Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 01-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
Clintr

Default CV Boots Leaking

Hello all,

Also a long term lurker here. After searching and reading others post on fixing the leaking CV boots, I decided to take my 4runner into the shop for a fix. My Nav on 2004 limited was also not working, thus kill two problems. Well, after waiting 5 1/2 hours at the dealer hoping for things to be fixed, i was only told that I was **** out of luck and nothing was going to be done. First off, I only have a 3" revtec lift with 265 toyo MT's on. No real hardcore offroading. 51,500 miles. My inner CV boot clamps, bothsides, are leaking. But because I have a lift on, nothing is covered. I even have a Toyota Gold extended warranty, no such luck using it also. So I told them to just regrease and replace the clamps and I'll pay out of pocket. No luck. Dealer refused to touch CV boots. The Nav, well, technician was going to lunch, would not work on it anymore and I would have to leave my runner at the dealer much much longer. Bull****. I order clamps myself from parts and will find a tire shop to replace the clamps. Nav, well, **** out of luck. I told service to just give me my keys because I am going to drive my runner into the ground and let everyone know my expericence and if I can deter one future customer from purchasing a Toyota from this dealer, then I will be happy
After today, I really lost faith in toyota especially JIM NORTON TOYOTA in TULSA, OKLAHOMA. Driving home, I just kept thinking, "what other Japanese 4X4 is out there to buy!".
Unread 01-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
CJ3Flyr

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Here's a great DIY. Whether you should go as in depth as he did or just do the clamps is a bit of a guess. If you drive in a clean environment and you've caught it early it should be fairly easy.

Good Luck!

Unread 01-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
Clintr

Thanks CJ3 for the information. Once the clamps come in I am going to take my 4runner to the place I purchased my Toyo tires. this tire shop was the only tire dealer who did a camber adjustment as part of my realignment so I respect their work. this camber adjustment was done 35,000 miles after my lift was installed. After I took it to goodyear and firestone for alignment. Before the camber alignment my BFG wear patter was horrible and vibrated like crazy. Now I can not believe how smooth and even weared the TOYO's are. So this shop will probably become my permanent repair shop and not the Toyota dealer.
The reason for taking it to the shop was that I did not want to have another tool to purchase that would sit around and be forgotten. That is if the clamps last and I do not have to do this again. I too was also thinking about using radiator clamps and tighten the hell out of them. But I was also concerned about the weight and balance of the clamp. I also thought about putting some RTV (automotice silicone) under the boot to seal it even more. Any thoughts?
Unread 01-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

My alignment guy is who fixed my leaky boots. Don't use radiator clamps, use CV boot bands - they make them for a reason. Silicon is a no-no, too. If they're done right they won't leak.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 BFG ATs on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
CJ3Flyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
My alignment guy is who fixed my leaky boots. Don't use radiator clamps, use CV boot bands - they make them for a reason. Silicon is a no-no, too. If they're done right they won't leak.

100%

It sounds like the Toyo dealer 'did you right' and that would certainly be a good place to start of you don't want to DIY it. Hose clamps do seem tempting but in the longhaul I think you'd end up damaging the boot (and not achieving a good seal) inpart due to the width of the clamp and in part due to the ability to crank down on the clamp (too much). If I were in the jungle and being chased by drug lords I might consider it as a "trail fix" but not as a solution.

I totally agree with you on your alignment comment too. It's simply amazing what a correct, full alignment can do and how many shops just check the toe-in and if everything else is sort-of near spec they leave it.

Last edited by CJ3Flyr; 01-13-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Unread 01-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Clintr

Just stopped by my local NAPA and Autozone. Bought all the clamps, crimper, grease, gonna do it myself. My dad always raised us to think, "if you want something done, do it yourself" attitude. That way you know its being done good and right. After reading more posts on fixing CV leaks I found the clamps that are interlocking so hopefully it will last longer. But 1 question, how hard is it to remove the Factory CV clamp?
Unread 01-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
CJ3Flyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintr View Post
But 1 question, how hard is it to remove the Factory CV clamp?
Good for you

I have always used high quality, medium-large "dikes" and just cut them... In case "dikes" is non-standard terminology: They are short-billed pliers that are strictly for cutting, not grabbing and cutting.

