Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Meet, Trail Runs, Expeditions and Land Use > Meeting, Trail run and Expedition reporting

Unread 09-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Talking 4th Annual Toy120 Mojave Road trip report!!!!!!

Another successful Toyota120 Mojave Road trip is in the books!!!!
Although a bit hot for September.......not all that bad...in fact, overall....the weather was great!!!!!

Friday......started out with me running a little late, which translated into about 45 minutes when we got to the Avi.

But, we got there....gassed up, and headed down the banks of the Colorado River, to the beginning of the Mojave Road @ mile 0.0.

Aired down, the got everyone together before leaving....introduced each other....and then we had a Moment of Silence for the victims of the September 11th attacks.

Great to meet all of the newer Toy120 members (except for Sid...met him in Big Bear...cool guy!) But...everybody was a newbie for this trip!!!!!! So, it was pretty neat showing this beautiful land to a new captive audience.....for their very first time!!!!

Got going, and it wasn't long for the carnage to begin!! Nothing major though....loose gas cans at first....loose roof racks......then the first and only flat of the trip.....

We stopped by the old house with the bar/hotel and steeple......and vandals have destroyed it!! This thing has been there forever.....100 years maybe??
Very depressing!!!
Anyway, as we were leaving there, Ron (Cyanwheeler) hit a semi hidden post or something, and ripped a hole in one of his 35" MTR's....
That set us back a bit longer!! And in the 108* weather!!

So, they get that all changed out, and we head up to Piute Creek and Fort Piute.
Got there, kicked back and had lunch, others also went down and explored a bit....made sure all we all had everything strapped down good......and headed out after about an hour.
Going up Piute Mt., Josh had more issues with cargo I think.....but, more importantly....Ron calls up and said that he found a perfectly good (new) spare tire and wheel in he middle of the road...what luck....as he had just blown one a couple of hours before!!!!!

Turns out, that it had belonged to Gary (wildhoggs), and the strap had come off, and his 33" tire rolled off of the back of his 4Runner....taking out his rear wiper at the same time!!

After a while...they got that all sorted out, and got the rest of the way up the mountain pass.
Stopped at the top, re-grouped took some photos of the pass we just came up, and headed over to show them all the Piute Gorge.

On the road, Sid asked (out loud!!) what the thing we just passed up was....it's a bunch of wooden poles sticking up out of the ground, in a circle?!

At which, I laughed....and told him that it's called a Corral!!!! Used to hold cows!!!

Anyway....that remained a running joke every time we saw more!!

Back to the Mojave Road after the Gorge, and to the Yellow School Bus.....took a few pictures, and on to the Penny Can.....after some fun on some cool off camber twisty stuff More photos!!

Got to the Mojave Road Penny can tree....and someone stole the damn Penny Can...and all the $$ with it!!
So, fearing bad luck along the Mojave Road, if we didn't leave some $$ in the non existant Penny Can.....we put up a new Penny Can, and everyone put some pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters in it, and we were on our way again.

Our next stop...our cool Caruthers Canyon campsite!!! About 40 miles away....I pointed out, that if they look at that big mountain way way uo there at the topo....that that is where we were camping.......when we got there, I think everyone dug it!! And, in the morning...we went almost to the very top!!

We arrived at camp about 6:30...which is really...only about 1-1.5 hours than I had planned.....so, not too bad!!! Got camp set up...and let the feast begin!!!!!
Lots of good food.....then the booze too!!!!!

After all is said and done, and we're all full.....and getting the Jagermiester chilled down (in Sid's fridge...as mine was full) we're all around the campfire b.s.ing...when I swear I hear an engine!!!!!
Then see some lights and wonder...who is coming up here in the middle of the night....see the HighLift mount on the bumper and knew who it was.

It was Ed (vegas runner)!!!! He got a wild hair...and just decided to run out there!!
So...we had mors

Oh yeah... on the way up to the campsite, Josh tried to follow me up an obstacle, and rolled back, and ripped off his resonator!! Got under his truck....and he actually had a sawzall....and cut the rest off!!!!! And, that was the end of Fridays carnage!!

Fridays pictures from my Nikon P80
http://gallery.me.com/my034runner#100423

NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...

