of Clazio leather seat covers in all black with black stitching that I couldn’t pass up. These are made with PVC sides or outers and leather inner. With the help of a couple Toyota owner friends we installed them, Thanks PD Superman3043 and Austin Aha2988. Turned out pretty nice and I like the fact that the material cleans up easy with a warm wet cloth and some soap if needed. Also, plastidipped my chrome door handles, Thanks PD.

Added interior led’s to the doors and map/overhead lights from DDM Tuning. Also added white 9led bulbs to the parklights and an interior led red rope light going through the rear seating and cargo area. Now I can keep an eye on the little guy and the dog if need be. Also got up with my friend Austin Aha2988 and reinforced the front diff bracket by adding ” plates to the sides. Similar to Kurt.

After looking at skids I decided I was going to get the RCI tranny and have it customized to meet up with my ATO (ArmorTechOffroad) front/mid skid for added clearance. I also got the transfer case skid from RCI but latter had to modify the cross over cage. Thanks, Austin. It has a drop down cage that allows for the exhaust crossover pipe protection. This alllows the rest of the skid to be tucked up higher for more clearance. I also added the Budbuilt gastank skid but had to modify it as well. Put some lower link mount skids on from RockTec.

SKid link:

RCI skids

Installed Moog lower ball joint:

Lower Ball Joint Replacement

Added Energy Suspension front LCA bushings and did a write up,

front LCA removal & bushing replacement

Darklight's Build

Last edited by Darklight; 12-04-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Darklight
Old Timer

Reserved,
Darklight's Build
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
Darklight
Old Timer

Future plans are enjoy the ride,
Getting into offroading I had no idea how addictive the whole thing would become. I started off with mild trails but now I am leaning more towards moderate rock crawling.
I need to beef up the rear links system lower/upper (MetalTech or Allpro or Custom), pan rod bar and diff armor. Plan to get a secondary fuse box for a needed cb, add some rock lights either BlitzPro 6led or DDM flood type and some reverse lights.

Future mods include front armor bumper (undecided on brand) Demello or CBI with full hoops and possibly a winch. Roof rack, Rear custom bumper with a tire carrier, I like 4X4Labs design.

Front and rear ARB lockers and regear to 4.88 possibly 34-35 tires

Bobby
Darklight's Build
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
HHIRunner
Driver

Finally got a build together! Looks great man!
HHIRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Nice, glad you got a build thread together!

Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
Darklight
Old Timer

Thanks guys, it feels like I am finally getting all of my info together. Hope to add to my build this year but we will have to wait and see. Looking at getting a set of Trailhead tire deflators for the up and coming wheeling season this spring as well as a CB set up.

Got in the Runner yesterday and had my CEL & VSC light son. Had codes C1201 and P0442, emissions system leak 4 times. Just replaced my gas cap at 78K and reset the lights. Seems to fine now.

Also, had my stock battery replaced about a month ago. Nothing fancy just a Duralast Gold Part Number: 24F-DLG. Thought about getting an Odyssey but this was much more affordable at the time.

Did a little snow wheeling behind the house this past week.

Bobby
Darklight's Build
Unread 03-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
Darklight
Old Timer

Okay, I guess I am special. I know the 2006 and up models have a larger fender flares but I am having rubbing issues with a 285/75R16 KM2. I have 3.3 caster and at full stuff I am hitting/rubbing the firewalls during turning as well as my fenders. I have already trimmed allot in this area and hammered pinch welds. Below is a picture of my front end almost at full stuff, I still had about 1/2" to hit the bumpstops. Right now I am on the fence with upgrading the body lift to the full 1.5" or going to a larger custom 2" bodylift.

Only thing really holding me back is the work to re-weld the sliders if they look to low afterwards and with a 2" i'm sure they will.

Aside from that I am leaning towards the 2" because I plan on running bigger tires in the future.

BTW, I have removed the 1.5" wheel spacers and the rubbing seems to be the same with or without them. There is about an 1/8" more room without tham and about

Darklight's Build
Unread 03-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Wishbone
Senior Driver

I would go with more cutting over a 2" BL, the bumper is easy to trim, but understandable on the pinch weld, only so much you can do there. I agree with the sliders though.

Unread 03-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #12
Darklight
Old Timer

Yeah it is the pinch weld and fire wall that is concerning me right now,

Picture of my clearance in the firewall under 3/4 lock turning and 3/4 full stuff:

Darklight's Build

Last edited by Darklight; 03-18-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Unread 03-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
Wishbone
Senior Driver

I would say just start cutting and removing fender liner. I had to remove all the liner that you still have in there, and then beat down the pinch under there. I expect to have to do more once I put the 295 Kooks on as well.

Unread 03-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #14
Darklight
Old Timer

Nah, i've trimmed allot since that picture was taking. Cut more fender, cut more inner fender and metal fender framing behind the plastic fender. I still need to try and hammer the pinchwelds flatter. The fire wall is what concers me, rub the paint off them every time I go wheeling.
Darklight's Build
Unread 03-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
Wishbone
Senior Driver

OK, gotcha. I was about to say, you have a lot of work to do there still LOL.

Unread 03-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
Darklight
Old Timer

LOL, I also thought about removing the entire fender and cutting about 3" out of them like Happysmiley did as well as allot of Tacoma guys. Only thing is I can't do it to the rear fenders and would loose the rake look I currently have. I'm rethinking the larger whole body lift and I'm going to try hammer the pinch welds flatter.

Thanks for the input though!
Darklight's Build

Last edited by Darklight; 03-19-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Unread 03-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #17
Darklight
Old Timer

Replaced my front brake pads with the same Toyota ones. I got almost 79K out of the originals! Rotors looked fine, no scoring or uneven brake wear so I left them alone and just swapped out the pads. Waiting to receive my parts I ordered, black color keyed Toyota door handles to replace the SR5 chrome ones that I plastidipped. Rear weather strip for the liftgate window, mines dry rotted and falling apart. Black Weathertech digifit front floor mats, though they served me well my Toyota all weather mats have worn a hole through them near the gas pedal.

Planning on ordering some Metaltech lower links as well.

Bobby
Darklight's Build
Unread 03-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #18
HOJeepster
Driver

Is it a common problem getting firewall rubbage on 33's?
Unread 03-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #19
Darklight
Old Timer

Nah, not with 3" suspension and small body lift. There are variances in each vehicle but most are pretty close while some rub a little and other none. Like I said I think i'm just special.
Darklight's Build
Unread 03-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #20
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post

Planning on ordering some Metaltech lower links as well.

Bobby
Good call, avoid issues down the line. I found some weld on bushings that I may swap on to the axle end of mine down the road.