Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 03-05-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

Default Garmin Colorado

Roams and I picked up a couple Garmin Colorado 300's for our upcoming Arizona/Utah/Colorado expedition run.

The info I got from Garmin was to get the 300 which does not come with map software. It is apparently easier to plot routes on your laptop (using Topo 2008) and upload the routes and maps to the 300.

The 400 comes with maps all ready installed but you can't really do what I just described in the previous paragragh.

the screen is really good for a handheld sized unit. With the car mount, it was easy to follow while driving. I also like the 3D view ....pretty sweet!

Crozhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
bulldog
Admin

Looks cool. Is it a touch screen and what size is the screen? What do they price for?

I wonder if my 276c can use the new Topo 2008 3D maps.

Let us know how you like it, in terms of speed of getting your position from a cold start, routing speed, etc. I really like the way the screen is set up for driving vs the 276c which has a sideways screen (not so ideal for driving).

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Ryanmb21
Some Guy

Alright Croz!

That's the same unit I have, I believe that I recomended it to you on the expeditionportal board. It works great with TOPO 2008, I have no problems planning routes on my PC and sending them over.

I am a huge fan of the 60csx, it worked flawlessly for me, but the colorado's screen and grafix put it to shame.

Once I use it some more I will write a better review. Please let me know if you have any questions about it!
Ryanmb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Looks cool. Is it a touch screen and what size is the screen? What do they price for?

I wonder if my 276c can use the new Topo 2008 3D maps.

Let us know how you like it, in terms of speed of getting your position from a cold start, routing speed, etc. I really like the way the screen is set up for driving vs the 276c which has a sideways screen (not so ideal for driving).
It is not a touch screen but the scroll wheel is very easy to use. One hand functional when not in "mounted-in-car-mode".

Not sure about the 276c, this is the first gps I've gotten other than the factory nav. I would assume it'll be compatable, but check Garmin's site for sure.

So far, i think this will be a good mix, the in-dash Nav is much better on the street and just the same, the Colorado 300 is much better off-road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanmb21 View Post
Alright Croz!

That's the same unit I have, I believe that I recomended it to you on the expeditionportal board. It works great with TOPO 2008, I have no problems planning routes on my PC and sending them over.

I am a huge fan of the 60csx, it worked flawlessly for me, but the colorado's screen and grafix put it to shame.

Once I use it some more I will write a better review. Please let me know if you have any questions about it!
Thanks for the tip Ryan, I'm very happy with it. The screen is great, nice and bright and easy to follow while driving. I also like how easy uploading tracks and routes are, ....and the 3D view is really cool.
Crozhawk is offline   Reply With Quote