Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
Dealmaker
Senior Driver
 
Dealmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Bay
Posts: 530
Default Opinions requested on best approach to repair whiney rear end

Unfortunately our new-to-me '06 4Runner has a noticeable whine at the rear diff that I didn't notice when I bought it.
Trusty Toyota/Lexus mechanic here in Redondo Beach gave me three options:
1. Replace complete rear hub-to-hub with a used hub from his trusted used parts supplier for $1,150.
2. Replace just the 3rd member with a used 3rd member from his trusted used parts supplier for $1,085.
3. Replace just the 3rd member with a new 3rd member from Toyota for $2,058.

It's a 2WD with LSD, about 103k miles. Mechanic recommended option #1 but I thought I'd get opinions from here in case anyone has gone down this road before.
Option 1 and 2 obviously have the shortest warranties as I'm replacing used for used.

Thanks in advance for any opinions offered

Update: There was another option, rebuilding with a parts kit. I had a local transmission shop do it with an OEM parts kit for $1,200.
__________________
'04 4Runner 4X4 SE V8 - Shrockworks bumper - Hanna sliders - Donahoe CO's/Deaver springs/Bilstein 7100's - BFG KO 265/70/17
'06 4Runner 2X4 SE V8, for the kids
'06 LX470, for the wife

Last edited by Dealmaker; 01-29-2017 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added conclusion
Dealmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
bulldog
Admin
 
bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 12,209
Default

I didn't know the 4Runners even had LSDs, thought it was just electronic.

Whining is most likely just the 3rd, but the price difference is minimal for hub to hub, though I'm not sure exactly what that means.

Did you buy it from a dealer, if so they typically have a warranty period?????
__________________
andries
K9BDG

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Johnny4runner
Driver
 
Johnny4runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 70
Default

$1000 to put in a used 3rd? Not sure that is such a trustworth shop. A good used 3rd with a warentee should not cost more than $500, and should not take a shop more than 2 hours to put in. I would look into a independant shop or do the work yourself.
__________________
2003 4Runner Sport Edition V6 Galactic Grey
Front Radflo 2.5 / 650 lbs./in. springs, LR UCA
Rear Radflo 2.5 / AllPro 3.5, Medic Links
1" BL, GY Duratrac 285/70/17, Pro Comp 7089 17x8, BM chop
Bumpers (f/r): Shrockworks / CBI
Other: BAMF sliders, Engo 10K, 2 x MFC, 48" HiLift, backup light, Galaxy 979 CB & Yaesu FT-7900
Johnny4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
gm350reratliff
Driver
 
gm350reratliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Grants, NM
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny4runner View Post
$1000 to put in a used 3rd? Not sure that is such a trustworth shop. A good used 3rd with a warentee should not cost more than $500, and should not take a shop more than 2 hours to put in. I would look into a independant shop or do the work yourself.
I agree. $1000 seems a little high. I would double check the wheel bearings while you're in there and possibly replace for good measure. When the wheel bearings went south on my '08, it almost sounded like a rear diff whine.
__________________
Ron
2008 SR5 4X4 V6
Build thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...ld-thread.html
2014 4Runner TE
Icons, Camburg UCA's, SAW coils, Ridge Grapplers, BudBuilt sliders, some other stuff. Build thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ld-thread.html
gm350reratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
av8ter
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 30
Default

That third option is close to what the repair will run at Toyota, if not a little more expensive.
av8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #6
Dealmaker
Senior Driver
 
Dealmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Bay
Posts: 530
Default

It has a button on the dash that says Auto LSD, so I guess its electrically activated to become operable if turned on. The hub-to-hub means complete rear end, easier to swap the entire rear end versus pulling and replacing the 3rd I guess. Yes, bought used from a Honda dealer, overpaid, no warranty, and now this

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
I didn't know the 4Runners even had LSDs, thought it was just electronic.

Whining is most likely just the 3rd, but the price difference is minimal for hub to hub, though I'm not sure exactly what that means.

Did you buy it from a dealer, if so they typically have a warranty period?????

I don't have the tools or experience to do this myself, but I'll look for a solid less expensive indy shop. If anyone has any recommendations in the South Bay part of LA, pls advise.

Thanks for the input guys...very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny4runner View Post
$1000 to put in a used 3rd? Not sure that is such a trustworth shop. A good used 3rd with a warentee should not cost more than $500, and should not take a shop more than 2 hours to put in. I would look into a independant shop or do the work yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm350reratliff View Post
I agree. $1000 seems a little high. I would double check the wheel bearings while you're in there and possibly replace for good measure. When the wheel bearings went south on my '08, it almost sounded like a rear diff whine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ter View Post
That third option is close to what the repair will run at Toyota, if not a little more expensive.
__________________
'04 4Runner 4X4 SE V8 - Shrockworks bumper - Hanna sliders - Donahoe CO's/Deaver springs/Bilstein 7100's - BFG KO 265/70/17
'06 4Runner 2X4 SE V8, for the kids
'06 LX470, for the wife
Dealmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
bulldog
Admin
 
bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 12,209
Default

You can look up the parts pricing online for used parts and see how it looks to you.

I would get the whole rear axle for the small price difference.