Last edited by my034runner; 09-15-2009 at 08:13 PM.
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Saturday morning.......Had a great breakfast with lots to eat...after that we finally got rolling.
Then, it was up into the upper Caruthers Canyon. Our campsite is the prettiest in the Preserve....but it is even more pretty the higher you go up into the canyon!!
Got to the end of the upper Caruthers Canyon......then the biggest challenge.....rock crawling up higher into the Upper upper Caruthers canyon, a place where virtually, no one even attempts to go. I have climbed it once, so I knew that I could do it again, but I also knew, that there was only one other truck/person, that would even attempt this trail...Ron, and his SAS'd '88 4Runner!!!

Needed a couple spots on two sections, and Woody and Josh and Joel helped me out there....as it is a hairy trail, with a longgggggg ride down the side of the cliff into the canyon below!!
We got almost to the very top, but having gone all the way before, and knowing that there is really only one place to turn around, and I was close to rolling at that spot the one time I did it, I chose to turn around on the on flat spot before it went back up very steep again.....which really, is less than a quarter mile.
Josh took some cool pictures for me too!!!

After getting down from there, we all re-grouped and headed back down to the Mojave Road, then to Rock Springs, then the Rock House...and a bathroom break for everyone, as there is a bathroom there! Went through Government Holes, then it was on to the Mid Hills campground for a nice cool lunch break!!
At Caruthers Canyon, we were at 6000 feet + elevation.....at Mid Hills, we were at 5500 feet elevation, so it was a very nice spot to beat the heat and enjoy lunch.

Now, we are off of the Mojave Road again, but there a cool side trip that I've started taking people on, as it's fun and scenic. Plus, some high speed driving areas, which make it more fun too!!!!

Me, Ed and Sid make it to the Railroad, where we have to go under the tracks, and I just barely got through, without having to take anythong off of my roof rack. But, wondered, where the hell everyone else was?? Ron responded back on the CB, that Josh had just about lost his roof rack, when he got some air coming down the canyon road.
So, the three of us, hung out and waited for them to get it together. When they finally got there, we had to drop some stuff off of Woody's and Joshes rack, so they could get through.
Re-grouped, and headed down Kelso-Cima Road to get back on the Mojave Road, and up to our campsite @ Beal Mountain.

Got camp set up, had another feast...and back to the Jagermeister, Rum, etc.....

Sunday,
After getting going, we headed up to Marl Springs, and then to the Mojave Road Mailbox. Everyone signed the guest book, and donated items to the mailbox, and also checked out the Frog shrine.
I added a bobble head frog that I found at the Penny Can, and wrote Toyota120.com 4th annual Mojave Road trip on it, and placed it into the shrine!!! Also, it's a kind of wishing well of sorts, so a bunch of us, threw some change in there, and made our wishes.

Then...back down the road....our next stop....the Lava Tubes!!!
Took some really cool pictures (brought my tripod this time!!) and the we were on our way again.

Headed down the wash (high speed desert driving!!) to Seventeen Mile Point @ Kelbaker Road. Crossed the road, and made our way to Soda Lake. Stopped and gathered our lava rocks to add to the Travelers Monument, and went across the lake.

Stopped at the Travelers Monument, added our rocks, read the plague, then headed to the Mojave flood plains, and to Afton Canyon.
We played around on some of the sand dunes, then got going again.

Next stop, was the East end Afton Canyon railroad bridge, where we re-grouped, re-tied our cargo back down, snacked, and took photos.

Then, through Afton Canyon we went, no water in the canyon this time, like there was in April, and I still had two more surprise stopps for everyone, before we got to the water crossing.

And then....of course...there was the highlight of the trip....the Mojave Road s famous Afton Canyon water crossing!!!!

A few guys...had to do it a couple of times!!!

Re-grouped at the Afton Canyon campground, aired up our tires, used the bathrooms, dumped our trash, and said our goodbyes.....

The End of another successful Toyota120 Mojave Road trip!!!!

And Here's my pics from the P80 for Saturday and Sunday!!!!
http://gallery.me.com/my034runner#10...lack&view=grid

See you again next year for our 5th Annual NVTTORA Easter Mojave Road trip, and our 5th Annual Toyota120 Mojave Road trip.....be there or be square!!!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...