Unread 02-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
Fallz
Rookie

I can see the dealer not covering under warranty but I can't see why if you were to pay for it out of pocket why they would not do it.
Fallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
JAM07Sport
Senior Driver

I have never owned a Toyota 4r that the CV boots did not leak. But I also have never kept any of them stock. I am starting to think they are not really designed for off road use. The reason is I am seeing more stock FJ that are used off road with leaking boots. If they are stock then there should be no problem. I am actually said I would never buy another 4r for off road use this weekend. When I crawled under my 4r and the boots are leaking for the 3nd time with only 35,000miles on it. The first time they leaked was when it was stock and I drove through a field. I had the dealer fix them. The second time I had the OME lift and did some light wheeling they started leaking I rebanded and used sicilone now they are leaking again. I give up. This is the second 4r I have owned and the CV boots are the biggest pain in the ass.
Unread 02-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM07Sport View Post
I have never owned a Toyota 4r that the CV boots did not leak. But I also have never kept any of them stock. I am starting to think they are not really designed for off road use. The reason is I am seeing more stock FJ that are used off road with leaking boots. If they are stock then there should be no problem. I am actually said I would never buy another 4r for off road use this weekend. When I crawled under my 4r and the boots are leaking for the 3nd time with only 35,000miles on it. The first time they leaked was when it was stock and I drove through a field. I had the dealer fix them. The second time I had the OME lift and did some light wheeling they started leaking I rebanded and used sicilone now they are leaking again. I give up. This is the second 4r I have owned and the CV boots are the biggest pain in the ass.
Dude,
Something's not right. I don't think you can make a blanket statement about leaky CV boots and 4Runners as if it applies to all of them. I've had a lift on mine for over 2 years and am not afraid to beat on it. My CVs are bone dry after 55,000 miles. Are you getting them fixed at the same place over and over again? If so, it's time to find a new mechanic. Not busting on you, just staying focused on your particular issue. Good luck.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

95,000ml only one leak and its was minimal but got it fixed under warranty at 35,000m with a spacer lift installed. No reason for me to doubt a 4R for offroad.
04 V8 SE, F250 Solid Axles Swap, Marlin Crawl Case, FT Case swap, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper. Shrockworks F.Bumper
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
JAM07Sport
Senior Driver

I was not trying to make a general statement but I have no luck when it comes to toyota CV axels. It is to the point where the wife said it is time to buy a jeep. I spent so much time repairing the ones on my 99 which we had for 130,000miles I got fed up and traded it on a 07. Now I am back to square 1 again. I dont know what I am doing wrong but I have the same lift as many here do. I just have 2 many problems. I dont think I am hard on my equipment. I have personally repaired the boots 1 on the 07 and at least 10-15 times on the 99. I had the dealer try the 07 when it was stock. I just cant get a break.
Unread 02-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM07Sport View Post
I was not trying to make a general statement but I have no luck when it comes to toyota CV axels. It is to the point where the wife said it is time to buy a jeep. I spent so much time repairing the ones on my 99 which we had for 130,000miles I got fed up and traded it on a 07. Now I am back to square 1 again. I dont know what I am doing wrong but I have the same lift as many here do. I just have 2 many problems. I dont think I am hard on my equipment. I have personally repaired the boots 1 on the 07 and at least 10-15 times on the 99. I had the dealer try the 07 when it was stock. I just cant get a break.
Jeff,
Is the dealer fixing the CV boots under warranty? If he is, then at least it's no money out of your pocket, just wasted time. Maybe they're putting too much grease into the CV joint/boot, and it's "venting", is that even possible? Just thinking out loud... Little things like this really suck, I feel for ya, maybe try a different dealer for warranty work? You'd be surprised how different the tech dept can be. My dealer in Monterey, CA was excellent, the work was done well and I always got my truck back washed. Here in Killeen, TX I got kids who can't figure out how to take the skid plate off for an oil change, and the last time they stripped one of the bolts... and I never get it back washed (unless I pay $10). When I brought it in for a steering sensor issue, the tech spent 3 hrs on it and told me to come back on Monday when the "expert" was here. Bottom line is, delership techs vary far and wide, explore some other options before you condemn the platform.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
Unread 02-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mudder View Post
Maybe they're putting too much grease into the CV joint/boot...
Just looked up the specs on how much grease goes into the boots. The amounts are very specific.