Maybe check to see if someone has a stock 3rd available???
__________________
andries
K9BDG

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2016, 06:41 AM   #8
Robinhood4x4
Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 242
Default

The rear differential does not have a physical LSD. Auto LSD is a more aggressive computer controlled traction control via braking and throttle control.
http://www.ttguide.net/auto_lsd_system-70.html

Replacing the 3rd member requires basic hand tools like a ratchet wrench. If you're a weakling like me, then a floor jack makes life much easier but if you're buff you can bench press the 3rd member in place.

Marlin Crawler has brand new toyota elocker 3rd members for $1900, but then you still have to wire it in and make the switch mechanism. They also have brand new open diffs for $700, so that at least gives you a price point on what a brand new diff costs.
__________________
1993 4Runner, V6, Auto Tranny, SAS.
2007 4Runner, 4wd, SR5, V6, Toytech bilstein lift.
Robinhood4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
Staceman
Rookie
 
Staceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37
Default

I would be buying used due to those quoted prices....

2004
Carrier
Toyota 4Runner GOOD USED 59079C $550 Japanese Truck Dismantling USA-CA(Wilmington) Request_Quote 310-835-3100 Request_Insurance_Quote

2006
Carrier
Toyota 4Runner REAR GEAR SECTION ONLY,2WD,AUTO LSD B EE0506 $500 M and M Auto Parts, Inc. VARA USA-VA(Stafford) Request_Quote 1-800-586-5492 / Chesapeake 1-757-447-6051 Request_Insurance_Quote

2006
Carrier
Toyota 4Runner B1-4RUNCRR $500 Baja's #1 Auto Wrecking USA-CA(San-Diego) Request_Quote 619-661-6060 / 619-661-6062 Request_Insurance_Quote

2007
Carrier
Toyota 4Runner REAR AXLE; (3.73 RATIO), 4X2 B 00160712 $498.75 Barefield's Auto Salvage USA-AR(Russellville) Request_Quote 1-800-748-8811 Request_Insurance_Quote

2008
Carrier
Toyota 4Runner 41X11 3.73 RATIO CHECK FLANCH F097 $450 Toyo Parts Only USA-CA(North-Hollywood) Request_Quote 800-835-2444 / 818-765-0322 Request_Insurance_Quote
__________________
2007 SportEdition V8 4WD
Staceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #10
Dealmaker
Senior Driver
 
Dealmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Bay
Posts: 530
Default

Wow, thanks for the education, Robinhood. That makes sense, but not sure why they didn't just call it Rear A-TRAC instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
The rear differential does not have a physical LSD. Auto LSD is a more aggressive computer controlled traction control via braking and throttle control.
http://www.ttguide.net/auto_lsd_system-70.html

Replacing the 3rd member requires basic hand tools like a ratchet wrench. If you're a weakling like me, then a floor jack makes life much easier but if you're buff you can bench press the 3rd member in place.

Marlin Crawler has brand new toyota elocker 3rd members for $1900, but then you still have to wire it in and make the switch mechanism. They also have brand new open diffs for $700, so that at least gives you a price point on what a brand new diff costs.
Thanks Staceman. I actually saw that carrier listed in Wilmington, which is just down the road from me. Imma call a local independent trans shop tomorrow to get a quote on install if I provide the part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceman View Post
I would be buying used due to those quoted prices....

2004
Carrier
Toyota 4Runner GOOD USED 59079C $550 Japanese Truck Dismantling USA-CA(Wilmington) Request_Quote 310-835-3100 Request_Insurance_Quote

2006
Carrier
Toyota 4Runner REAR GEAR SECTION ONLY,2WD,AUTO LSD B EE0506 $500 M and M Auto Parts, Inc. VARA USA-VA(Stafford) Request_Quote 1-800-586-5492 / Chesapeake 1-757-447-6051 Request_Insurance_Quote

2006
Carrier
Toyota 4Runner B1-4RUNCRR $500 Baja's #1 Auto Wrecking USA-CA(San-Diego) Request_Quote 619-661-6060 / 619-661-6062 Request_Insurance_Quote

2007
Carrier
Toyota 4Runner REAR AXLE; (3.73 RATIO), 4X2 B 00160712 $498.75 Barefield's Auto Salvage USA-AR(Russellville) Request_Quote 1-800-748-8811 Request_Insurance_Quote

2008
Carrier
Toyota 4Runner 41X11 3.73 RATIO CHECK FLANCH F097 $450 Toyo Parts Only USA-CA(North-Hollywood) Request_Quote 800-835-2444 / 818-765-0322 Request_Insurance_Quote
__________________
'04 4Runner 4X4 SE V8 - Shrockworks bumper - Hanna sliders - Donahoe CO's/Deaver springs/Bilstein 7100's - BFG KO 265/70/17
'06 4Runner 2X4 SE V8, for the kids
'06 LX470, for the wife
Dealmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2016, 05:38 AM   #11
tigerwong58
Rock Ninja
 
tigerwong58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 342
Default

Did you check the fluid level? Maybe it's just low from a leak? If all is good, find a good used one and replace the entire assembly.
tigerwong58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mysterious smoke from rear end gaberelli 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf 30 09-14-2016 09:32 AM
Adjustable Rear Swaybar End Links!!! medic83 For Sale Members 137 04-23-2015 09:25 PM
'05 Front end lift w/ Rear Air Suspension Jinxman Suspension and Tires 8 02-14-2010 03:05 PM
Wabfab rear end links medic83 Suspension and Tires 16 11-21-2009 03:19 PM
Possible rear end options? JP4Crawler 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf 1 12-16-2007 04:08 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2013 Toyota120.com