Last edited by my034runner; 09-15-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Unread 09-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
BlairB
Old Timer

Subscribed

2008 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD V6- Long Travel, Expo Rig Build Thread
2017 Tundra TRD Pro

2007 Porsche Cayman
BlairB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

I had fun with everyone that went on this expedition across the preserves. It was nice to meet new faces along with the old. Robert I have to give it to you for show us some alsome thigs. I like wheeling behide you. . Well, heres a few shots I got. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lexwoody; 09-16-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Lexwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

meet and greet

i packed a little too much up top

the mooooon

the first break

joel really sad about the destroyed bar

down for the count for only a few

lunch time

Last edited by the_josh; 09-24-2009 at 07:49 PM.
the_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
bulldog
Admin

OK guys quit reserving spots and post pix

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
09mgmdc
Rookie

Great offroad trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1822.jpg (636.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1758.jpg (654.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1781.jpg (677.2 KB, 40 views)
09mgmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
Chalk Outline
Driver

That was a great trip. A bit warm in the afternoon, but even at 105, it was a dry heat. Props to Robert for leading a terrific run and knowing where to find "da kind" camp sites and props to Woody for running that GX hard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3051 (Large).JPG (148.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3062 (Large).JPG (170.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3023 (Large).JPG (56.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3027 (Large).JPG (186.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2975 (Large).JPG (209.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2997 (Large).JPG (144.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2992 (Large).JPG (102.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2989 (Large).JPG (110.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2946 (Large).JPG (117.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2912 (Large).JPG (84.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2913 (Large).JPG (80.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2954 (Large).JPG (199.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3063 (Large).JPG (185.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3047 (Large).JPG (124.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3031 (Large).JPG (87.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2960 (Large).JPG (163.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2966 (Large).JPG (146.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2923 (Large).JPG (155.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3045 (Large).JPG (119.0 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Chalk Outline; 09-14-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Chalk Outline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Thanks Robert for organizing this trip. I had a good time. I am glad that I came out. It was really cool to meet all the new people.
Donahoes, OME 895/N142S, Conferr Rack, Hanna Sliders, Cobra 75WX CB, ARB Air, Dual Batts (24v/12v), Shrockworks Bumper, PIAA 510s & 520s, Rear Floodlights, Oil Filter Relo & Fumoto Valve, BumBuilt Skids, ATG620 Laptop & Docking Station, Kenwood D710A w/ APRS, GPS60, MM 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch, Capstan Winch, Power Steering Cooler & Filter, 1/2" RogerBrown Bodylift
Ed-KE7MWY
Vegas Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Runner View Post
Thanks Robert for organizing this trip. I had a good time. I am glad that I came out. It was really cool to meet all the new people.
No worries...glad you came out for a while.
Unread 09-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
bulldog
Admin

Very cool pix guys!!!

You guys sure pack heavy

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
Josh220
Old Timer

Cool pics guys
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #13
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post

On the road, Josh asked (out loud!!) what the thing we just passed up was....it's a bunch of wooden poles sticking up out of the ground, in a circle?!

At which, I laughed....and told him that it's called a Corral!!!! Used to hold cows!!!
that wasnt me, that was Sid
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #14
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post

Oh yeah... on the way up to the campsite, Josh tried to follow me up an obstacle, and rolled back, and ripped off his resonator!! Got under his truck....and he actually had a sawzall....and cut the rest off!!!!! And, that was the end of Fridays carnage!!
hey i made it up, the resonator just got in my way!
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #15
SidVicious
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_josh View Post
that wasnt me, that was Sid

It's true.

And, I had Taco Bell on the way home. Haha!
Suspension: DR C/O ~ DR Shocks ~ IVD Coils ~ Medic Links Wheels/Tires: 1.25" Spidertrax Spacers ~ Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/65/18 More: DO Front Bumper ~ Shrockworks Sliders ~ Slee Brake Lines ~ Nav in Motion ~ National Luna Dual Battery Kit ~ DieHard Platinum PM-1/PM-2 ~ Blue Sea Fuse Block - ARB Fridge
SidVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:33 AM   #16
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_josh View Post
that wasn't me, that was Sid

Really....sorry, all this time, I thought it was you!!!
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #17
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post

It's true.

And, I had Taco Bell on the way home. Haha!

I had Jack in the Box, and Woody, Gary and Ron had....drum roll please.............Del Taco!!!!!
Unread 09-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #18
DawgRunner
Senior Driver

Sounds like a blast!:: Looking forward to seeing more pics of this run.
Unread 09-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #19
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Looks like another great trip!
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #20
wildhoggs
Driver

Thumbs up 4th Annual Toy120 Mojave Road trip report!!!!!!

Had a good time. Best part was away from Vegas and work.. Note to self pack lite, ask for a spotter while backing, double check your tie downs straps every time you stop, get a fridge,and bring more tie downs just in case. All in all it's was fun ready to go again.

Last edited by wildhoggs; 12-16-2009 at 08:07 PM.
wildhoggs is offline   Reply With Quote