Inboard CV joint assembly and boot take 231-241 grams or 8.1-8.5 oz. of grease
Outboard CV joint assembly and boot take 260-270 grams or 9.2-9.5 oz. of grease

So, only about 1/3rd of an ounce between max and min. Something to quiz your tech on the next time your CV boots get serviced. If you get an answer like "...oh, we usually squeeze in enough until its full..." then maybe it's time for a new dealer.

Also; the clamp clearance is also very specific. Once the clamp is tightened it can only have .8mm or .031 in. of clearance at the pinch.

Last edited by 4mudder; 02-16-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: addl info
Unread 02-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #15
Chuck
Driver

Quote:
Just looked up the specs on how much grease goes into the boots. The amounts are very specific.

Inboard CV joint assembly and boot take 231-241 grams or 8.1-8.5 oz. of grease
Outboard CV joint assembly and boot take 260-270 grams or 9.2-9.5 oz. of grease
Also; the clamp clearance is also very specific. Once the clamp is tightened it can only have .8mm or .031 in. of clearance at the pinch.

For DIYers, how does one measure that specific an amount of grease? A postage scale?
(For that matter, how does the dealer's tech do it?)

Also, does anyone have a photo showing the clamp clearance as described?
Unread 02-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #16
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
For DIYers, how does one measure that specific an amount of grease? A postage scale?
(For that matter, how does the dealer's tech do it?)

Also, does anyone have a photo showing the clamp clearance as described?
I'm going to guess it's fluid ounces, maybe use a large syringe? Turkey baster?

Here's the pic you wanted straight out of the repair manual...

Unread 02-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
Chuck
Driver

Quote:
I'm going to guess it's fluid ounces, maybe use a large syringe? Turkey baster?
If they had meant fluid ounces, they wouldn't have specified grams, which is mass (weight).

Thanks for the pic. Looking at it, I don't understand how those clamps work - it's not what I was expecting.
Unread 02-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #18
JAM07Sport
Senior Driver

Quote:
Jeff,
Is the dealer fixing the CV boots under warranty? If he is, then at least it's no money out of your pocket, just wasted time. Maybe they're putting too much grease into the CV joint/boot, and it's "venting", is that even possible? Just thinking out loud... Little things like this really suck, I feel for ya, maybe try a different dealer for warranty work? You'd be surprised how different the tech dept can be. My dealer in Monterey, CA was excellent, the work was done well and I always got my truck back washed. Here in Killeen, TX I got kids who can't figure out how to take the skid plate off for an oil change, and the last time they stripped one of the bolts... and I never get it back washed (unless I pay $10). When I brought it in for a steering sensor issue, the tech spent 3 hrs on it and told me to come back on Monday when the "expert" was here. Bottom line is, delership techs vary far and wide, explore some other options before you condemn the platform.
Well I am going for round 3 this weekend. A local dealer is giving me the bands under warrenty. I guess I will see how they hold up.
Unread 02-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #19
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Thanks for the pic. Looking at it, I don't understand how those clamps work - it's not what I was expecting.
Chuck,
Toyota uses a Special Service Tool (SST) to squeeze the bands around the CV boot. The clearance where the clamp is squeezed determines the clamping pressure on the boot. Full pic below...